new system build, please advise

Illegal Amigo

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to build a new computer this summer and wanted to see what you guys thought of my build so far. I'm a moderately experienced builder (~ four years) but have recently stopped following up on the latest technologies. Here's what I want to do with it, and I think it will work:

Dual-boot Windows XP (and eventually Vista) and Ubuntu 7.04
Use Compiz Fusion and Beryl (the graphical goodness!) in Ubuntu
Game decently in DX10
Have the possibility to upgrade gfx to SLI (hence the mobo).

The specs didn't load properly so here we go:
EDIT:
-MSI P965 Platinum LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
-Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2K2/2G - Retail
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
-Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD?R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model AD-7170S-0B - OEM

Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.

I don't see anything I would change with that setup. Maybe get a different brand board other than MSI (can be flaky) but that would be very minor thing and up to your preference. Would be a little more future proof with a 8800 640MB but only with newer games and high settings.

And the way GPUs have been increasing with each generation the new card always performs better and probably with less power than the older one in SLI/Crossfire. Dual cards are generally regarded as just a way to get more performance from the current generation than is possible until next season (2x top end $500 cards).

Go for the higher memory gfx cards, safest way to future proof at the moment, also I've had issues with an MSI board in the past - but as Asus said some people love them so it's really preference.

Think carefully before upgrading now

Hi mate, I would not consider the 965 platform for a new spec PC. You should look at at least 975X or P35, but if you really want to get the best available, choose the NForce 680i chipset.

You'll get support for DDR3 (1333Mhz) which is getting closer by the minute, SLI, and the option to have a 3rd PCI-X graphics card to do your physics processing (not too far down the line in terms of development either).

MSI boards are great, I've got a 975X Platinum Power Up! Edition and it's a super little board with huge overclocking capability, however, it is limited as such in that it will not support DDR3 (to my knowledge). That said though, it ticks all the other boxes for now, but I'll be looking to upgrade come 2008.

I have a QX6700 CPU (Quad Core) and 2 x 1GB overclockable DDR2 memory. I'm using the onboard Realtek HD Audio (superb, and full DX10 support) with an 8800GTS 640MB. I've recently seen the QX6600 advertised at ?170, a superb bargain for a quad core CPU.

In terms of your graphics card, the 8800 GTS does a pucker job, and you could SLi them in the future for not a great deal more cash, especially with the 9xxx series of GeForce due out later on in the year. I wouldn't worry too much about the memory, 320MB should be more than enough for a playable DX10 experience.

I just recently downloaded the Call Of Juarez DX10 tech demo, and even with my specs, there was some slowdown to under 10FPS at some point, but bear in mind, that demo whacks everything on to full on bells & whistles mode, most of which you won't see in Crysis when it surfaces later on this year, and indeed HL2: E2.

Hope this helps :)

Back