I've cracked the Valve announcement code

Mogi67

Companion Cube
Reaction score
So the 2nd big announcement from Valve is tomorrow. It will be something related to SteamOS, perhaps a hardware system or steambox or the like. They will then announce that the third announcement will be two days away, on September 27. The third announcement is a red herring. People will think "Oh, third announcement. Must be Half-Life 3" WRONG

The third announcement will be that source 2 is in development, and will have a demo for Left 4 Dead 3 or some other shitty game. Perhaps they'll just have a tech demo. Then three days from then they will announce the release date for Half-Life 3. That will take place on SEPTEMBER 30, 2013 - a decade after the original planned release date for HL2. TEN YEARS EXACTLY from the date that HL2 was supposed to come out they will announce the sequel.

I was sitting in my car eating McDonalds on break at work when it came to me. I couldn't believe it. I'm so ****ing exciting right now.

Sounds like fun. Actually not 100% denying this because of all the L4D3 leaks. But I still think Announcement 2 will be controler and announcement 3 will be steambox itself.... Or reverse.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I doubt this a little. I can see the Steam Box announcement, definitely see that, but I don't think that the third announcement will be Source 2, due to the fact that the announcements are pertaining to Steam itself, not any game or game engine. Also, I believe that your theory on an HL3 release is stretching it at best, and more likely to just be a coincidence.

2. Hardware. 3. Social Connectivity Stuff. The only reason I think this is because the SteamOS announcement was a little circle symbol, and the second announcement is a circle inside of a box.. sorta... and then the third is a circle + a circle.

The third announcement will be that source 2 is in development, and will have a demo for Left 4 Dead 3 or some other shitty game. Perhaps they'll just have a tech demo. Then three days from then they will announce the release date for Half-Life 3. That will take place on SEPTEMBER 30, 2013 - a decade after the original planned release date for HL2. TEN YEARS EXACTLY from the date that HL2 was supposed to come out they will announce the sequel.
I don't doubt that a game announcement from Valve would accompany a Source 2 announcement (as Gabe Newell basically said they wouldn't talk about Source 2 unless they had a game to show it off with), but what does Source 2 have to do with Steam itself? Valve seems to be pretty clear that their announcements will be Steam-related.

2. Hardware. 3. Social Connectivity Stuff. The only reason I think this is because the SteamOS announcement was a little circle symbol, and the second announcement is a circle inside of a box.. sorta... and then the third is a circle + a circle.

Oh you wanna bet?

None of you are adressing my claim of the HL3 announcement on the 30th. I have yet to see a convincing argument otherwise

How exactly does one refute pure speculation? Obviously it'd be cool if they announced it, but who's really to say one way or the other?

Actually though, I'm a little dubious that Valve would want to announce their most hotly anticipated title on the anniversary of basically their biggest misstep. "Hey, remember when we pissed everyone off? Well... HL3 mother****ers!!" I mean it'd be kind of hilarious if they did, buuuut...

I have yet to see a convincing argument otherwise
I have yet to see a convincing argument in support of your theory. I honestly thought you were just joking. Of course they're not going to announce it Monday. Why would they hype up three announcements, and then a few days after that's done, drop a huge announcement, bigger than the previous three announcements combined (in terms of how much publicity it would get) without any heads-up whatsoever? If they're going to announce anything relating to HL3 this month, its going to be on Friday. I don't expect it. Source 2 announcement is possible, but I'm not convinced on that either. Its likely going to be more closely related to Steam and/or SteamOS, rather than any game or engine. The announcements have all focused on the future of Steam itself, not affiliated products.

I would, of course, love to be proven wrong.

I have yet to see a convincing argument in support of your theory. I honestly thought you were just joking. Of course they're not going to announce it Monday. Why would they hype up three announcements, and then a few days after that's done, drop a huge announcement, bigger than the previous three announcements combined (in terms of how much publicity it would get) without any heads-up whatsoever? If they're going to announce anything relating to HL3 this month, its going to be on Friday. I don't expect it. Source 2 announcement is possible, but I'm not convinced on that either. Its likely going to be more closely related to Steam and/or SteamOS, rather than any game or engine. The announcements have all focused on the future of Steam itself, not affiliated products.

I would, of course, love to be proven wrong.

They hinted in the second announcement that the last one would be some kind of controller/input thing, so I doubt they'll turn around and announce Source 2 at this point. Someone else pointed out somewhere that Gabe also said they wouldn't announce Source 2 until they had a game to show on it (L4D3 lol).

Then again, if they were going to do an about face and make a fourth announcement, the way to do it would be to tease it in the third one to keep people interested. Like, "Hey guys there'll be another announcement in three days. That's three (3) days. 3. THREE. Mother****in' THREEEEEEEEEEEE YOU GUYS TINFOIL HATS THE **** ON."

They hinted in the second announcement that the last one would be some kind of controller/input thing, so I doubt they'll turn around and announce Source 2 at this point.

Wow I wish I were as delusional as you. Probably would be a lot happier

Hold on one sec.

mogi you **** up.png

Anybody ever tell you you're kind of a dick?
I'm pretty sure he's just taking the piss. Which is a phrase I with Americans would use more, because last time I said it I got weird looks.

I was sitting in my car eating McDonalds on break at work when it came to me. I couldn't believe it. I'm so ****ing exciting right now.
Yes, you indeed are a really exciting person.

Back