New guy here.

JDM Accord

Reaction score
I've been lurking this website for awhile and finally decided to join. I like Hondas and Half-Life and not much else.:LOL:

HAHA, stock exhaust, no fart cans here. I plan on getting a Hyper Medallion exhaust from Tanabe as soon as I start working. And the answer to the second question is, why don't you ask your mom.

And the Zing.

So you're not a ricer? You're name had me convinced otherwise D: I might like you yet.

I do enjoy clean cars. No outrageous body kit, no giant wing, exhaust etc. We need more Tasteful modded cars out here.

This is just very inefficient subliminal advertising, guys.

Toyota, moving forward. And forward. And we're still moving forward. And we can't stop moving forward. Somebody please stop us. Oh, nevermind that tree stopped us. :x

Toyota, moving forward. And forward. And we're still moving forward. And we can't stop moving forward. Somebody please stop us. Oh, nevermind that tree stopped us. :x

Lol.

About the big exhausts, turbo charged engines do not want back-pressure. So turbo exhausts are huge. I've got this one, and it's pretty big.

http://www.customcarscentral.com/trdb301c301-mitsubishi-eclipse--95-99-.html

It's the best exhaust you can get for my car and allows over 1,000 horsepower on turbo & nitrous, though I'll probably only ever go for 400+, since mine is a daily driver.

I prefer NA engines, but I've got a ton of respect for turbocharged engines also. I saw some Eclipses run at the local strip, those things are nasty, man!

"Back pressure is a myth". Don't listen to that, Pitz. I don't believe!
Modern BMWs don't have to worry about the effects described above, because the DME (car's computer) that controls the engine will detect that the engine is burning leaner than before, and will adjust fuel injection to compensate.
This applies only to "modern BMWs" whatever that exactly entails.

I believe that most modern cars (cars with fuel computers) will simply throw up a check engine light if something is off (as your only clue that it even detects something different). The computer will then reduce engine timing (decrease performance) to avoid damaging something.

At least I speak for what my car will do.

I believe detection of a change in A/F ratio will take place at the O2 sensor on any car.

You can of course combat the unbalanced air/fuel mixture with a custom matched computer (designed for the parts you have installed), or, the slightly more expensive but adjustable air/fuel computer - good for people that plan to add more parts later that change the mixture further.

An Apexi Air/Fuel computer (installed): http://stratusphere.ca/enigma/Pictures/Interior/interior13.jpg
Another Apexi A/F computer:http://www.autocarparts.com/images/139/7_2.jpg

I'm sure all cars with fuel computers will be different. But I suspect almost none of them have advanced features to adjust a/f mixture when you put on a bigger exhaust or air intake, or otherwise alter the A/F ratio.

(Perhaps more obviously, a high flow air intake will change the A/F ratio)

Maybe my information on backpressure is outdated, however. I remember having an old Honda that used a carburetor, and the exhaust became damaged and fell off at the manifold. Power loss was enormous. It was also loud as a prop-airplane.

EDIT: another good way to detect if your A/F ratio is tuned properly is to install an EGT (Exhaust gas temperature) sensor and gauge.
By monitoring EGT, the driver can get an idea of the cars air-fuel ratio. At a balanced air-fuel ratio, the exhaust gas temperature is lower than in a lean or rich air-fuel ratio. High temperatures (typically above 1600 degrees F) can be an indicator of dangerous conditions that can lead to catastrophic engine failure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_temperature_gauge

Though of course, with just an EGT setup, you won't be able to make any adjustments. For that, you will need an adjustable A/F computer (like the Apexi pictured above).

These are all parts I need to install on my car before taking it much further, by the way. So, without direct experience, this is the limit of my knowledge in this area.

CyberPitz said:
Then again, no matter how many times I try to understand "Crank walk" I just can't wrap my head around it.
As you probably know, the camshaft is a long rod that makes the pistons go up and down in the correct sequence. I believe what crank walk is, is simply the rod (the crank) has worked its way (slid) to the side a bit.

You hear a lot of talk about it, but I believe this is actually a fairly rare problem in a 4G63 turbo engine. (my engine)

EDIT: decided to search "Crank Walk" and LOL:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crankwalk

I can't believe this shit made it to the Urban dictionary. Holy christ, that's hilarious.

It had been about 10 years ago when I heard about it, and saw DSM'ers so scared of this shit, so I did a ton of reading on it, only to find out how overblown this issue is.

Of course, I didn't realize then, that if you search for a rare problem, you might find a lot of people talking about it. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't rare.

I don't want to be the blind leading the blind here, so keep in mind I could be wrong or a bit inaccurate on just about anything I've said in this thread.

The thing is, I did a crash course for a few months where I studied this stuff diligently, trying to learn about tuning my own car, trying to work towards my goal of about 425 HP. Keep in mind, my car is a 1995, with an engine that was carried over from the previous model year.

It's an old engine that I believe was carried over from the Mitsubishi Lancer race car of old.
Its turbocharged variant, 4G63T (also sometimes referred to simply as the 4G63), has powered Mitsubishi vehicles in World Rally Championships for years in the Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, Lancer Evolution, Carisma GT and Lancer WRC04. It was the powerplant of the Lancer Evolution when Tommi Mäkinen won his four sequential WRC championships in his Lancer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Sirius_engine#4G63
The Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser introduced the DOHC turbocharged intercooled version to the U.S. in 1989 through Diamond Star Motors, a joint venture between Mitsubishi Motors and the Chrysler Corporation.

Unbelievable that it is still being used
In the United Kingdom, a special Lancer Evolution, the FQ-400, produces 302.13 kW (405.2 hp), from a 4G63 engine. At 202.6 hp (151.3 kW) per liter, it has the highest specific output per liter of any production engine.
And it's such an awesome powerplant.

My point is, some of my information may be outdated, or apply to only my specific case, or only to turbo engines, etc.

As you probably know, the crank is a long rod with raised areas that push the spring-loaded valves up in the correct sequence. I believe what crank walk is, is simply the rod (the crank) has worked its way (slid) to the side a bit.

You hear a lot of talk about it, but I believe this is actually a fairly rare problem in a 4G63 turbo engine. (my engine)

EDIT: decided to search "Crank Walk" and LOL:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crankwalk

I can't believe this shit made it to the Urban dictionary. Holy christ, that's hilarious.

It had been about 10 years ago when I heard about it, and saw DSM'ers so scared of this shit, so I did a ton of reading on it, only to find out how overblown this issue is.

Of course, I didn't realize then, that if you search for a rare problem, you might find a lot of people talking about it. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't rare.

Oh believe me, with my engine, I know all about "overblown issues".....

Opps. Being stupid here. Crankshaft moves the pistons, camshaft moves the valves. Sorry, will correct.

You barbarians with your Japanese/European cars. :p

Lolwut.. Didn't know that. D:

I guess Mitsubishi got their just desserts in the end, eh? Hahahaha.

*waits for other Japanese industries to crumble into dust*

Mitsubishi is still around.

As of 2007, Mitsubishi Corporation, a member of the Mitsubishi Group, is Japan's largest general trading company (sogo shosha) with over 200 bases of operations in approximately 80 countries worldwide. Together with its over 500 group companies, Mitsubishi employs a multinational workforce of approximately 54,000 people. Mitsubishi has long been engaged in business with customers around the world in many industries, including energy, metals, machinery, chemicals, food and general merchandise.

Mitsubishi Motors reached 1.3 million cars of total production in 2007.

Chrysler went bankrupt in 2009. (1925-2009 R.I.P.)

God no, shitty American companies making shitty cars for so long...they are bound to go under. At least Ford is coming about rather nicely. They have a good range of efficient cars, then the 2011 Mustang... *grumbles at v6 pushing 300 HP....*

Lots of respect for Ford for not taking the bailout money. I used to work at a Ford parts factory, but I was laid off soon after 9/11.

Yeah, goes to show the guys that are down low don't need handouts to come back very strong.

I'm still holding out for the 16x Rotary :(

Don't know what that is, but I think you're going to tell me. Is that like PCIexpress 16x - for rotary engines?

the 1.6 litre Rotary.

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/rotary/16x/

27-10-2007687.jpg

Really sweet. I'm surprised that they were still using cast iron until this revision.

Yeah. It's awesome how a bigger engine weighs the same. Can't wait.

Also, they have been working with Diesel also. Since it has lubricating properties, seal reliability much?

Back