Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

madog

Reaction score
Over the last week I have gotten the chance to play Capcom's newest release, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, a third-person shooter for the Xbox 360. It exceeded my expectations. First off, the combat was awesome. There are tons of ways in which you can dispose of your enemies whether you are in a VS (Vital Suit, it's like a mech) or on foot. You could even take off weapons from the VS's and use them on foot but your mobility would be impaired. It was still sweet to take a huge shotgun off a VS and go straight up to a foot soldier and blast them away. Another great feature of the game is the grappling hook you have when on foot. It allows you to access places too high to jump to and provides a good escape when you need to get to a ledge to escape hordes of Akrid or some NEVEC goons.

The VS's are what you will be fighting in a majority of the time. There are many different VS's you can choose from in each level and each has specific strengths and weaknesses. For example, some VS's can hover while others can't. Some VS's are really slow but have a special missile weapon or the ability to double jump or some feature that makes up for a weakness it has. One of the thing's I liked most about the game, even though it was a pain at sometimes, was that there was a boss at the end of each level just like the good old games. It was a kind of stressful at times but the challenge made the game more enjoyable and filled me with a great sense of relief after the bosses health bar finally disappeared after the 5th time or so trying (not all are that hard just some of them). Besides the bosses, one thing that might scare some players is that you have thermal energy (T-eng) that you have to acquire to stay alive in this harsh environment which is obtained from killing enemies or other sources such as tanks filled with the energy. I thought this energy would be a problem at first, but as I played more into the game I found that it was not hard to come by. Many times you will have more than enough energy to complete the level so you can explore a little and try to find hidden target marks.

The game is set in on an icy planet called EDN III. You are a snow pirate named Wayne Holden who seeks revenge for his father's death and is trying to stop NEVEC's plan as his father would have. The cool thing about this game is that it has a very immersive story that you are actually filled in on, an amazing concept to those of us who play Half-Life 2. I enjoyed watching the long cut-scenes that played after each level to inform you on what it is you accomplished and will accomplish in the game. Overall I must say this game is incredible and had some of the best game play out on the Xbox 360. Like Gears of War, it is a must get for any Xbox 360 gamer. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I have.

Ya same here. Felt like shit, story didnt interest me, Combat was Serious Sam advanced.

I played 10 minutes,and I didn't like it at all.

Play past the first level. I was the same way but I got into it after I got into the next few levels. A game can't go all out on the player right at the start. That's why it gets harder as it progresses like most games.

madog that read as an advertisement..

Anyway, I've done the first 3 missions and the story is meh but SP is bearable so far, I'm yet to try MP.

Its another Gears Of War wannabe. Played it in the local Game store the day it was released, didnt like it at all in all honesty. Felt sluggish in the controls, combat is cool but, ironically, theres too much of it.

I dunno, may get it on a sale after i get some more money in a couple of months.

Tried it. Not impressed. Definitely not the app to get me to buy a 360.

Its another Gears Of War wannabe. Played it in the local Game store the day it was released, didnt like it at all in all honesty. Felt sluggish in the controls, combat is cool but, ironically, theres too much of it.

I dunno, may get it on a sale after i get some more money in a couple of months.

it's nothing like gears. i haven't really played sp yet, i'm hooked on mp. level 31 i think.

3rd person, trying to win with graphics and it somehow just felt similar for the 5 mins or so i played it.

i find that laughable, the gameplay couldn't be more different other than if they weren't 3rd person shooters. other than this they aren't similar at all.

Well I personally think you shouldnt buy a console just for 1 game. You should just get an Xbox 360 because a lot of good games are being released for it, this being one of them. Wii is not up to my standard of gameplay and PS3 which I played at my friends house is kind of a joke and is not worth the price in my opinion. I think Xbox 360 has really delivered the next generation system while the others haven't quite got there.

Well I personally think you shouldnt buy a console just for 1 game. You should just get an Xbox 360 because a lot of good games are being released for it, this being one of them....

That's the problem. There isn't a title on the 360 that makes me want it. I want to want one. I play everything my friend buys and/or rents. I just haven't found something that makes me want one. Lost Planet included. Maybe BioShock will interest me when I try it, maybe it won't. All I need is one title to push me over the hump, but I just haven't seen it yet. No offense intended by the way.

3rd person, trying to win with graphics and it somehow just felt similar for the 5 mins or so i played it.
Err, there are tons of 3rd person games before GoW so is GoW a 'wannabe' of those ?

Also, this game doesn't focus on graphics nearly as much as GoW does and the gameplay is totally freaking different.

What is wrong with you ?

I feel it is a game that can measure up to something like GoW. Its got some very unique qualities of gameplay that I really like. The explosion graphics look pretty cool. There's not as much chainsaw gore action as in GoW but it makes up for that with VS's and some cool weapons.

Back