ok, doom 3 runs faster for me than HL2, help plz =(

C

catalyst007

Ok clearly from the title, ur prolly suprised but... yup its true...

Essentially i have right now both games @ the absolutely bottem quality (i perfer FPS over quality, can't enjoy a game unless its smooth) but anyways i started running HL2 offline (as previously suggested) and well, i would rarely touch 40FPS where as in doom 3, i'm almost always @ 50-60FPS w/ no action, and atleast 30FPS in action.

HL2 sucks for me, why! i mean, its still playable 2 a point that i'm playing @ 7FPS fighting aliens w/ flaming cans in the background while shooting cans of paint w/ the gravity gun @ those zombies (which is quite fun, especially when they turn white... silly zombies)

so ya, wat can i do 2 fix it?

BTW, my specs:

P4 3.0 w/ HT
512 PC2700 DDR SO-DIMM Ram
ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 w/ 64 Megs of ram
15.4" widescreen

(I would expect these stats w/ HL2 should kick ass...but i was wrong)

also, my settings are at low and i play at 720x480 widescreen 16:10 resolution

i play doom 3 with all advanced features enabled running @ 640x480 and i enable r_aspectratio 2 to enable 16:10 widescreen making the game run @ 720x480 (theoreticly)

If anyone can help, that would be amazing. I also current have Omega 2.5.90 - Catalyst 4.10 Beta - 2D version: 6.14.10.6490 drivers installed.

I think its my video drivers but i want suggestions before i go thru the pain in the ass process of uninstalling then reinstalling vid drivers

Thanks,
Cata

Well the 64mb video card combined with the low amound of ram could be the problem.

ok, so ur essentially saying the HL2 is more graphic intensive then doom 3? even at low settings? i seriosuly doubt it

why would u need a game that requires 1gig of ram, i seriosuly doubt that the gaming community would go to such extremes.

i'm being realistic and only HOPING for 10FPS more for a bit more sm00thness instead of 23fps

Well you should get the 4.12 beta drivers from ati, they give a performance boost in HL2, plus your using a mobility card what do you expect? 64mb of video ram is hardly enough to run UT2k4, I'm suprised you got doom3 to run smoothly and its probably only because you were running at 640x480. Although I do admit you should be able to run hl2 somewhat descently, but the mobility doesn't really help, its a toned down version of a 9600 so it will fit into a laptop don't expect awesome framerates.

Alright i'll try the new drivers but i have Unreal 2k4 and i runs smoothly @ 1280x800 resolution, i'd expect others aswell to

but i also had a feeling it was my vid card drivers but thx anyways

on another note, is there any restrictions on the amount of things i can enable in game? like AA or AF?