Multiplayer Action

StarBob

Tank
Reaction score
I just wanted a thread focused on multiplayer since I finished it last night. It really doesn't seem like it has any groundbreaking story elements until the end and that seems to be just a cool thing to reward you (though all that scanning got boring). The gameplay was fantastic. I don't think I've ever had so much fun in a two player cooperative game. I was playing with a guy I don't even talk to that much that I worked with years ago and we were laughing our asses off at our failures and cheering at our success. You can definitely have situations where one person is doing all the work and the other is just kind of standing there making things move right, but it still managed to be fun from either perspective. They really took the Portal gameplay to a whole new universe with it.

My only issue is the replayability. I don't know what incentive there is to play through this again with other people outside of a handful of achievements and being nice to your freinds. Im really hoping they produce a steady stream of new puzzles or something because it would definitely be enjoyable. I also don't see how they could justify all those purchasable hats and gestures without having more than the five hours or so of multiplayer. All those TF2 hats were so popular because you can show them off to tons of people. With these you're showing them off to one other person for a while and then probably in very few other situations. Maybe they have some kind of other big plans in the future, but as of now I don't get it.

Something else to note... you use of light bridges in much cooler ways in multiplayer than in single player. And on at least one level, there's more than one viable solution... which I didn't think they did in Portal.

I didn't finish it, but I think you are right that they should add DLC. Valve probably will add DLC. Maybe just a new level at a time.

I too finished the multiplayer levels last night. Some really good stuff. We only had one level where we got really pissed off which is good cos I was expecting way more. Most of the time when we had derps we were able to laugh it off and the bot laugh animation definitely helped lighten up a couple spots. I also laughed thoroughly when we played rock/paper/scissors to decide who would run through the crushers. I was really impressed by how well they made the cooperation work particularly with the ping tool which, surprisingly, was actually a good way to communicate.

Very good puzzles. I definitely expect some more levels in the future because of these hats and stuff.

Back