Minecraft Things Have Happened

Wheaties-Of-Doom

Space Core
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here plays or even particularly cares about the game, but Mojang (the folks who made and run Minecraft) have been purchased by Microsoft for 2.5 billion dollars. Worst possible outcome of all of this is Microsoft gets all corporate-oversight-y and starts making "smart" business decisions for the game. Best case scenario, Mojang merely gets the funding of a corporate behemoth and continues to do cool things.

Thoughts? Musings? Do you even care?

Last edited:
All kinds of ridiculous.

Try not to get to worked up. Hopefully Microsoft is smart enough to know that they can very easily make an entire fanbase dislike them, and hopefully will proceed with caution and not do anything stupid.

Try not to get to worked up. Hopefully Microsoft is smart enough to know that they can very easily make an entire fanbase dislike them, and hopefully will proceed with caution and not do anything stupid.
More then probably. I just... can't help but feel uneasy 'bout the whole thing. The fate of all those poor EA satellite companies is ringing in my mind.

Though some might call him a hypocrite for his comments against Facebook buying Oculus, then selling his company to Microsoft a few months later; I can't really say I blame him. 2.5 Billion is a pretty sweet chunk of change, for game that seem to have reached it's peak. He was tired of getting constant attention for every little thing he did, and blame for any problem people may have had with Minecraft. So in a weird way, he sold one of the largest and most successful Indie games of all-time, to become independent again.

Speaking of big companies buying game related stuff, After many rumors of google buying twitch.com, ....Amazon bought twitch..... and I'm not exactly sure why...

Though some might call him a hypocrite for his comments against Facebook buying Oculus, then selling his company to Microsoft a few months later; I can't really say I blame him. 2.5 Billion is a pretty sweet chunk of change, for game that seem to have reached it's peak. He was tired of getting constant attention for every little thing he did, and blame for any problem people may have had with Minecraft. So in a weird way, he sold one of the largest and most successful Indie games of all-time, to become independent again.

This. At first I was ready to call him a hypocrite, but after reading his blog post on the matter, I can understand where he's coming from. Nobody really knows what it's like to be in a position he's in, and what he's been through. He wants to return to what he loves doing, which is not being on top of a gigantic game franchise.

He wants to return to what he loves doing, which is not being on top of a gigantic game franchise.
It's pretty sad that singular games can now be referred to as "franchises".

It's pretty sad that singular games can now be referred to as "franchises".
Minecraft hasn't been just a single PC game for quite some time. It has several releases across consoles and mobile devices, and there is a ton of merchandising. It's huge. Whatever you want to call that, Notch is not interested in owning it, or specifically, being responsible for it.

Last edited:
Minecraft hasn't been just a single PC game for quite some time. It has several releases across consoles and mobile devices, and there is a ton of merchandising. It's huge. Whatever you want to call that, Notch is not interested in owning it, or specifically, being responsible for it.
Sure, but all the different versions are Minecraft are still the same core game, just differently updated versions of it. It's the merchandise Microsoft is probably most interested in.

Sure, but all the different versions are Minecraft are still the same core game, just differently updated versions of it.
"Differently crippled versions" may be a bit more accurate when describing the console versions. Crafting is a clunky mess on them.

Sure, but all the different versions are Minecraft are still the same core game, just differently updated versions of it. It's the merchandise Microsoft is probably most interested in.

That, and getting Minecraft on the Windows phone.

Mojang could only do so much and thinking that notch has built this from nothing is amazing! Microsoft will hopefully make it a lot better and take things to the next level. Yes it may take them a while to get up and running, but the outcome will be outstanding!

Back