Major issues... help?

AnotherHunter

Reaction score
I just bought Counter-Strike: Source off of steam and I’m having some major issues. I started with a ton of error messages which I eventually worked out and now I have more error codes come up. After I double click a server it loads just about one bar then it minimizes itself and these codes are displayed:
- The parameter is incorrect
- Model models\Gibs\wood_gib0le.mdl not found and models/error.mdl couldn’t be loaded
- Unable to launch restart.exe

Also, if I get farther along the loading process I either run into:
- Disconnected. Server is enforcing consistency for this file materials/flashbang_white (or something to that effect, sorry I don’t have the real code)
- Failed to load after 4 retries

Other times I have been loading the game and a hl2.exe has failed to launch (or something to that effect) or hl2.exe is having problems and needs to be reported (the Microsoft send or don’t send error message) comes up.

I’ve looked through countless sites and forums and tried everything. I’ve reinstalled the game twice and tried a bunch of other things people have suggested on different sites. I just downloaded it the other day and I haven’t been able to connect and play even once.
Anyone know what to do or try?

I assume since you've tried a lot of things you've tried to verify your game flies? You can do it by right clicking the game in steam, go to properties, then go to local files tab, then 'Verify integrity of game cache'. Let it run through and if it finds something wrong with it then it'll download what's needed.

Other than that I can't think of anything. It just sounds like you're missing your gib0le model and the flashbang texture, so...

Alright... so now i see the loading screen then before i hit the main menu the screen is black (but i still have a mouse). When i minimize it still corrects the resolution and when i go to the task manager it says CSS is still running so when i close it that way it instantly closes so it doesn't crash or anything.

Any ideas?

What are your computer specs, out of curiosity?

I'm on a Dell Latitude D630 with XP Professional Version 2002 (intell core 2 duo and T7250 @ 2.00GHz 777MHz, 0.99 GB of RAM), Service pack 3, DX 9.0c, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0. Oh and a 200 GB external hard drive to keep music and stuff to keep the laptop faster.

Not the best... but hey, it was free.

Well that should be fine to actually run the games perfectly, so I have no idea why it's not displaying anything. Have you tried joining a server from outside CSS? Maybe it might work if you bypass the main menu and go straight into a game. You can do it from the server list in steam, just set the filter to Counter-Strike: Source.

When i try that it just takes me to the page in steam to buy Counter Strike (not CSS either)

Ah, make sure in the server list that you're actually trying to join a CSS server. It is really confusing but I've seen 1.6 servers show up in even CSS filtered server browsers. It'll say the game just before the ping.

Okay so I got past the black screen this time and while loading a server these appeared... "Model models\Gibs\wood_gib0le.mdl not found and models/error.mdl couldn’t be loaded" and "The application of DLL C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Symantec Shared\DefUtDCD.dll is not a valid windows image. Check this against your installation diskette."

These should have been fixed when I verified the integrity of the game cache!

I haven't a clue I'm afraid. I've seen on the main steampowered forums cases where actual VALVe employees have helped with weird cases like this. Try signing up to the main forums at www.steampowered.com and personal messaging someone like Smash who might be able to put you in touch with someone working at VALVe who could go through it with you.

On another forum someone told me to turn off symantec or other virus blockers. It totally worked.

Well congrats :). Hope you have fun with the game.

Back