My One (Small) Complaint...

Reaction score
...which I hope is rectified in Episode 3 -

I want more weapons!

Waaahh!

Good Ol' Gordon Freeman had more toys to play with back in Black Mesa. Give us Tau guns! Sniper rifles! Chainguns! Flamethrowers! Tripmines! Satchel explosives! And most importantly... Snarks!

And let us do some two-handed gun weilding, like old-school Goldeneye. Left-mouse button fires the automatic pistol in the left hand, right mouse button fires the Magnum in the right...

dual welding would ruin the game and halo fanboys would have something to say about it im sure. also do you not understand that objects in the environment are a weapon(gravity gun)?

Oh really? Ya think? You know, somehow I made it though HL2 and both episodes without knowing that. Thanks for the heads up.

And yes, I'm being sarcastic.

But even launching exploding barrels at people gets repetitive after awhile.

Plus adding more weapons will make no sense. Its the same general area. Why would there be a magic new weapon? It needs to make more sense.

Wow that's even more lame than my "things I didn't like about HL2" thread. All in all I think we've enough weapons. I mean ffs the guy carries around an arsenal.

The basics are there - shotgun, pistol, smg, rifle, rpg - why add more? Simply for the sake? Valve have already expanded the arsenal greatly; new Gravity gun debris such as flares and other items; the Strider Buster works as a new weapon and even Alyx herself.

I think it'd be fairly mundane to add more actual weapons, really.

Actually if you really want a new weapon in ep2, type this in the developer console.

bind mouse1 "hunter_shoot_flechette"

Plus adding more weapons will make no sense. Its the same general area. Why would there be a magic new weapon? It needs to make more sense.

The wonderful writers of the storyline could conjour up a reason, no doubt. There were more weapons in HL1, and that was an even smaller area.

Just because the play has more weapons doesn't mean those weapons will be used to great effect. The Tau Cannon and Gluon Gun were best reserved for boss fights, but HL2 shows the player does just fine with the RPG for similar situations. Sniper rifles are unnecessary if one can handle the crossbow correctly. Chainguns and flamethrowers are not logical at all (nobody can carry a chaingun and fire it without getting seriously injured, and flamethrowers have been deemed impractical for warfare since WWII). Setting tripmines and satchels is almost useless for SP (especially for a first playthrough of a game) or can be otherwise recreated using the enviroment (thank you Gravity Gun). Finally, snarks are inferior in every aspect to player-controled antlions and rollermines (which don't have the capabillity to kill you if used by the player).

Overall, finding more creative uses of how to manupliate the enviroment is what sets HL2 apart from other current FPSs, and that only a drastic change in setting should justify the inclusion of entirely new weapons. For now though, all the HL2 weapons serve a specific purpose and thus will be assured use by the player.

Actually if you really want a new weapon in ep2, type this in the developer console.

bind mouse1 "hunter_shoot_flechette"

Holy crap, that's fun! Thanks. I bound it to four keys next to each other. Rapid-fire when you hit all four quickly!

See, that's the sort of new weapon they could add. Remember in Opposing Force when the barnacle becomes a weapon, or the original Half-Life when you take the alien's arm and use the hornet gun? Same idea...

How do you reflect the hunter's flachettes back anyway? To get the achievment..

If they're moving towards more open environments then i dont see why they shouldn't add the combine sniper rifle to our arsenal. Its about time we got a hold of that thing tbh since it first cropped up in HL2 way back in 2004 and has appeared in both episodes since

Grab something like a log and let it absorb them. Then throw it back. Hunters become something of a joke after this, though.

Just because the play has more weapons doesn't mean those weapons will be used to great effect. The Tau Cannon and Gluon Gun were best reserved for boss fights, but HL2 shows the player does just fine with the RPG for similar situations. Sniper rifles are unnecessary if one can handle the crossbow correctly. Chainguns and flamethrowers are not logical at all (nobody can carry a chaingun and fire it without getting seriously injured, and flamethrowers have been deemed impractical for warfare since WWII). Setting tripmines and satchels is almost useless for SP (especially for a first playthrough of a game) or can be otherwise recreated using the enviroment (thank you Gravity Gun). Finally, snarks are inferior in every aspect to player-controled antlions and rollermines (which don't have the capabillity to kill you if used by the player).

Overall, finding more creative uses of how to manupliate the enviroment is what sets HL2 apart from other current FPSs, and that only a drastic change in setting should justify the inclusion of entirely new weapons. For now though, all the HL2 weapons serve a specific purpose and thus will be assured use by the player.

First of all, realism shouldn't be addressed here - if this were reality, Gordon wouldn't be able to carry his rocket launcher through all those tiny ventilation ducts he always seems to find himself inside.

I'm aware of Half-Life's strengths in regards to manipulation of the environment. However, it and the use of weapons aren't antithetical.

I'm just getting bored of the same combat with the same weapons, when I'm buying what basically amounts to an expansion pack. They could've actually sacrificed existing weapons and replaced them with different ones for this episode, just to change things up.

I spent a few hours playing Deus Ex earlier, which is what made me think of it. There's a veritable crapload of weapons in that game, but you can only carry so many on you at a time - so you have to choose carefully what you keep and what you drop. Tranquilizers, stealth weapons, throwing knives, etc. It adds an interesting dynamic to the game.

And you can't say snarks weren't fun as hell during multiplayer.

use the grav gun to hold something large as a shield so that incoming flechettes hit the object you're holding instead and throw the object at the hunter just as theyre about to explode.

I'm just getting bored of the same combat with the same weapons, when I'm buying what basically amounts to an expansion pack. They could've actually sacrificed existing weapons and replaced them with different ones for this episode, just to change things up.

I spent a few hours playing Deus Ex earlier, which is what made me think of it. There's a veritable crapload of weapons in that game, but you can only carry so many on you at a time - so you have to choose carefully what you keep and what you drop. Tranquilizers, stealth weapons, throwing knives, etc. It adds an interesting dynamic to the game.

And you can't say snarks weren't fun as hell during multiplayer.

its nothing like an expansion pack......gah i dont want to go through that discussion again.
also the deus ex thing with choosing your weapons carefully has been done so many times in games and it really doesnt change much.

Me want AK.

No, no, it doesn't have to be a copy of the pulse rifle, just a bit more damage then it, but even less accurate then the SMG, to balance things out. And a different clip size.

Otherwise, well that last weapon slot is still empty. They have to put something in there!

First of all, realism shouldn't be addressed here - if this were reality, Gordon wouldn't be able to carry his rocket launcher through all those tiny ventilation ducts he always seems to find himself inside.
HL obviously fails to achieve total reality, but that doesn't stop VALVe from making things as realistic-looking as possible. In this day and age within the HL saga, it would look silly and out of place to have a random Combine soldier carrying around a chaingun by himself. So realism can't just be entirely thrown aside.

I fail to see how fighting in pitch-darkness using a flashlight mechanic developed for EP1 can be considered to be the same combat. As for replacing every existing weapon, that would have been an utter slap in continuity's face. As play HL for the continuity as well as the gameplay, I wouldn't have appreciated such a move.

Of course unlike Drex Ex, HL provides linear progression which forces the player to engage in combat. Unless VALVe chooses to sacrifice linearity to provide stealth-based combat (which I doubt will go over well with people that enjoy HL-style combat), there's no reason to include various stealthy weapons.

Oh really? Ya think? You know, somehow I made it though HL2 and both episodes without knowing that. Thanks for the heads up.

And yes, I'm being sarcastic.

But even launching exploding barrels at people gets repetitive after awhile.

This is irony really...You say that throwing barrels at people gets repetitive after awhile, yet you want more guns to shoot at them...Ain't that repetitive enough? kill, kill,kill?

nothing new...:sleep:

I'm not advocating all of the weapons listed in the OP. I do miss the laser trip mines from HL1 though and think they'd be more than at home in the HL2 world. A sniper rifle - meh, chain gun - no, gauss gun/rail gun - nah.

I like the weapons all in all in the HL2 world, but at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing a few removed and replaced with others here in there in the future, keeping the selection mostly static. If you're stripped of weapons and are scavenging for more it would make sense that different places might have a slightly different selection.

It would be nice to get the barnacle back (well, for the first time, since Shepherd got it in OF), but I'm fairly certain that we'll see at least one 'new' weapon in Episode 3...

This is irony really...You say that throwing barrels at people gets repetitive after awhile, yet you want more guns to shoot at them...Ain't that repetitive enough? kill, kill,kill?

nothing new...:sleep:

Yes, kill, but in new, interesting ways.

I mentioned Deus Ex because it's a good example of how one's choice of weapons makes for varied and interesting gameplay. You can go the stealth route, sneaking around undetected and killing silently, or go in with loud guns blazing and wake up the entire neighborhood, which brings everyone running - both valid strategies.

What would be REALLY cool is if the gravity gun could pick up headcrabs (without killing them like the blue GG does). Pick up a headcrab and toss it into a room before entering to get the enemy distracted, then rush in and finish them off. That's pretty much how snarks were used - not to do the killing for you, so much as to serve as a diversion.

Tripmines and satchels definitely have a place in HL2. Don't pretend you never lured one of those black ops into a tripmine trap before...

I have a feeling that the portal gun might make an appearance in Ep3, what with the introduction of Aperature Labs and Borealis. In fact it will probably be used IN the Borealis - a nice, closed environment designed around its use.

I mentioned Deus Ex because it's a good example of how one's choice of weapons makes for varied and interesting gameplay.

That's more combat. Half-life is based around the very idea of varied and interesting gameplay; it simply doesn't hinge on the idea of combat combat combat. That said, EP2 has been the most satisfying in terms of combat so far. It's the first time I've wanted to go back to a certain battle with the soldiers and replay it.

The Gravity Gun is thirty five weapons in one. We get a Tool: Pick Up, a Tool: Throw, a Weapon: Ignite and a Weapon: Reflect hunter flechettes. And many more.

It would be nice to get the barnacle back (well, for the first time, since Shepherd got it in OF)

I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that...

Seriously though, Barnacle gun will be replaced with Portal gun. Same basic concept. I would like to see the Snark back, the hand animation in HL was awesome.

(try and bite my finger... you can't can you! I rule you Snark!)

What would be REALLY cool is if the gravity gun could pick up headcrabs (without killing them like the blue GG does). Pick up a headcrab and toss it into a room before entering to get the enemy distracted, then rush in and finish them off. That's pretty much how snarks were used - not to do the killing for you, so much as to serve as a diversion.

That wouldn't make any sense though, since the G-Gun cant pick up organic material, it can only do that in its super G-Gun form, like the one you use at the end of HL2 and start of EP1, but even then it wont work, since its sends thousands of volts through that material lol.

There is nothing wrong with the weapons we have, as I said in another thread, its in tune with the plot. The weapons we have are the weapons that the resistance have made or stolen off the Overwatch. The Overwatch work through self-stability i.e. they will make less weapons but with more purposes in combat, which is why the have the basic pistle, smg for close quarters and the pulse rifle for more heavy duty work as well as grenades for flushing out tactics.

And the episodes are NOT expansion packs in any way shape or form, these episodes are mere progression of story and progression of the game engine, to test new features etc. Bringing in all these fancy new weapons all of a sudden wouldn't make any sense no matter how hard they try and cover it. Not to mention I would choose the Gravity Gun and objects laying around on the floor over a basic gun ANY day.

When i saw that combine sniper rifle before you get the car, i thought you was going to
shoot with it, but not bring it with you but no, It's "broken" Alyx says, and when you jump down, she takes it herself :(

The only weapon I'd like to see replaced is the crossbow, possibly with a sniper rifle of some kind. Yes, I know it's a throwback to HL1, and that it's an example of a "home-made" rebel weapon, but I prefer my long-range weapons to actually stand a chance in hell of hitting something that moves more than inch after I shoot.

And the episodes are NOT expansion packs in any way shape or form, these episodes are mere progression of story and progression of the game engine, to test new features etc. Bringing in all these fancy new weapons all of a sudden wouldn't make any sense no matter how hard they try and cover it. Not to mention I would choose the Gravity Gun and objects laying around on the floor over a basic gun ANY day.

First lets take the fan boy glasses off, it's an expansion. Expansion use the same engine as the original(some times the engine is updated for new game play or graphics), they tend to be much shorter then the original content and are often much cheaper. EP1 and EP2 are expansion they run on the same engine with a few updates here and there, are much shorter (too short if you ask me) and are cheaper. Just because Valve calls them Episodes does not change that fact they are expansions to the original HL2. A Rose is a Rose even if you call them Stink Blossoms.

I ran though the early parts of the game with {bind mouse5 "hunter_shoot_flechette"} And thats is an awesome weapon and could have been handed to the player if valve wanted to and no one would have complain about it. Out of the line up we have now the Gravity Gun is the best weapon in the list. The rest are just the same old shit we've seen in every other FPS (I wasn't too happy with the weapon list in HL2 either). Honestly you can complete this game with just the gravity gun and a shotgun(for the final battle). But thats getting boring, I play with just the GG in ravenholm already.

All I'm saying is the game could have used a new weapon to change thing up a bit (well it did have a new weapon but it's for the combine only), Currently the only really cool and new thing in HL2EP2 was the chopper battle.

Cough ::bugbait:: cough cough.

I'm kind of sad we have never used it again. Here I am just after killing two Antlion Guardians with my new Vort buddy but does he make me some bugbait? No, pfft.

PS: I was not a fan of the final battle, I hate time trials. I waited for two years for valve to do another good stride battle but they throw in a monkey wrench so I can't milk it and enjoy it. I just wanted to kill then with rockets in a chaotic battle, not the cheap one hit kills in a hit and run manner.

I'm kind of sad we have never used it again. Here I am just after killing two Antlion Guardians with my new Vort buddy but does he make me some bugbait? No, pfft.
Bugbait is useless if there are no Antlions around, and no further Antlions appear in EP2 after the Guardian battle. Therefore it's reasonable to assume that no time was wasted extracting bugbait.

Bugbait is useless if there are no Antlions around, and no further Antlions appear in EP2 after the Guardian battle. Therefore it's reasonable to assume that no time was wasted extracting bugbait.

No shit really? Why I must have not play the same game as you...

How does that invalidate my complaint that Valve didn't bother to use it again? Valve could have added another hour of game play with Freemen attacking the marching combine with antlions to get to the car if they wanted to.

A lot of the gameplay is new, too. Aside from a few re-used scenarios, a lot of it - quite like Episode 1 - is unique chapter after chapter.

You mean Like the hunters and the err umm, what else?

I just thought I'd pick up on that point, because it seemed silly. I'm not disagreeing with your point. I'd like to see bugbait again. I mean, not Episode 2, but I'd like to see it again.

I understand, Right now I'm being a bit hard on the game. It's fun and is a welcome addition to the Half Life line up and EP 3 well be too I'm sure.

Back