L4D2 - Top 10 Concerns

Dear Samon,

I hate your new Avatar, please bring back the duck or breen

Love,

BHC

I would think a chainsaw would come in handy in the new 'rolling panic events'... especially if you run out of ammo on your primary. You are getting a kill instead pushing the same zombie back a couple of times before they finally die.

Melee weapons are important; they are a definite improvement on the gun melee nonsense - I think there is definite scope for them to elevate the gameplay in that way. But, there is no need for them to be so tacky. A chainsaw? A frying pan? I don't like it, and what's worse is that Valve are using them as their advertising platform - melee weapons have become that heart and soul of the reason for L4D2, and I don't think that is the way forward. They're not so much actual substance as they are a thin coat of it.

L4D2, so far, may compensate in areas where elements of L4D were broken, but I haven't seen any steps toward redeeming it where it is at its worst: shallow and simplistic.

The problem is pistol ammo is still infinite whilst there are melee weapons. I think it is said in one of the gameplay video.

over 6000 valve customers have signed up to the Group L4D2 Boycott.

so you are saying, all those people are stupid ?

I didn't know a group of idiots are called 'smart'!

Oh wait, they aren't.

over 6000 valve customers have signed up to the Group L4D2 Boycott.

so you are saying, all those people are stupid ?

Yes.

At least the boycott will keep the stupid players away from L4D2, so it is actually a blessing.

Melee weapons are important; they are a definite improvement on the gun melee nonsense - I think there is definite scope for them to elevate the gameplay in that way. But, there is no need for them to be so tacky. A chainsaw? A frying pan? I don't like it, and what's worse is that Valve are using them as their advertising platform - melee weapons have become that heart and soul of the reason for L4D2, and I don't think that is the way forward. They're not so much actual substance as they are a thin coat of it.

L4D2, so far, may compensate in areas where elements of L4D were broken, but I haven't seen any steps toward redeeming it where it is at its worst: shallow and simplistic.
The more I think about it, the more it seems like what's keeping L4D shallow and simplistic is the Source engine.

My thoughts are;

Why is Valve releasing a sequel just one year after the original? It took 6 years for them to make HL2.

If they can make L4D2 in one year what the hell are they doing with EP3 / Portal 2 etc?

I thought we were going to get DLC and have to wait like 20 years for a sequel, as is usual for Valve?

The game looks good and i wouldn't mind the change in scenery and music. It really smacks that people have such little faith in Valve, the artice was written in such a way that gives Valve no credibility.

THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING, WE AREN'T GOING TO GET BARN DANCE MUSIC!

...there is nothing remotely appealing or ‘cool’ about a chainsaw and a frying pan. It is garbage and it is distasteful, and most of all, it is pointless in that it merely layers very thin coats of substance on a game already significantly lacking it, and parades them in a way I would never have expected Valve to ever do.

Left 4 Dead rising.

/see what i did there

My thoughts are;

Why is Valve releasing a sequel just one year after the original? It took 6 years for them to make HL2.

If they can make L4D2 in one year what the hell are they doing with EP3 / Portal 2 etc?

I thought we were going to get DLC and have to wait like 20 years for a sequel, as is usual for Valve?

The game looks good and i wouldn't mind the change in scenery and music. It really smacks that people have such little faith in Valve, the artice was written in such a way that gives Valve no credibility.

THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING, WE AREN'T GOING TO GET BARN DANCE MUSIC!

People aren't complaining that the wait is too short, they're complaining BECAUSE Valve usually takes a long time and it always creates a stunning mix of gameplay and plot. The thing is about this is that it's just coming out so early and so suddenly no one can really say they expect much from it, especially since they seem to only be reskinning everything. Apparently there was so much great new content that could have been added in, like, a new skin for this or that or a new special zombie or some stupidity like that, but it seems that Valve's getting desperate for a quick buck by trying to retain their "If you pay to get into the amusement park, the rides should be free" by simply making a new game for every little idea that pops into their minds.

People aren't complaining that the wait is too short, they're complaining BECAUSE Valve usually takes a long time and it always creates a stunning mix of gameplay and plot...

Cool, that's basically the point im eluding to, no-one complains when something awesome comes so soon. One of the things i thought would be awesome would be new bolt on campaigns, doesn't seem that that will happen now.

Also, i thought L4D was in an updated version of the source engine? It says so on startup, and in loads of references to the game.

Also, i thought L4D was in an updated version of the source engine? It says so on startup, and in loads of references to the game.

Every of Valve's Source games since Lost Coast have used an updated version.

Yes.

At least the boycott will keep the stupid players away from L4D2, so it is actually a blessing.

Therefore you conclude that twelve thousand people, including myself, many members of this forum, and several of my friends are stupid.

Maybe it's best to say there's a lot of stupid people on the Internet and end it at that.

I think it would be more accurate and just to say that there are a lot of stupid people in the world.

Its definitely time to trim the heard it seems.

I love how people are complaining about them making L4D2 and wondering where the hell EP3 and Portal 2 etc are.

Isnt it obvious? They have different teams working on each game just like every other company (unless they have only one project going of course).

And lets face it, want them to rush L4D2 or EP:3 and Portal 2? See, point proven.

And lets face it, want them to rush L4D2 or EP:3 and Portal 2? See, point proven.

I want them to rush neither of them, and, in my opinion, Left 4 Dead 2 does not feel rushed. But I'd rather have them rush Portal 2 or Left 4 Dead 2, I want Episode Three to be... Well, better than Episode One and Episode Two, at the very least. And longer.

I have seen alot of these fires start in the last 5 years, it tends to behave alot like a virus, the truely ignorant whiney people deliberately force those who dont follow things closely to catch the wrong end of the stick, they convince people that they are being wronged by the evil company and they jump on the bandwagon, friends talk to friends, groups get started, and soon enough the moaning is being reported more than the actual infomation.

One example is the overuse of the word 'PROMISE', it is extremely rare that a company will ever use that word to describe anything, even jokingly. If you acctully read the interviews and press releases most infomation exist as "Maybe's" and "Possibly's" yet the forums grab hold of them and turn them into definite facts. Yes they spoke about work on new weapons and content, but none of it was set in stone, only fansites portrayed it as such.

Thats not to say however that companies shouldnt be aware of this and try and control how infomation gets out, but would it be any better to be in a situation where they tell us nothing at all?

I think what Samon is trying to say here is that he is a fan of slapstick comedy.

The game should have simply been called Left 4 Dead: Dead Orleans (or some such) and should have been a $20 expansion.

Until then, I will remain a member of the L4D2 Boycott group that now numbers over 18.5k and won't be buying the game until it is in the 20 dollar range.

Back