New Build - feedback?

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
I've not build my own computer from scratch before but I decided it's time to learn, and make it a nice little project. I've done the hours of reading, and here is what I've come up with after MUCH alteration. Feedback appreciated:

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient 95W Edition" 2.40GHz

Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680 (Socket 775)

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3

Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU

Samsung SpinPoint T 320GB SATA-II

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler

Samsung SH-S203NBEBN 20x20 DVD?RW Dual Layer Serial ATA Lightscribe ReWriter

Extras:

NZXT Hush Classic Series Silent Computer Chassis - Black

22" Viewsonic VX2255WMB ,Black , Widescreen

Spending quite a bit on this build, as I want something that will last and play everything I throw at it well. Am I good to go?

Well, my only real thought is this: The Quad Core will come very much in handy for you with the future games; especially Crysis. Other than that, it looks like a very solid setup. How much did you spend then?

Ok... one other thought: I haven't heard much about that motherboard? But if it's Asus, it'll be alright.

i have the exact same graphics card, its amazing! Plus you get stickers and a free shirt with it lol. I would suggest changing the fan speed to 95% during gaming tho, just to keep it a lil bit cooler.

I'm wondering why you picked the Striker extreme.

Pretty lights on the back? Well I'm looking to go with SLI in the future, it also has a good amount of space around the socket (heatpipes are well out the way) for the huge Arctic Cooler 7 to fit in. It was also highly recommended by a friend of mine, and I thought why not. I'm all up for considering alternatives if you guys have any pointers. I'm curious to why you picked it out specifically?

Following up with a conversation I had with The Brick, with recommendations on alternative HSF for a Q6600 OCed to 3ghz. Any recommendations guys? What do you use?

Personally, I love ZALMAN Products. I have used them in over thirty builds and none of them came with defects. Satisfactions did exceed 100%.
Make sure that, the HSF you pick is fully compatible with socket (LGA 775) and read the costumer reviews. The cheapest lessons is learning from others misery.

Good Luck.

PS. most other system components will hang around with you for minimum of ten years. And kick the precious butt of any game that comes along.
SLI is not now necessary in your case.

The Striker Extreme really makes my Afro grow. :afro: Hell of a nice board.

Good Luck.

Well, based on this article, and depending on how many hard drives you have, it looks like you might just squeeze by with that PSU. Don't know how well it would go if you plan to overclock those however. Just make sure you have two 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCI-E converters, since that PSU only has two 6-pin and SLI 8800GTX requires 4.

As for a HSF, the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is my top pick. Check out this comparison, even beating out the mighty Tuniq Tower:

14137.png

Back