Overrated/Underrated Actor/Actress?

Reaction score
Based on their acting abilities:

Overrated actor: Morgan Freeman - lets just say hes really good at being a friendly old man. But he never takes his characters to the next level.

Underrated actor: Patrick Mcgoohan - if you seen his pervious work in films, he has a great acting style.

Overrated actress: Angelina Jolie - same person all the time but with different accents. If she wasnt so attractive no one would care about her.

Underrated actress: Evan Rachel Wood - her performance near the end of "thirteen" is oscar-worthy.

Name as many as you like

Overrated actors Bruce Willis, Tom Hanks.
Underrated, Christopher Walken.
Overratted Actress, Zeta Jones.
Underated, Helen Milren, Julie Walters.

baxter said:

Bruce Willis maybe but I think Tom Hanks is a solid actor.

Christopher Walken isn't really underrated, he just doesn't have a leading role in many movies. He's awesome though.

Overrated Actors - Nobody special comes to mind
Underrated - Well...certainly not underrated, but I'd like to see him in more movies - Ed Norton - He's won 2 oscars (ones he deserved)
Overrated Actress - Agreed on Zeta Jones
Underrated - Nobody comes to mind.

Overrated Actors - Leonardo DeCaprio. He can't act, in every single movie he's in he sounds and acts the same.

Underrated Actors - Paul Giamatti from Sideways. He was awesome in Sideways, should've been nominated for an Oscar, easily. I haven't seen any of the other Oscar movies so i can't say whether or not he's better in Sideways then the others though.

Can't really think of any underrated or overrated actresses

Gary Oldman get the recognition he deserves. I watched Leon, True Romance, and Romeo is Bleeding last weekend - he's amazing in all of them.

No one does on the edge of sanity as well as our Gary :)

well not technically on topic but i still dont understand how jamie foxx won best actor for ray at the oscars but their a joke imo,hilary swank ahead of imela staunton,gimme abreak,javier bardem should have won best actor for the spanish flick'the sea inside' but wasnt even nominated ffs

Overrated: Leonardo DeCaprio
Underrated: Christian Bale, Gary Oldman

(agreed with points by Sparta and Warbie)

jimbo118 said:
well not technically on topic but i still dont understand how jamie foxx won best actor for ray at the oscars but their a joke imo,hilary swank ahead of imela staunton,gimme abreak,javier bardem should have won best actor for the spanish flick'the sea inside' but wasnt even nominated ffs

Because the oscar judges thinks no one else could of played ray charles better.

jimbo118 said:
well not technically on topic but i still dont understand how jamie foxx won best actor for ray at the oscars but their a joke imo
Perhaps because of his great portrayal of Ray Charles?

baxter said:

Tom Hanks is the one of the greatest actors of all time.

jimbo118 said:

You obviously didn't see Ray.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
Perhaps because of his great portrayal of Ray Charles?
much better performances than that and to deus ex machina you obviously havent seen 'the sea inside'

jimbo118 said:
much better performances than that and to deus ex machina you obviously havent seen 'the sea inside'
Well, I think of it this way: The Academy is composed of a few thousand people in the film industry who know a good performance when they see one. So, I trust them to make a better decision about which performance was the best better than some snot-nosed punk like me or you.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
Well, I think of it this way: The Academy is composed of a few thousand people in the film industry who know a good performance when they see one. So, I trust them to make a better decision about which performance was the best better than some snot-nosed punk like me or you.
i dont trust them,lol,nm,maybe hes good in collateral(sp?)

The most over-rated actors and actresses today are...Kiera Knightly, Russel Crowe, Bruce Willis to an extent, but he is still very good, Vin Diesel and Leonardo Di Caprio, he isn't as bad as he used to be in Titanic, but he is still over-rated.

And anyone who can find an actor today that is better then Tom Hanks is a...:p

i think russell crowe is good,have you seen 'the insider'?

What's with all the Bruce Willis hating, he's done some very good movies......wait classics.

brink's said:
What's with all the Bruce Willis hating, he's done some very good movies......wait classics.

I think he a great actor, but i think that he is over rated a bit.

jimbo118 said:
i think russell crowe is good,have you seen 'the insider'?

Agreed, he was also good in Beautiful Mind aswell. But hes a ignorant bastard in real-life.

Bruce Willis was good in Hart's War, Die Hard series and Unbreakable.

Tom Hanks is awesome. Someone name one movie that he was crap in? He was ultra awesome in Road to Perdition. And what a great job Thomas Newman did with the soundtrack on a side note.

Jamie Foxx did a convincing peformance in Ray. He definently deserved an Oscar.

overrated: Leonardo DiCaprio, Charlize Theron (its a shame cos she is so dam fine) and Keanu Reeves (maybe not overrated, but a crap wood faced actor nonetheless, who has been given too many good roles)

Denzel Washington is pretty overrated, his performance in Training Day was just :cheese: :p

Underrated I would have to say Peter Mullan, he was in Session 9, which just so happens to be one of the most underrated movies I know of.

DeusExMachinia said:
Yes, he's very good in Collateral.
the film looks good,the cinematography looks beautiful,dunno about tom cruise though,has it got a good ending?michael mann is a great director,i'll be very interested to see his take on miami vice

Harryz said:
Agreed, he was also good in Beautiful Mind aswell. But hes a ignorant bastard in real-life.

Bruce Willis was good in Hart's War, Die Hard series and Unbreakable.

Tom Hanks is awesome. Someone name one movie that he was crap in? He was ultra awesome in Road to Perdition. And what a great job Thomas Newman did with the soundtrack on a side note.

Jamie Foxx did a convincing peformance in Ray. He definently deserved an Oscar.
i though road to perdition was 1 of hanks weakest performances,maybe coz he didnt really have any killer lines or anything,he was just playing a hitman,,gotta love that films music though,shame about newmans oirish accent,ah no only kidn it was pretty good,still hanks was unbelievable in philadelphia :eek:

mortiz said:
Denzel Washington is pretty overrated, his performance in Training Day was just :cheese: :p

Underrated I would have to say Peter Mullan, he was in Session 9, which just so happens to be one of the most underrated movies I know of.
yeah supposedly real cops left the cinema they were so disgusted with training day,i thought the film rocked,the parts i saw anyway,sry 3 posts :stare:

jimbo118 said:
the film looks good,the cinematography looks beautiful,dunno about tom cruise though,has it got a good ending?michael mann is a great director,i'll be very interested to see his take on miami vice

Tom Cruise is great in it. The ending is pretty good, though perhaps a little predictable. But, when you see it and get to the ending, you'll realize why its an appropiate ending to the movie.

steve buscemi is deffinatley underrated but i don't think hes ever taken the leading roll

^i know what you mean. Buscemi is awesome. Fargo, Big Lebowski, and hes even good in Armageddon. Even though he hasnt really ever had a leading role, hes in a bitch load of movies, so i guess it evens out..dunno.

^Buscemi
Michael Madsen
Harvey Keitel
Tim Roth

I know I am just listing off the "Dogs" but I think they all deserve a decent part soon.

Infact...I haven't heard of Keitel for sooo long....Is he dead?

well, he was just in Be Cool, and accodring to imdb, hes in 7 movies coming out in 2005 (including Be Cool).

Oh thank god. He is one of my favourite actors ever. Along with Madsen. Shame they aren't as famous as they once were.

mortiz said:

No way :| . Denzel's end speech was just awesome. Ethan Hawke was good in the movie aswell, if not, a better peformance then Denzel IMHO.

@jimbo118 - Yeah, he was good in Philidelphia. He lost a lot of weight for that role aswell.

Micheal Mann has directed some good movies such as Heat, Insider and Collateral. It would indeed be interesting to see how Maimi Vice turns out. Isn't Jamie Foxx and Collin Farrell supposed to be in it?

Harryz said:
No way :| . Denzel's end speech was just awesome. Ethan Hawke was good in the movie aswell, if not, a better peformance then Denzel IMHO.

@jimbo118 - Yeah, he was good in Philidelphia. He lost a lot of weight for that role aswell.

Micheal Mann has directed some good movies such as Heat, Insider and Collateral. It would indeed be interesting to see how Maimi Vice turns out. Isn't Jamie Foxx and Collin Farrell supposed to be in it?
yes they are the actors,mann said it wont be set in the 70s or anything,it'd be a realistic flick(like all of his,he is a realism nut),speakin of farrell i'm looking forward to seeing him in http://www.thenewworldmovie.com/

the trailer looks cool imo,some people probably will have second thoughts on it because its directed by terence malick who did the thin red line,hes a great director imo,hes only done 3 films but i like his style,its about the first settlers in america which i find very interesting,looks last of the mohicans-ish but a different time period obviously

Back