K Guys Need Sum Help :(

addy

Reaction score
my bro built a new pc yesterday and it working fine in windows and stuff, but when he goes to gaming theys stutter like crap :(. like medal of honour pacfic assualt on medium settings jerkys so much its kinda unplayable. also cs source he gets 40fps max drops to 25ish with 1 person on server/screen :(. any ideas, i think its to do with mobo drivers but not to sure. the ati catalysts are installed. cry

his specs - 3.2 Intel
1GB RAM
x800 PRO PCi-Express
Mobo Asus P5GD1

i been on asus website and cant find the drivers :( its really confuses theres alot of stuff on there

any help wud be wicked. thx alot

-addy ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(

if regular stuff is working but games are screwy it is most likely vid drivers or card related

try uninstalling the cat drivers then use DriverCleaner to completely erase all traces of the ati install and then reinstall the newest cat drivers (4.12), then turn down all the settings in the ati control panel to 'performance settings' and turn off vsinc

the other problem might be a heat issue if the heatsink-fan is not sitting supert tight to the vid card core

vsinc should not be the issue. almost all games have it disabled by default, because many people find it distracting or annoying.

I've heard that there is an 'AGP fast writes' setting that can cause this. Honestly I don't know where one changes this, but you should check the BIOS, the driver setup panel, and the game settings to try it out.

Phisionary said:
vsinc should not be the issue. almost all games have it disabled by default, because many people find it distracting or annoying.

I've heard that there is an 'AGP fast writes' setting that can cause this. Honestly I don't know where one changes this, but you should check the BIOS, the driver setup panel, and the game settings to try it out.

'fast writes' is under the 'Smartgart' tab in the ati control panel and I agree trying turning it off

I have an ASUS motherboad and in the bios under advance chipset the is an option to enable fast write. I beleive this must be set to enable as well.

'fast writes' is under the 'Smartgart' tab in the ati control panel and I agree trying turning it off

i havnt got that tab with newst ati catalyst drivers, i cant even format the pc now it cant find the IDE drive yet it loads into windows fine. :(

RogueFox said:
I have an ASUS motherboad and in the bios under advance chipset the is an option to enable fast write. I beleive this must be set to enable as well.

Yea, turn that off, fastwrite was ruining my gaming experience when I bought my Radeon 9800 Pro, seriousily I was really disapointed until I turned it off.. took me awhile to realize it was fastwrite to! For the original poster, make sure fastwrite is off in BIOS and Control Panel, and while your in BIOS make sure you AGP aperture size is whatever MB your graphics card is. I had a 64mb card previousily, now I have a 128mb and it was showing as 64mb so I moved it up. Good luck!!!

just turned everything to low in the ati display panel , well everythign to performace laoded source went to load a map and everything went blank :'(. this is REALLY annoying

will changing the AGP aperture size matter if i have pc-i express card?

damn double post :(. cant find fastwrite or AGP arcture in my BIOS anywhere :( this is wierd

I wonder if the fast write even matters with PCI Express? But under advance chipset options in your bios there is an option to enable or disable fast write. This is the motherboard bios I am talking about.

I think fast writes is an AGP only setting, so that would explain why it doesn't show up.

Yeah, AGP fast-writes use PCI cycles to talk to the CPU.
PCI-Express isn't on a parallel bus though, it's a serial link.

Do you have any drivers installed at all? You have the ati control panel, so you probably have default drivers. If you can't figure out how to download from ati.com or fiddle with your bios you're a bit lost mate.

Asus said:
Yeah, AGP fast-writes use PCI cycles to talk to the CPU.
PCI-Express isn't on a parallel bus though, it's a serial link.

Can you elaborate that explantion a bit? How would that affect the fast write option?

aye i installed intel chipset drivers sum raid controller drivers even the new ati drivers, only thingthat isnt new on the pc is the harddrive its a cuople of years old wud that be a problem? :(.

nm guys found out the problem, was his stonage age Harddrive or the way his drivers are installed. becuase i put my harddrive in his comp and it runs like 3x better even with my drivers lol. thank for ya help guys. gunna go get a SATA harddrive for his pc now.

Back