Most articles just about games on Steam

Fiberawptic

Reaction score
Most of the front page articles are just "This game is coming to steam!" "This game is now on sale" bla bla bla. No disrespect, but can't we cut back on that for only the games that are either highly anticipated or if theres a crazy deal? Because i feel like im looking at an add page or the steam front page when i read the news here. What you guys post is the same thing we would see if we log onto steam ourselves which most of us do so we already know anyways. Thus its kind of repetitive and pointless, imo. Seeing how lots of games come to steam all the time, i dont see the point in reporting all or most of them.

Now i don't know how the site works, some one told me a while ago that this site is owned by Valve and they check up on it every now and then. So i would understand if this was a corporate issue or you were paid to do this. but if that persons wrong and this is simply a fan site, i would recommend less of the commercially stuff. Thats just me. I do understand the news can get pretty slow when it comes to Valve, and that its nice to let people know that the site is always updated, but still. Again, its all my opinion, and the point of any thread is to discuss.

Valve pay the hosting bills, they don't have any editorial or content control (or at least, they've never attempted to exert any)
We post that stuff because it's news, and the front page would be pretty empty without it.

Don't read the front page. Problem solved.

What else would they post? Valve are to slow to give us any update on their games, and the main page would be empty without Steam news.

Would you like to see lowpoly unskinned shitty models from crappy mods?
Hm, most you say? Out of 20 news posts on main page 3 are about new game release.

Don't listen to OP. I like knowing what games are released on steam. There have been several times where I come here and see that a game I like is now on Steam and I go buy it.

I dont read the updates when I start steam either, because usually I start steam for a reason (to play a game) and I'd rather play than read the popup updates.

50% off on L4D. If I didn't own L4D that would be incredibly good to know.

I don't know any deals about Steam or any new games coming to it unless Halflife2.net tells me, so I think it's good.

I'm rarely even aware there is a main page to hl2.net that is anything other than the forums.

I discover it maybe once every year.

Great way to start out your argument :angel:

I'm sorry that I was straight to the point with my first sentence. I'll make sure to sugar coat the things I mean to make it less obvious next time.

We will continue to post the newest releases on Steam and offers for Steam games. What you don't know is that there are tonnes of new games coming to Steam nearly every week. Trainz 1/2/3 simulator recently, did we news post that? It's something the content team weights up and decides.

We post all Valve news which needs to be posted, and major mod releases and updates. We won't post a couple of skinless renders from mods because we get MASSIVE flame wars for the boring uninventive nature of the media release, so we post good updates full of interesting info on mods and trailers (SteamWorks too).

Also the interest in major releases on Steam such at Bioshock, COD4, GTAIV, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2...people want to buy these games on Steam! Sure Valve profit, but people like playing their games through a content delivery system & sharing their experiences with the community.

I will admit the Ubisoft & Codemasters updates this week are too large (with too many banners) and we will approach this differently in coming updates, but rest assured we will add these news articles still.

If anyone else has any other feedback, it's always welcome.

50% off on L4D. If I didn't own L4D that would be incredibly good to know.

Seriously. If it wasn't posted here I wouldn't have logged on at all this weekend. Hell some of us, like krynn said, probably ignore most popups.

I think it would be really cool if maybe you guys did some interviews with upcoming indie developers who are using steamworks. Anything that involves us more into the steam community would be awesome, since just hl2 is such a narrow field..

Anyways you guys have done a great job on the site, keep it up.:thumbs:

Would you like to see lowpoly unskinned shitty models from crappy mods?
Hm, most you say? Out of 20 news posts on main page 3 are about new game release.

The #1 type of news story I look our for is mod news.

Please ban user "Hectic Glenn" because he abuses me.

If you don't like a news post, just ignore it. Others may benefit from it (I know many people who didn't know about the L4D %50 sale and found out about it here on hl2net)

Valve pay the hosting bills, they don't have any editorial or content control (or at least, they've never attempted to exert any)
That you know of.
I hear that hired goons are sent to beat up Munro if he forgets to post about Valve's latest press release.

What we really need is "girl of the week/month" news.

If you don't like a news post, just ignore it. Others may benefit from it (I know many people who didn't know about the L4D %50 sale and found out about it here on hl2net)

Yes, it wasn't an urgent piece of feedback and it doesn't matter either way. I was just giving my personal feedback.

The L4D 50% off was one of the few steam game deals that should've been announced on the front page..

You say most people look at what is posted here when they log into Steam...

What about the MANY people that just leave Steam logged in...? Quit whining, and if you don't like it, bookmark the forums.

It's about news....new releases, prices, etc are NEWS.

Back