Need Help! People who know A LOT about HD TV's Read plz!!!

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Ok. Im planning on buying a HD TV that supports 100% 1080P meaning i can play Bly Ray 1080P without any problems.

The TV i was going to buy before everyone started saying different things about it was this:

Model: KDSR60XBR1
SKU: 7438873
Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7438873&type=product&id=1122655672986

Now this is where the confusion starts.

That TV is advertised as "1080p display provides the highest quality progressive-scan picture possible from a high-definition source" Thing is few people that say they know about TV's are saying that this TV WILL NOT PLAY 1080P on a Blu Ray

The thing that started this whole thing about it not being able to play Blu Ray is that at Best Buy where i work they tried hooking up the new Samsung Blu Ray player and the option for 1080P wasn't available, instead the 1080i option was only available. While on the Samsung DLP 61in (SKU: 7705897) It had the 1080P option.

Now a few knowledgeable people are saying that this TV is 1080P just not TRUE 1080P meaning it will play 1080P up convert, meaning that lets say cable HD start showing 1080P movies or HD DVD 1080P dvds come out. Then it will play but it WILL NOT play on BLU RAY at 1080P, instead on BLU RAYs it will only play on 1080i.

Now this sucks if this is true because my friend already got this TV (for playing 1080P BLU RAY movies, on his PS3) and i was buying it in a few weeks. If this is true i have to wait for the NEW SONY Model Which supposedly plays TRUE 1080P. Info below:

Model: KDS-R60XBR2
SKU: Unknown
Link: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...via&ProductSKU=KDSR60XBR2&TabName=specs&var2=

Now i have to wait till Fall or September when Best Buy will get the new TV's.

Again Some links for info:

Model: KDS-R60XBR1
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...me=&ProductSKU=KDSR60XBR1&TabName=specs&var2=

Model: KDS-R60XBR2
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...via&ProductSKU=KDSR60XBR2&TabName=specs&var2=

So now how much better is the new model, does the new model have support for full 1080P meaning it will play ANYTHING in True 1080P, meaning Blu Ray, HD DVD, TV in True 1080P?

Does the old model really not have support for True 1080P or is there something im missing here?

Is it worth waiting for the new model? Really?

Thx for all the help.

I don't know the answer to you question - we wont really know untill it's released.

I don't know a great deal about HD TV, and still don't understand the rush for 1080p. Would you be using this screen purely for use with the PS3? SD and standard dvds will take alot of upscaling and probably look quite average. I've also yet to see and HD set that handles motion well (over the last few months i've been working my way through some of 'the best' lcd, plasma and rear pro sets around, and have sent them all back).

If you're spending that kind of money would you plan on buying a decent scaler? The ones i've seen are going for £1-2000!

You may want to pass/wait on Blu-Ray anyway, as early impressions indicate it's not up to scratch. HD-DVD has the quality advantage right now.

Ok theres new info i now know. Btw i work at Best Buy and i watch and compare dozens of tvs and let me tell you this tv looks INSANE. Picture everything. We are playing HD DVD on it now. I need a 1080P tv because its the future, PS3(BLU RAY) and HD DVD both support 1080P.

Now the new info i found out. The tv i was going to get the XBR1 doesn't have 1080P support but what it does it. Your running the 1080i option just the picture will upscale(up convert) to 1080P quality. So teckniclly your watching 1080P. Now i dunno id just rather wait for the new tv which has been confirmed to have FULL 1080P support. (The XBR2) Im going to wait for that model to come out.

btw the XBR1 doesnt have ANY motion problems.

Axyon said:
You may want to pass/wait on Blu-Ray anyway, as early impressions indicate it's not up to scratch. HD-DVD has the quality advantage right now.

yea.....theres little indication of what format will be the "Next-gen" media..........I say wait

Im getting both HD DVD and BLU RAY i just need a TV that supports the best and 1080P is the best.

Back