Level Select

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
In the original Half-Life, is there some sort of cheat I can use to select a level? Steam Cloud didn't restore my saved game.

Thanks!

...Where can I find better details on how to get into this so-called "console"?

To access the cheat codes you must have the console enabled, to enable the console start the game using "hl.exe -console"
This can be done from a MS-DOS window, the run line in Windows or you can create a shortcut to hl.exe and edit the shortcut adding the -console.

http://www.computerhope.com/games/games/halflife.htm

An easier way of doing this, rather than using a DOS window is by right clicking on your Half Life shortcut, going into Properties, look for Target and at the end of the quotes, add a space then -console.

One more question: Which map has the giant fan in it? The one where I need to turn it on, then throw grenades up into the air so they can hit the ceiling and destroy wooden planks?

That's where I left off on my last computer. I was trying to figure out how to get up there...possibly by using the fan.

Thanks for all your help!

....Wait, it doesn't recognize hl.exe. Is it because I downloaded it from Steam rather than a disc?

That method works if you asked Steam to make a Half-life shortcut on your desktop or you use the old before Steam version. Right click Half-life in Steam and go to properties, click the 'set launch properties' button and put -console in there, press OK. Launch the game and press the ' button (below ESC, next to number 1) to open the console.

Glad you're back to playing Half-life, I'm watching!

That method works if you asked Steam to make a Half-life shortcut on your desktop or you use the old before Steam version. Right click Half-life in Steam and go to properties, click the 'set launch properties' button and put -console in there, press OK. Launch the game and press the ' button (below ESC, next to number 1) to open the console.

Glad you're back to playing Half-life, I'm watching!
Ironically I was able to convince my father to let me get back to Half-Life on the same night as when I told you "it could be awhile".

I keep typing /map c1a2a and various other maps into the console and NOTHING HAPPENS. Am I forgetting something?

edit: nvm, I got it.

Back