My Very Cheap New Motherboard Story

MRG

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Quite some time ago, the system I built for myself but let my wife use, suddenly died. It was based around an Intel E6400 I bought when they first came out. Since then, I had been using an old Opteron system my brother in law let me borrow. Now as I was on a severely limited budget, I was really not expecting that much of a selection to choose from & waiting to save up more money to spend on a better unit was not really an option. So it was while browsing online looking for a used motherboard, that I came across a seller on Ebay listing a new ECS G31T-M Motherboard for $35. Not expecting much, I did a little research on that particular piece of hardware & was rather surprised with what the reviews said about it. All were for the most part positive.

So needless to say, I quickly returned to Ebay & placed my order. 3 days later it arrived on my doorstep in a sealed, retail box. I have since removed the E6400 from my old system & have installed it in my new mobo. A double plus, was that it was a Micro-ATX board, which was exactly what I wanted, as I had a custom case I wanted to use, that only a micro-ATX would fit in.

I am extremely pleased with the performance that this small motherboard has provided. For anyone on a limited budget such as myself, I fully recommend it. The overclocking options are very limited as is mentioned below, as no vcore options are available, but I got to a stable 2.49GHz before my DDR2-667 RAM said to stop.

techPowerUpReview:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ECS/G31T-M/1.html

Basic Info:

Pro's
* Great price
* Good performance
* 1333 FSB, Fully Supporting Intels Quad Core & Dual Core Processors
* 4GB Max Dual Channel DDR2 800
* Micro-ATX
* On-board VGA
* Quiet, passive cooling for Northbridge & Southbridge
* Fan speed control in BIOS
* 5.1 Onboard HD audio
* Serial ATA 3GB/s

Con's
* Limited overclocking options in BIOS
* No Gigabit Ethernet
* Only two onboard fan connectors
* Onboard VGA can not output DVI/HDMI/HDCP
* Only two memory slots
* 5.1 Audio but no 5.1 output jacks (3 jacks instead of 6)
* Only 1 PCI-Express x16 Graphics slot

-MRG

Back