PCI & Soundcard Question

Pulse

Reaction score
My onboard soundcard has recently decided to die on me so I need to buy a new one, only thing is the PCI slots on my motherboard are confusing me;

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=ConRoe1333-D667 R2.0

mobopu3.png

It is exactly as shown and has those two spare slots which I think are PCI but I'm not sure. When I look at images of potential PCI soundcards I could buy, the slots on the card don't look like they would fit in the slots on my mobo e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Sound-Blaster®-Audigy®-SE/dp/tech-data/B000BRXY0U/ref=de_a_smtd

Can anyone determine what sort of card I'd need to purchase to fit into these spare slots?

The Creative card in your link will fit you board fine. Just make sure you don't get a PCI-E type card.

I had the same card, piece of shit. Does the job I guess though.

The Creative card in your link will fit you board fine. Just make sure you don't get a PCI-E type card.
Yeah that's what I thought, got my knickers in a twist though.

Cheers guys.

You'll be fine with that, those are indeed standard PCI slots, the one above the two PCI slots is another variation PCI x2, which are for things like raid controller cards, or very basic sound cards too. I hope you are familiar with the process to install cards like this into your PC? It's simple indeed, but you must be wary of things like static and other components.

Off Topic:

What does a soundcard do better than onboard if you already h ave 5.1 surround speakers on a 5.1 surround onboard audio?

Off Topic:

What does a soundcard do better than onboard if you already h ave 5.1 surround speakers on a 5.1 surround onboard audio?

Generally, sound cards will offer features that many onboard audio chips will not (EAX, Dolby Digital Live), increased sound and recording quality, and less cpu utilization.

Before you go and buy new parts, is your board still under warranty?

Also, discrete sound cards provide simply awesome sound, provided you have the sound systems and connectors to go with it. I mean, even if you have a X-Fi Fatal1ty or something, it's not going to sound any good at all if you've got some crappy no name stereo shit-boxes.

You'll be fine with that, those are indeed standard PCI slots, the one above the two PCI slots is another variation PCI x2, which are for things like raid controller cards, or very basic sound cards too. I hope you are familiar with the process to install cards like this into your PC? It's simple indeed, but you must be wary of things like static and other components.

Yeah I'm fine with all of that, was just used to fitting AGP cards on my old rig and seeing as how the picture used on amazon looked very similar to an AGP card it confused my feeble brain somewhat.

Darkwolf said:
Before you go and buy new parts, is your board still under warranty?

Also, discrete sound cards provide simply awesome sound, provided you have the sound systems and connectors to go with it. I mean, even if you have a X-Fi Fatal1ty or something, it's not going to sound any good at all if you've got some crappy no name stereo shit-boxes.

Warranty ran out a month or two ago. I've got a fairly decent pair of Philips speakers and a beefy external subwoofer which have served me well, so I won't be replacing them until they conk out on me.

I had the same card, piece of shit. Does the job I guess though.

Ive been using it for a couple years now and its never given me any trouble. Much better than the onboard Realtek shit that most motherboards come with.

I will never settle for on board ever again. Even my POS $40 sound card is worlds better than most shit on boards. You can tell instantly.

Got the card through today and it was as suspected, it has the 2 small slots then the large one in the middle and it won't fit into the slots provided on my motherboard, so they can't be PCI.

What the **** should I do now? I'm still soundless, minus 30 quid and don't know how I'm going to fix this at all.

EDIT: I've noticed that my onboard soundcard may not be completely broken, as when I turn my speakers up to maximum volume I can hear some very quiet, distorted audio. I've tried uninstalling, updating and rerolling the Realtek audio drivers to no avail. Any suggestions?

The difference in sound quality between onboard and dedicated cards is most obvious, and most worth considering, when you're using (proper) headphones. Most you're gonna notice with speakers is a slightly more detailed sound image, and the surround effects (eax). The better the speakers/headphones, the more you will notice it. If you like proper sound, it's worth investing in both.

But on topic, the two highlighted ones are normal PCI slots, any PCI card will fit in.

edit; missed that post, what the hell. I think you're either doing it wrong, or either one was misproduced.

Can you take a picture of the PCI slot on your motherboard with the PCI Soundcard beside (or if you can't, just by itself)? It'll help greatly to solve your problem.

Not as present, as I have no means of transferring photos I take on my phone to my PC (long story, never buy LG phones).

Compare the soundcard to the slots I highlighted on the main motherboard picture though, they just don't fit at all, even though they are both supposed to be PCI.

I've tried uninstalling, updating and rerolling the Realtek audio drivers to no avail. Any suggestions?
Not to patronise, but you have checked that none of the speaker connectors are loose, that they're in the right slots and checked the various windows' volume controls. I remember thinking my crappy cambridge soundworks speakers had died when all I got was a hum from the subwoofer. Putting the rear and front channels in the right connectors helps :p

As for the new card, regardless of the extra key notch, doesn't it fit in the slot? It's the card that is strange, all PCI slots look like yours.
edit: Found something:
On a side note, you may notice that the PCI slots only have 1 nick in the slot while the card has 2 nicks. This is because newer PCI slots used less power for efficency and had 2 nicks instead of 1. in turn, this card is compatable with both variants on the PCI slot thus no worries of it not fitting.
Sauce
Also

I'm using onboard sound under Vista as I couldn't get my mic to work with my soundcard :(

Can you send the card back?

Back