PC Format UK Half Life 2 Reviewed - 96%

shade70

Reaction score
Another great review for HL2, with PCF singing its praises.

A few quotes:
"While unquestionably the sequel to the original game, HL2 puts enormous emphasis on flawless production values and split second story telling. It crams in a bewildering amount of ideas without ever faltering, to make a magnificent, dramatic escapade that will reverberate in the imagination of gamers for years to come".

"While not on par with Doom 3's lavish dynamic lighting, HL2 manages to present a massively detailed & naturalistic enviroment that is both seamless & utterly convincing, and City 17 is an unparalleled setting for such a sweeping, varied storyline, a tale that encompasses grotesque horror, edgey sci-fi & high speed stunts"

"Its here at last and its a masterpiece"

Final Score:96% with the summary "PCF says ...'The PC's finest gaming moment, with a half life of forever'"

Doesnt give a release date.

I want it now!!!! lol

Yeah, yeah, yeah...
Great, brilliant, groundbreaking, revolutionary, and so on.
Just release game ffs.

Grrr

Its just sitting on my pc, just waiting for that little HL2 icon to move 1 inch down the list

My steam updated this morning, anyone know what that was about?

But yeah, release the game!

Is this the same as the Slovenian review that appeared a couple of weeks ago? I think that was PC Format as well right?

just like the 'EXCLUSIVE PREVIEWS!!!!' all the magazines had a couple of months ago, all these reviews are pretty much identical.

suspicious if you ask me.

Dr0ndeh said:
just like the 'EXCLUSIVE PREVIEWS!!!!' all the magazines had a couple of months ago, all these reviews are pretty much identical.

suspicious if you ask me.

Yeah, they all say its friggin' great! :p

Nice. Another great score. I want to rate it myself now, so release the game Valve!

Just rushed out and bought it. So far I have seen 4 reviews and they all share common screenies. Obviously valve them with a standard set, and maybe one or two exclusive ones. SO, no need to get the mag if you are after new pics. The review itself is only 5 pages and really doesn't go into much detail. Pretty much along the lines of all the other reviews thus far.

SFLUFAN said:
Is this the same as the Slovenian review that appeared a couple of weeks ago? I think that was PC Format as well right?
Yeah, except slightly more intelligible!

lans said:
WTF - is that chick holding a crowbar the ACTUAL cover?
Yep. I know what you mean, I thought there'd be a huge Gordon, or the lamda symbol or something. It isn't immediatley obvious that it is reviewing HL2. In fact, I got half-way to the shop and thought that maybe it was a preview issue, but decided to have a look anyway.

a why put girl wit big tities instead of freeman? me know understand

"ugh Gordon, apparently that drug we were giving you has some unfortunate side effects"

PCF always has scandalous females on the cover. I can't think why. :stare:

SFLUFAN said:

Well, it obviously is. :afro: I have a confirmation from the Slovene editors that it is but it is in slovene language, so I don't see a point in translating it. But the cover of the magazine was very cool and it prooves enough that the reviews are basicly the same
pcf_32.gif

Wow another shit hot review score,my patience is wearing very thin valve,release the game now or i shall strike down upon thee with GREAT vengance and FURIOUS anger. :angry:

...On those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers! And then you will -know- that my name is -THE LORD- WHEN I LAY MY FINGERS UPON THEE!

*bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam*

Grub said:
...On those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers! And then you will -know- that my name is -THE LORD- WHEN I LAY MY FINGERS UPON THEE!

*bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam*

what about r u the fek on brother?

Tequila said:
PCF always has scandalous females on the cover. I can't think why. :stare:

Yep, they did try having the covers more PC related last year, but I guess sales dropped so they went back to Big chested models.....hey, Im all for that!

Does it list the requirements for HL2? Does it say "Net Connection?
--
Grumps

Harryz said:
Of course not.
Of-course not what?

PCGamer (UK) listed the requirements and said "Net Connection" required, "Multiplayer: No" which seemed a contradiction. Probably an error. PCF should list the requirements too...
--
Grumps

grumpycrab said:
Of-course not what?

PCGamer (UK) listed the requirements and said "Net Connection" required, "Multiplayer: No" which seemed a contradiction. Probably an error. PCF should list the requirements too...
--
Grumps
I believe they're meaning to say that HL2 requires an internet connection for Steam authentication, but there's no HL2DM. CS:S is probably being considered as a separate game in the review.

[edit] And did anyone else get this?
The PC's finest gaming moment, with a half life of forever
That line is pure genius :E

So is 96% high enough for the Half Life community? Is this high enough to count as a valid review and a good reviewer? What's the threshold again? Anything below 93% is a terrible review from an uncredible source right? Does mentioning Doom 3's lighting automatically make this a frivalous review?

Fishlore said:
So is 96% high enough for the Half Life community? Is this high enough to count as a valid review and a good reviewer? What's the threshold again? Anything below 93% is a terrible review from an uncredible source right? Does mentioning Doom 3's lighting automatically make this a frivalous review?

In order to reply you must first pay the troll.

stigmata said:
I believe they're meaning to say that HL2 requires an internet connection for Steam authentication...
Has this been stated clearly by Valve recently? Or do you have a different recent source?
--
Grumps

grumpycrab said:
Has this been stated clearly by Valve recently? Or do you have a different recent source?
--
Grumps
Not to resurrect the thread on purpose, but you must be connected to the internet to authenticate your steam account with Valve servers. Once that's done, you can disconnect and run Steam in offline mode. This merely prevents more than one person running your HL2 key at the same time.

Back