One of those 'Steam is temporarily unavailable, please try later' errors?

S

SmittyWerben

I've been trying to update Steam for the last couple of hours. The percentage starts from 0% to 30-33%, repeats, and then the message tells me that "Steam is unavailable, try again later".

The things I've tried to do -

I deleted the Clientregistry.blob file, to no avail.

I deleted all the Steam files except my 10 gb Steamapps folder and the main steam.exe. I reinstalled Steam and tried Updating Steam, which came back with the same message.

I've tried a few solutions from several forums and threads. Which all have not worked.

I checked my firewall, turned it off, it still didn't work. I turn it back on, and just changed my allow settings for steam, and still didn't work.

==============================================================

So anyway, I've noticed that some things have buggered up since an update on the 30th of november, is that a possible cause?

I've seen only a few people having this problem, and some of them had 56k. I also use 56k. But that shouldn't be a problem, yesterday everything was running fine. I was playing both Ep 1 and 2, and I was also mapping, which was working perfectly.

Now I just need steam update so I can continue. The updating just ain't working.

I'll appreciate anyones help.

EDIT:

I've visited other websites once again and found nothing. I've also been to steampowered forums and checked how many people are having the same problem. Lots of people are, and most of them have the same connection (like 56k). It's been three days apparently, and the problem still persists. I've done all the so-called solutions and they don't work.

Jesus **** I hate these.

Simplest way is I find to cut out the Steamapps Folder, paste it somewhere else, reinstall Steam, paste back the Steamapps folder. If you cut/paste onto the same drive it should take like a second instead of the hours it would take to copy.

It's still really annoying and I wish Valve would find a REAL solution.

/EDIT I use the Steaminstall of the official website, if that helps any.

Thanks alot mate, I've already cut out my steamapps folder and tried reinstalling steam, but thanks anyway. To install, I'm using the Steaminstall file on my Orange Box Disc. I'm guessing its the same file from the steam website.

Steam sucks..

I am facing exactly the same problem.
I just got a new box pack of HL2 Episode 1.
Tried installing steam for the Autorun.
The update reaches 32-33% then restarts...goes into the loop 3 times then terminates leaving a message
"Steam is temporarily unavailable. Please try later."

PS: Mine is a 128 kbps wired connection
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot mate, I've already cut out my steamapps folder and tried reinstalling steam, but thanks anyway. To install, I'm using the Steaminstall file on my Orange Box Disc. I'm guessing its the same file from the steam website.

I think so, but I use the Steampowered.com one just in case.

The update reaches 32-33% then restarts...goes into the loop 3 times then terminates leaving a message

Have you tried everything, like deleting the clientregistry.blob file, reinstalling Steam without any other files in the folder except the steamapps folder (that should be cut and pasted in a different area).

It's depressing really, I've tried everything myself. Valve ain't really doing much either, which is sad. If you look in the Steampowered forums, there are huge threads. Steam was working fine just the day before, and I was doing some mapping.

I think so, but I use the Steampowered.com one just in case.

Alright, I have a look. Cheers.

EDIT:

Steampowered is the main steam website, I can't find any other Steam website that is an official site.

Yes, steampowered is the official Steam website.

Many people have had this problem for other a month now, some claim it to be two months. Is it just a bug in the system, or is it something that Valve just don't wanna fix yet.

I mean, I download the installer from there to use. It's the only constantly working solution for me.

Thanks everyone, its all fixed now. A valve employee on the steampowered forums posted on the help forums, and made a zip file containing the entire steam, so you can update and use steam.

The forum page is here, if you move down a bit, you'll see the employees post.

I'd just like to thank everyone for there contribution, thanks for helping.

For everyone who is having the same problem, check the thread page.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622489&page=56

Just drag down a tiny bit, and you'll see jmccasky post.

Have you tried changing your font size ? I heard that has helped quite a few people >.>

Back