My HL2 upgrade

B

Bane

Processor - P4 @ 3.0ghz w/ 800mhz FSB (maybe oc'ed)

Mobo - ASUS P4P800 Deluxe

RAM - 1Gb Corsair XMS @ PC3200 (400hmz)

Video Card - GeForce FX 5900 Ultra or Radeon 9800 pro

Monitor - NEC 22" w/ max res or 1920x1440 and recommended 1600x1200 @ 85hz

Cooling -
Vapochill stand-alone unit that will be modded into my case for the CPU; hopefully. (for those who don't know, this unit can cool a cpu down to -14 fahrenheit / -25.557 celsius and allows extreme oc'ing)
Waterchill unit to cool the video card.

I think this setup should be able to run HL2 at maxed out settings with no hitches. Lemme know if you guys have any thoughts.

Yes, save yourself about $200, and just use fans. Your cards don't need to be -14 degrees. If anything, too cold can damage your cards, not to mention, I wouldn't exactly trust water + electricty/high voltage. Other than that, go with the 9800 pro, it's definately better for HL2. Ram, good. Mobo and processor, I have the same. Go for it!

Yeah, I would suggest saving in on both the water cooling and the by buying the 9800 Pro, its quite alot of money there :)

Dont get the ram though. I though the faster Rambus was mostly used with never pentium cpu's... But they are expensive. Maybe that's better to spend the saved money on? I dont know, I havent read up on them on a while.

To your dismay? I'd kill myself if that happened to me! :)

This reminds me of a movie, "but this one can go to 11". Save your money you dont need any cooling overkill to play hl2.

What are you guys saying about that RAM?

But yes dont go out and buy somthing that really isnt needed, a couple of fans will get get the job done and be a lot cheaper.

Unless you are going to OC your processor to 4Ghz and up that cooling isn't really worth it. Phase change cooling is for the most hardcore OCers, and if you are not sure about OC'ing your CPU than I wouldn't waste the money on it.

you dont even need to over clock it would be overKILL. no game now or in 1 year would need that power.

Back