New Steam Feature: Steam Reviews

Pikminiman

Assistant Writer
Reaction score
Today, Steam introduced a new Steam Reviews beta. The new feature will allow Steam users to write, read, and rate customer reviews about all games on the Steam Store. The review system will replace the now-retired “Recommendation” system on Steam, with the previously-written recommendations now getting upgraded into positive reviews in the new system.

slide-jpg.24572

Users will be able to write positive or negative reviews about Steam games if the reviewer has owned the game for any period of time, which includes temporary ownership by means of Free Weekends and Family Sharing. Steam users will also be able to rate up or rate down reviews that they find helpful or unhelpful, as well as report abusive or spam reviews.

As a means of ensuring users only see the reviews that they can read, Steam Reviews will also be tagged and categorized by the language in which they were written. Developers will be able to respond to Steam Reviews with a special developer flag to increase visibility. The new system will not replace the Metacritic scores on each title, in part because Steam Reviews will not (yet) create any sort of 'overall' score or rating. The lack of 'overall' scores is due to the ever-changing nature of Steam games which receive continued updates and support from developers. As such, recent reviews will be favored in the new system.

To learn more about Steam Reviews, check out the official announcement page, which includes a brief FAQ.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 20,023
"Your review is 7,529 characters too long. Please shorten it and try again."

Not really fully reviews so much as a small "thoughts" section.

The current character limit on Steam Reviews is 4,096. In other words, they set the character limit to 2^12.

To everyone on my friends list: Sorry for clogging up the activity feed with my reviews. I like talking about games. On the other hand if you'd like to vote them up I'd be delighted.

Back