Nintendo Revolution Fully Unveiled!!!

Kschreck

Reaction score
First off the NintendoON was fake. IGN and others confirm this as the new game system:

e3-2005-revolution-revealed-20050517010646774.jpg

New details regarding Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, have started to sprinkle onto the Internet. The machine, which will be revealed during Nintendo's pre-E3 2005 show on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, will sport a slick, black design and a front blue light. Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies.

Nintendo also revealed that using Revolution's new Wi-Fi connection, gamers would be able to go online to a free gamer-matching service. Interestingly, in a move similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade service, Revolution users will be able to download classic and new Nintendo games over the Internet. Nintendo cited such examples as Donkey Kong and Super Mario Sunshine, which suggests that Revolutionaries could have access to games for all the publisher's previous consoles.

The Articles:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/615/615019p1.html

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615008/imgs_1.html

Well IGN says this is it and it's showing up on other big name sites as well. Heck even USA Today. I am having a hard time accepting this as the Nintendo Revolution. It just hst to be fake. No one would buy it. Seriously theres nothing to it. God I hope this is just a trick until Nintendo's booth at E3...

Could be the death of Nintendo, or at least massive downsizing.
Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies. By contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is 13-15 times more powerful than the first, according to the publisher. And Sony says it's PlayStation 3 is roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2.
Big risk Nintendo, what are they thinking? People love big numbers!

Looks the best out of the console asthetics wise.

We got the ps-george foreman-3 and xbox-deepbreath-360.

Part of me says that this is just BS in order to surprise everybody with something uber.

Then the other part of me beats that part into submission and accepts that this is probably it and Nintendo have shot themselves in the foot.

How is it shooting themselves in the foot?

Consoles are about the games, not how many teraflops you can push out.

Pi Mu Rho said:

While that is true, I think you underestimate the power of the mighty teraflop. Your average consumer is going be attracted to the console with the most power. Stack the Revolution against the Xbox 360 and PS3, and guess which one he's notgoing to go for.

Conclusion: I can't imagine the console appealing to anybody who isn't already a Nintendo fan.

Pi Mu Rho said:

Bingo. And the ability to play any nintendo game ever made sounds like a quite kickass feature.

Also, less teraflops being pushed out probably means that this will be the cheapest of the consoles. Cheap = good.

Price isn't really an issue when most people usually have mom and dad forkin' over the dough.

Absinthe said:
While that is true, I think you underestimate the power of the mighty teraflop. Your average consumer is going be attracted to the console with the most power. Stack the Revolution against the Xbox 360 and PS3, and guess which one he's notgoing to go for.

Meh, consumers are dumb. Show them a video and some pretty screenshots, and they're sold.

Conclusion: I can't imagine the console appealing to anybody who isn't already a Nintendo fan.

Given the amount of Nintendo fans out there, that's not really a problem.
I get the impression that Nintendo are distancing themselves from MS and Sony. They've already got their very own, established market. Why not let the other two fight it out?

yes but wich one are they going to get... they will be more inclined to the cheaper one no?

Wow it is a bit o a let down... nintendo ON prob didnt help hype it out of proportion...

Seems fake to me. Nice looking machine though.

We don't have official details yet, guys (full specs, launch titles, marketing etc.). All will be revealed in a few hours.

We will all understand in the course of....well i'm not really at liberty to say :).

The fact that the Revoloution might be underpowered is very bad for Nintendo. Like has already been said the consumers are going to be attracted to the more powerful consoles, it may sound dumb but it's a fact. If more consumers are attracted to the higher power consoles more games are going to be developed for said consoles. Therefore you might get a few great games from Nintendo themselves but you won't get many.

Until we see hardware figures though it's all speculation. I agree though, if that picture's real it looks the nicest out of all the next gen consoles.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Meh, consumers are dumb. Show them a video and some pretty screenshots, and they're sold.
Yeah, I guess a huge amount of people that buy consoles are clueless parents buying it for their kid's birthday. Nintendo is the most well known name in the industry, so that'll attract them.

Wow. They screwed up big time on the looks. It looks so average.

It looks slick to me. However, they better come up with something truly Revolutionary in order to keep up with Sony and Microsoft.

Come on Nintendo, you can do it!

I'll support them until the day I die. :cheers:

Being three times more powerful would indicate they are using a 1.8ghz CPU (if I remember the Game Cubes power correctly), which I would then call complete bullshit.

I would also call that picture bullshit. It definitaly doesn't look real at all, far too much like a render.

I could be wrong but I hereby declare all of that article bull.

I would also like to point out that Microsoft and Sony are most certainly stretching the truth about the true power of their consoles. The newest PC's are only around 4-5 times as powerful as the current X-box, and the current X-box is 3 times as powerful as the PS2.

Pi Mu Rho said:
It's not neccessarily dumb to enjoy high quality graphics quality, I consider myself a graphics enthusiast that has more enjoyment from the quality of the rendered scene itself than the gameplay.

...or i'm dumb.

Not really fully unveiled as the thread title suggests.......

lePobz said:
It's not neccessarily dumb to enjoy high quality graphics quality, I consider myself a graphics enthusiast that has more enjoyment from the quality of the rendered scene itself than the gameplay.

...or i'm dumb.
Maybe.

But obviously he meant in general. None of us here are regular consumers.

It's those that think NFS:U is the best racing game out there because it has cooleh cars that look like the ones in 2f2furious that are the regular consumers. They don't know a GPU from a CPU.

SearanoX said:
Actually, I think all three companies are coming up with different ways to express their console's power. I think Nintendo's statement is inferring that graphics will be two to three times better on their console than on the GameCube, whereas Microsoft and Sony are taking into account everything - the number of HDTV streams it can render, the speed of the graphics and CPU, etc. Remember that the PS2 only has a 200MHz core and the XBox's runs at 733MHz. Even though the XBox 360 looks to be about ten times more powerful than the original, the graphics we're seeing on it aren't really mindblowing, and some current XBox games are even competitive with 360 games in the graphics department. We haven't seen enough of the PS3 to judge it, and we don't even have official specifications on the Revolution just yet.

So, I think it's safe to say that if Sony and Microsoft aren't lying, then they're exaggerating the power of their consoles by factoring in every little addition and giving false impressions as to what we'll see rendered in real-time gameplay environments.
I agree with everything else you said. However I also wouldn't be surprised if they are lying because as I understand it both Microsoft and Sony basically outright lied about the power of their current consoles when they were first revealed at E3. They were claiming they could process a number of polygons on the screen that neither was ever capable of. That however is just as I understood it.

The Mullinator said:
I agree with everything else you said. However I also wouldn't be surprised if they are lying because as I understand it both Microsoft and Sony basically outright lied about the power of their current consoles when they were first revealed at E3. They were claiming they could process a number of polygons on the screen that neither was ever capable of. That however is just as I understood it.
The way I understood that incident was that the hardware specs quoted polygon counts per second, yet the scenes were rendered per frame (and with about 60 frames per second, you have to divide the max polys per second to get the max polys per frame).

I guess the same would apply with this generation?

pfft, so many of you forget the roots of gaming ...graphics are not everything ..gameplay still sells games ...Nintendo will always have a following, most people who buy games (read: NON-GAMERS) wouldnt know a teraflop from terracotta ...xbox had superior graphics but poor selection of games ...even 5 years after it's launch it still doesnt have any outstanding games ..well none that were xbox exclusive (halo was the exception) ..yet ps2 and gamecube, with far inferior graphics had some great games. I havent decided if I'll buy a console or even which one I'll get ..the quality of next-gen games will decide it for me

Ritz said:
Pfft, any normall person doesnt know that.
That's 'normal' and I didn't know it either but I googled it. Most of us normal people know how to use google, you see.

:p

Prince of China said:
Are you serious?
Nintendo (Japanese: 任天堂; Ninten is roughly translated as "leave luck to heaven" or "in heaven's hands", do is a common suffix for names of shops or laboratories. TSE: NTDOY) was originally founded in 1889 by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce handmade hanafuda cards, for use in a Japanese playing card game of the same name. Over the years, it became a video game company and one of the most powerful in the industry. Aside from video games, Nintendo is also the majority owner of the Seattle Mariners Major League Baseball team. Nintendo Co., Ltd (NCL), the main branch of the company, is based in Kyoto, Kyōto Prefecture, Japan. Nintendo of America (NOA), its North American division, is based in Redmond, Washington, Nintendo of Australia, its Australian division, is based in Scoresby, Victoria, and Nintendo Europe, the European division, is based in Großostheim, Germany.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo

Yup

Back