Multiplayer ?

R

RageDNA

Is Half-Life 2 going to have a Multiplayer game?

The reason I ask is I just ordered 2 game one for me and one for my son. But someone told me that there is no Multiplayer to the new Half-Life2. So if this is true then there's no point in my buying two copies is there?

Cheers

And thanks for your input.

RageDNA

There is multiplay, they just haven't announced one kind. You can keep your preorders, it will have it. It might be ctf, or team deathmatch, just the type of multiplay is unknown.

It is not true. Half-Life 2 does have multiplayer.

The only thing we know about it though, is that it includes vehicles.

And don't forget, it also uses the physics engine in all the maps, so flying barrels and bodies can hurt or kill you if they hit you.

And plus, once mods come out, Multi Player will be endless
Its plenty worth it

hahaha NICE... thanks guys I will keep the two copies on order then.

Cheers

Originally posted by RageDNA
The reason I ask is I just ordered 2 game one for me and one for my son. But someone told me that there is no Multiplayer to the new Half-Life2. So if this is true then there's no point in my buying two copies is there?
That's the best argument that I've heard yet for having children. Maybe if I start now, the nipper will be ready when HL3 is released...

How old's your son, Rage?

Where is the definitive confirmation that multiplayer will ship with the game? I know they've optimised code for MP, but also they've basically said that its a platform for mods, worst case scenario is that it'll be SP only and the mods (and expansion packs?) will provided the multiplayer part. We Know TF2 isn't shipping, we know CS isn't shiping and we know DOD is in development...

I spose at bare min we need Vanilla DM

Originally posted by nighttrain
Where is the definitive confirmation that multiplayer will ship with the game? I know they've optimised code for MP, but also they've basically said that its a platform for mods, worst case scenario is that it'll be SP only and the mods (and expansion packs?) will provided the multiplayer part. We Know TF2 isn't shipping, we know CS isn't shiping and we know DOD is in development...

But do you have confirmation that TF2 isn't shipping and CS2 isn't shipping?

boyz, the first rule about HL-2 multiplayer is that one does not talk about HL-2 multiplayer. :)

But someone told me that there is no Multiplayer to the new Half-Life2.

Who told you this? Who is out there spreading FUD?

Where is the definitive confirmation that multiplayer will ship with the game? I know they've optimised code for MP, but also they've basically said that its a platform for mods, worst case scenario is that it'll be SP only and the mods (and expansion packs?) will provided the multiplayer part.

Why would they provide a platform for mods... without the vanilla game including multiplayer?

In the audio interview, Gabe says that they are going to keep back some surprises about the game, and that one of the things they are keeping close to their chest is multiplayer. It wouldn't make sense to say something like that if there WAS no multiplayer at all. The big secret is that it doesn't exist? I don't think so.

Yeah, no way they would include MP in the original but not in the sequel, that would jus be dumb on their part, an they aint dumb. so dont worry man, MP will be back and grander then ever.
Edit: plus what apos said...Yeah.

mmmm.... vanilla multiplayer

that sounds really good.

oh and jhero, that was pretty funny!

The best proof we have showing that there will be MP is that Gabe Newell said in a interview that the HL2 netcode is better than the HL1 netcode. So... :cheers:

Im Kinda getting sick of Vanialla MP, maybe Valve are too.

I'm Betting the big surprise is Chocolate Multiplayer shipping with HL2

If you are wanting to play cooperative play with your son valve said that coop play wont come with with the game. But some modders are working on making a coop mode and I think getting some help from valve too (I know I'm looking forward to it :) hmm seems my brother may actually have a use: decoy).

Originally posted by nighttrain

please doy you people EVER read things before making comments??

Gabe has already said there will be a multiplayer but no details about what it will be.

He has indeed said TF2 wont be the multiplayer or words to that effect and i presume CS2 will be just a free mod not shipped because they would not be so secretive about the Multiplayer if all it was was CS2..............

and NO DoD is NOT in development. The DoD team are currently working on the follow up to the retail release.

Kam

Originally posted by Kamakazie
they would not be so secretive about the Multiplayer if all it was was CS2..............

You are forgetting the CS is the most popular multiplayer mod of all time. Saying that a sequel for it is comming out might not be such a good idea .. yet.

Originally posted by Kamakazie
and NO DoD is NOT in development. The DoD team are currently working on the follow up to the retail release.

Kam

Okay, I took the fact that they had the SDK to mean it was in dev, maybe not, but they must be playing with it ;)

Originally posted by rootbin
hey, Gabe,

i read a quote from you today concerning the release of the HL2 SDK: 'it
will be staged; some people have it already'. i was wondering how valve
determines who gets the SDK right now. personally, i am a programmer for a
mod team and would love a chance to get an early start. if it's possible for me to get the SDK now, for the love of all that is good tell me how to get
it :D

Chris Evans

Talk to Chris Bokitch "Lord of SDK Distribution".

hey, Mr. Bokitch :D

below is an email conversation i had with Gabe Newell. i was hoping you
might be able to answer my questions.

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure which teams have it right now, but it's quite limited. I know
that the Day of Defeat team has access to it. We are working on the public
version, to be released "as soon as possible". We are still working out
what will be included in the SDK. More information will be released soon.
When it is, it will be sent to major gaming and Half-Life news sites, and it
will appear the second it's available at the Collective
(http://collective.valve-erc.com/).

Chris.

dod team isnt working on dod 2...only 1.2

they said they may or may not do dod 2.

gooseman has been working on cs2 for a while now.

there will be multiplayer in hl2 thats for sure.

since more people like team based matches rather than straight FFA DM, they might make TDM or something standard. since there wont be bunnyhopping the DMers wouldnt like the non quake style play

There are conflicting reports on this, Valve say that the Dod team have the HL2 SDK already....

sure they may have it, but they arent doing anything with it.

aargh then they are not worthy of possesion....

Re: Re: Multiplayer ?

Originally posted by djkanuk
That's the best argument that I've heard yet for having children. Maybe if I start now, the nipper will be ready when HL3 is released...

How old's your son, Rage?

My son is 6 years old and started playing HL and CS when he was 3 years old. He is better then me now and most on the servers we play. If you ever want to play us in CS then check out the best servers on the net for CS here.

http://www.warcrygamers.com/
(-Mind Games, No Place Like Home-)
Server IP: 66.208.103.25:27015

http://www.clanlos.net
-{LoS}- Warcraft XP FF ON!
Server IP: 204.157.6.208:27015

Cheers

RageDNA

Thanks RageDNA, might take you up on it one day (though I don't relish the thought of being 0wned by a 6 yr old 733t. :)

Glad you guys have fun. Families that slay together stay together!
-kanuk

Originally posted by Peks

they said they may or may not do dod 2.

gooseman has been working on cs2 for a while now.

there will be multiplayer in hl2 thats for sure.

since more people like team based matches rather than straight FFA DM, they might make TDM or something standard. since there wont be bunnyhopping the DMers wouldnt like the non quake style play

Goosman is currently working on CS2??? Where did you hear about this??? I prolly woulda noticed this news on CS sites that I regularly peruse, but I've seen nothing about this so far....

Can't wait till we see some screenshots and vids on CS2....:cheers: :cheese:

Originally posted by Anthraxxx
Goosman is currently working on CS2??? Where did you hear about this??? I prolly woulda noticed this news on CS sites that I regularly peruse, but I've seen nothing about this so far....

Can't wait till we see some screenshots and vids on CS2....:cheers: :cheese:

It's true .. I read it in one of the old interviews (from 2001 I think)

Back