Muse - The Resistance (out Sept 14th, two songs inside)

Iced_Eagle

Tank
Reaction score
theresistance.jpg

Release Date: Sept 14th

Track Listing:
Uprising
Resistance
Undisclosed Desires
United States of Eurasia (+ Collateral Damage)
Guiding Light
Unnatural Selection
MK ULTRA
I Belong To You (+ Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix)
Exogenesis: Symphony Part I (Overture)
Exogenesis: Symphony Part II (Cross Pollination)
Exogenesis: Symphony Part III (Redemption)

Uprising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtuYLQj6VOs

Official (requires registration or else you only get 30 second clip): http://muse.mu/media-player/singles/45/uprising/

United States of Eurasia (+Collateral Damage):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S83tuz8000

Official (requires registration or else you only get 30 second clip): http://muse.mu/media-player/singles/44/united-states-of-eurasia/

Sounds absolutely brilliant so far!

The beginning of Uprising sounds almost exactly like the beginning of Atlas by Battles.

Uprising was okay, not really my type of song. However Eurasia was quite interesting in classical musical sense.

Am I the only one that thinks Eurasia is a ridiculously bad song.

Just because Queen can pull off that sort of thing doesn't mean they can.

EDIT: It's now come to my attention that Muse is actually serious about this political agenda, while on Black Holes and Revelations I thought it was only a passing phase. Honestly now Bellamy, we don't need another band with some stupidly anarchical view of politics to enter the fray; especially considering your criticism and call for rebellion consists of such hard hitting numbers like "Rise up and take the power back, It's time that the fat cats had a heart attack" and "Endless red tape to keep the truth confined". There are artists that can tackle politics in their music (Bob Dylan, TV on the Radio, Rage Against the Machine when Rocha isn't spouting too much bullshit), Muse is not one of them.

Agreed. I liked Muse much, much better when they didn't write about politics. And some of the song titles for this album are absolutely awful. The United States of Eurasia? Ooooh, that's defiant and edgy. Unnatural Selection? Deep. No idea what that song could be about.

And the lyrics are BAD. Absolution was pretty good, Black Holes and Revelations was half-bad, and now it's sounding like this album will have be nothing but tenth-grade English class lyrics.

I don't want to give off the impression that I'm some sort of Muse hate train, I really enjoyed both Origin of Symmetry and Absolution, even a few off Black Holes (I shit bricks everytime I hear Map of the Problematique).

Godamn I'd love this band if Bellamy just learned to ****ing breathe properly when he sings.

The political thing is rather funny though.

Being probably my favorite band aside from Radiohead I have been worried with their direction since Blackholes. I mean the album was just ok really, the songs really only came alive when I saw them live.

Eurasia is a cool song but its so much like Queen its actually hilarious, Uprising has a quality bass line, but the synth used is just not Muse at all, would have been better on guitar, it more like a Placebo song than anything (ain't a bad thing but only Placebo can do Placebo well lol). I'm not optimistic it will be a great album, but I'm seeing them three times on their next tour, and I'm they will still be just as awesome live, which is really where their main strengths have always lied.

Has for their vocal direction, they have been singing about crazy politics since Absolution, Apocalypse Please, Time is Running Out, Sing For Absolution and Futurism spring to mind, and Matt Bellamy has been obsessed with conspiracy theories ever since they started, I mean the odd song dedicated the subject is good, Map of the Problamatique is probably some of the best lyrics he has written, but I think he has gone overboard with this next album.

I feel they have lost that edge they had back in the early Showbiz and Origin days, Absolution was their prime really, especially in terms of live performances, where they were a largely alternative band far out of reach from the largely mainstream music crowd which they seemed to delve into with the last album. Its a shame, but really for bands as big as them that go on as long as them, it does eventually happen to a lot of them. Still I will continue to listen to their music and see them live regardless, being that they have been the biggest influence for me and music.

Updated the OP with the album art and also new video for Uprising (though it's bound to go dead again, so just use the official Muse link)

Matt has always been about conspiracy theories and such, and it just seems that this album is going to sort of be a collection of a lot of his thoughts on things.

They intended for USoE to sort of have that goofy Queen feel to it, and they didn't really want anyone to take it seriously. Personally, I think it just sort of adds an interesting part to that song and I don't understand why people are hating on it.

From everything I've read on the Muse forums and such, this album is probably going to be their most splitting yet. A lot of their old fans who were huge into OoS and such don't seem to like this at all. Whereas the "newer" fans (which I guess is me, cause I've been a fan for about 3 or 4 years now and loved BHAR) seem to like it a lot more.

To me, it sounds like Muse is going in a different direction, with a lot different sound, and I really love where it's going. Matt is making some excellent and thoughtful lyrics I think, and is trying to tell a message. You don't have to agree with it, but I think he does a good job of trying to sort of tell his feelings.

I'm sure there will still be songs on here for those that like the older music more (Exogenisis symphony anyone?), but otherwise there's tons of great stuff on there for those that are enjoying their new stuff even more. :cheese:

Both United States and Uprising failed to impress me on first listening, but subsequent listenings have revealed their brilliance. I don't think Muse are likely to tumble on a 5th album.

They certainly won't tumble on it, I mean I don't think a band with that talent is capable of making a 'bad' album, but its hard for people to not compare new albums to previous master pieces. I do get the feeling that it will be one of those albums that one the first listen it will be an average affair, and with more listens it will just get better and better. That was basically my opinion on In Rainbows with Radiohead, after many listens and seeing an truely epic live gig, I now think its a cracking album.

Time will tell.

Edit: Liking the album cover, very Pink Floyd.

Wow, that album art is great.

I'll give the songs some more listens over the next few days, and see if it changes my opinion.

I have tickets to see them in sheffield and I'm worried I'm going to be stood there cringing. WTB first three album only gigs :p

I have tickets to see them in sheffield and I'm worried I'm going to be stood there cringing. WTB first three album only gigs :p

Im going Sheffield too lol, closest to Manchester since they never included Manchester in their tour which is crazy. Also attending their two dates in London, for a chance to finally see London, and also they should play a few songs that never normally do.

To be honest, I'm struggling to listen to anything else but Humbug by Arctic Monkeys at the moment. :D

Im going Sheffield too lol, closest to Manchester since they never included Manchester in their tour which is crazy. Also attending their two dates in London, for a chance to finally see London, and also they should play a few songs that never normally do.

Try living in Newcastle, large bands seem to avoid us like the plague. Had to travel over to manchester last month to see NIN. And to add insult to injury, Idlewild are play middlesborough over us, that's just sad :<

I'm beginning to think uprising is a mix of muse, doctor who and marilyn manson..

I'm beginning to think uprising is a mix of muse, doctor who and marilyn manson..

I thought Doctor Who as well when I first heard Uprising. But also on another note, it's not surprising that some parts in Eurasia sounds like Queen. A lot of bands now and day basically incorporate that "Queen" sound simply because Queen rocks. Just my opinion.

Muse don't really need to though, the sound they created themselves was perfect, I don't why they feel the need to deviate from it.

Well, their sound is evolving like any other band (perhaps even more drastically I suppose). If they stayed with the same style and sound, they won't grow their fanbase, and their music just will start to feel stale. I really like their new direction personally. You can tell that it's Muse, but it's different enough that it really makes their new sounds stand out from their old ones.

Can't edit the OP, but here's 30-sec clips of each song on the album!

The album sounds so different, but I'm digging it so far. I love the description Matt gave of the album where it's about love during political revolution. Personally, I find that the music reaches a whole new level when you get what the artist was trying to do, and sort of the underlying themes of everything. It gives me goosebumps at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDlzj1qQDsQ

EDIT: It's now come to my attention that Muse is actually serious about this political agenda, while on Black Holes and Revelations I thought it was only a passing phase. Honestly now Bellamy, we don't need another band with some stupidly anarchical view of politics to enter the fray; especially considering your criticism and call for rebellion consists of such hard hitting numbers like "Rise up and take the power back, It's time that the fat cats had a heart attack" and "Endless red tape to keep the truth confined".
This, hahaha. It's not like it's impossible to do politics well (Manic Street Preachers and Radiohead come to mind, or the final verse of this).

I enjoyed the tune of Uprising, but it went on far too long and the lyrics were boring. Perhaps it's supposed to be an amusing parody. Somewhat doubt it though, as 'The Resistance' is a terribly overblown self-important name for an album.

Eurasia, on the other hand, totally pulled it off because it was overblown and ridiculous. I laughed out loud when the big Queen guitar scream came in. I'm listening to it now and have a huge grin on my face. As a pertinent youtube comment (there's such a thing?) said: "so much like queen it's okay".

I doubt this is an album I will buy, but it seems like one I might enjoy. HURF DURF WILL YOU DO WHAT THEY TOLD YA

EDIT: Irritating how you have to use tinyurl to link youtube videos without splashing them in preview all over your post.
EDIT2: Oh yeah, tinurl is censored. Hang it.

Some of the tracks on the album sound really good, but I agree that Matt is going a bit overboard with the lyrics now, I mean he is no stranger when it comes to singing about conspiracies and the like but I preferred it when he sang with more of a metaphorical tone. And yeh the Queen additions are daft, Muse have done harmonies just as good as Queens in the past in their own style, using the likes of layered choir and vocoders.

It will will still be a good album no doubt.

I'm really not sure I like this album. Hopefully it's a grower...

There's no real stand-out track like Knights of Cydonia or Plug-In Baby etc. and some of the songs sound like they are Justin Timberlake cast-offs. And the classical bits sound like Philip Glass, which isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't suit Muse that well.

I dunno. 5/10 so far.

Yeah the album got leaked, all my muse fanatical mates are all like 'ZOMG IT GONZ BAK TO ORIGINZZ' or the album is like Origin of Symmetry, I heard 30 second samples of all songs and knew it was nothing like Orgin, crazy fanboys.

Ill probably download the leak and give it a listen today, even though I've preordered the album. I already know it won't be their best work.

I heard 30 second samples of all songs and knew it was nothing like Orgin, crazy fanboys..

The songs change enough throughout that 30 second clips won't really give you the full picture. You are, however, correct in that it's nothing like OoS

So far:

Good:
Symphony
MK Ultra

Meh:
Unatural Selection
Uprising
I Belong to You
Resistance

Dire:
United States
Undisclosed Desires
Guiding Light

It's all too well produced, there are no dirty base lines or energetic riffs, I'm disappointed really :<

Ok ive given it a full listen and I would say 6/10.

The first three tracks were excellent, everyone slated Undisclosed Desires but me and a mate of mine love it, the sampled violins and brilliant synth lines of the chorus, and Chris's slapped bass to compliment, very catchy song. The intro to Resistance is awe inspiring. Uprising would have been perfect had they thrown in the recorded extended riff at the end, basically in the run up to the album launch they released a video of the making of it and it shows them all playing along to the riff/solo section of the song that only features matt playing it in the final track, they didn't add it to the final track though :(

After the third track it all seems to go downhill, none of the songs really caught my attention which I didn't think was possibly with Muse. I think a lot of it is due to the god awful distortion he used in most of the songs, it is far too weak for my liking, its like an overdrive which is ludicrous considering he uses Diezel amps, the same amps as Metallica. Bring back the Origin --> Absolution fuzz tone found here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8cS1UiKzjg

However, the Exogenesis Symphony at the end saved the album, beautiful composition.

Overall, it was a disappointment really, but I expected that after hearing the 30 second samples. However, I was rather deflated after hearing Blackholes despite a few of its amazing tracks, after I heard the songs live my opinions on them changed.

However, the Exogenesis Symphony at the end saved the album, beautiful composition.

Three 4-minute long songs does not an adequate symphony make in my eyes. It shouldn't have had singing over it either.

I've listened the album, there are some(only 3, actually) excellent songs in it :D

I don't know how many of you are going to agree, but Undisclosed Desires is my favourite track on the album. Some may say it's a little too dancey but I'm getting into more dance music so to me the dance beat adds even more win to the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQw260_FXaM

There's a few catchy songs on the album, but doesn't really strike me as well as their other albums did. I miss the "dark" feeling that they lost after Absolution.

A little disappointed...it doesn't feel a strong as previous albums. I really like Uprising & Resistance. I also like Unnatural Selection, but it's main guts is ripped right from New Born back on OoS! The piano at the end of United States of Eurasia is beautiful, unfortunately the rest of the song is hideous.

The exogenesis symphony is a delightful conclusion to the album, but it needed more big tracks. Album feels a bit rough around the edges. I'm a huge Muse fan so I'm happy to have a handful of new tracks still! It's just a little fall from grace...

I don't like it at all.
Their last album was superior but still not as great as they used to be.

A little disappointed...it doesn't feel a strong as previous albums. I really like Uprising & Resistance. I also like Unnatural Selection, but it's main guts is ripped right from New Born back on OoS! The piano at the end of United States of Eurasia is beautiful, unfortunately the rest of the song is hideous.

The exogenesis symphony is a delightful conclusion to the album, but it needed more big tracks. Album feels a bit rough around the edges. I'm a huge Muse fan so I'm happy to have a handful of new tracks still! It's just a little fall from grace...

Pretty much agreed, though as a nitpick I thought the symphony should have been a full 15-minute song instead of being able to tell when the parts are broken up. I don't like how alot of the songs on the album were also described and compared with other songs and bands. They should stick with own older sound rather than trying to sound like others.

I'm torn about it. On the one hand, I think the instrumentation is great. I really like the heavier classical influence they went for. A clarinet in a rock song? Awesome. On the other hand, the lyrics are often so ham-fisted it's cringe worthy. I can see United States of Eurasia being intentionally over the top, but not the other songs. I like the first few and the last few songs, but I already find myself skipping over the middle songs. Who knows, maybe they will grow on me.

Back