Perfect Dark Update

A

Azlan

Perfect Dark mod is being created by a French team who wants to recreate the amazing, though mostly overlooked Nintendo 64 Rareware game of the same name. This mod has been in creation for awhile now, but they just released some great shots of some of their progress on their website. [br]</br>In addition, they have mixed a new music track to go along with one of their levels. Download Chicago by clicking on it.[br]

[br]To read more about this mod, please visit their webpage by clicking here.

Please do NOT create posts to warn them about copywright laws. They know.

Damn... I was just about to translate it into french...

Perfect Dark was cool, but that stupid alien was annoying.

They could make the chicago song much better if they hired one violin player to play that rift once for them :p

Too much techno-y but it is a nice song

Not too bad :)

You expect me to use that sweet looking .357.. AND those nerf guns?
Everything looks nice..except those nerf guns...

Why do so many mods use the hl2 logo shape surrounding the lamda? Is it required? Or is it just coz it's cool? Or because immediately you know what game the mod is for?

I love perfect dark, I hope the realization will be good.

i'm really looking forward to this, perfect dark was an amazing game..

yes thats about to be demolished by a couple of kids thinking they can model..sorry for my negativity...but cmon.

i want to use the maians weapons on source engine :imu:
they are doing a great conversion

Love Perfect Dark; Looking forward to it. :D Nice map, but the models are lacking some oomph.

REALLY looking forward to this one, loved PD, this should be awesome, keep up the good work and ignore the tossers who are just here to take the piss:flame:

Here is the original Chicago track, if anyone wants to compare. (Its on the Nintendo Perfect Dark site.)

God, going on that site brought back so many good memories. :D

EDIT: And bad ones, forgot Rare went to Microsoft. ;( Ooh ooh Credits Theme kicks sooooo much ass!!

Nothing in those pics remind me of PD... I hope this time around, though, I can personally kick the guy's head at the start of the 2nd level (in the elevator). :O

Perfect Dark was one of the Best FPS's ever. It was a SUCCESSFUL Goldeneye follow-up and I'm glad someone is faithfully recreating it for HL2. Hope everything works out (with copyrights) but I thikn they're on the right path. Anyone here to talk crap about the models can stuff it :smoking:

I hope they manage to get it out and all of that, I loved perfect dark. I was on the team of Perfect Dark: Source before we decided to abandon it because we didn't want to risk being shut down.

Hope they don't screw this up, PD was a great game. =D
It looks pretty nice and all, but those alien weapons?
...Weeeell... o_o They look kinda weird...

Anyfruit, went to their site, and the normal weapon models look real good, so do the levels.

Guns I would love to see WORKING in Source (anywhere in Source):

- The Farsight "seeing-through-walls" gun. Modelling it is one thing, but if they can implement its X-ray capabilities with some updated trippy visual effect then we've got something to look forward to...

- Laptop gun! Why nobody has yet filched this fantastic idea for their own FPS's is beyond me. Image using a laptop gun in HL2DM, for example :bounce:

- The Dragon machine gun, secondary mode. Drop the gun on the floor... someone goes to pick it up... BOOM! :D Would be hilarious with ragdoll

- The Slayer remote controlled rocket would also be class in a source game

And everything else from PD, of course. Get to it guys!

Perfect Dark was my favorite n64 game probably, I loooooved that game.

One time I spent one entire summer completing everything in the firing range.

Then much of the next trying to get through the multiplayer missions.

I was never able to get to the WAR level because the game was too hard for me. I came close, but could never get it to that extra level.

Perfect Dark was ahead of its time. A game like that would fit nicely even in today's gaming world. I await this with great anticipation.

A True Canadian said:
Perfect Dark was ahead of its time. A game like that would fit nicely even in today's gaming world.

I'm still waiting for a current-gen console FPS which offers the same amount of customisation in multiplayer.
Honestly, the amount of stuff you could tweak in PD was insane.

Even today, it shits on something like TimeSplitters 2 from a great height.

Me and my friends beat the shit out of that game. Man was it great. Every secret unlocked, levels too.

The war mission you're talking about, Canadian, was a fight against unlimited skedar and three skedar kings (on hard), using only alien weaponry and unlimited alien allies. Damn difficult.

My only gripe was the fact you couldn't play as a Skedar on multiplayer :(

My fondest memory is the Carrington Institute level. I just remember thinking the place was deserted and wandering up the ramp and turning into the main hall to be faced with the first Skedar you fight. Being only 11 years old, this was extremely scary.

EDIT: P.s. I hope it includes Co-Op because that will mean the return of the rather sumptuous Velvet Dark.

How can mods like that avoid copyright laws? Is it possible to get mods out to the public that are based on a prexisting idea? If so, how can they do it and also what the chances of the mod getting shut down?

They could just change the name to 'Flawless Dark' or something. Flawless Dark starring Joanna Dark.

I'm still baffled on how Perfect Dark for N64 got a 9.9 while Half-Life 2 gets a 9.2 on gamespot. Seriously those guys know jack shit about whats good.

I guess, Perfect Dark was more accesable (sp?) to the masses. HL was quite demanding. It required an up-to date PC and the inclination to actually buy a PC game. All PD needed was an N64 which quite a few people had in those days.

no greater weapons EVER then the slayer and the x-ray gun. i forgot how incredably awsome the laptop gun was. man i almost want ot buy another 64 just to play that game/ w00t.

My personal favourite was always the Cyclone. It was weak but when you put that thing on secondary mode, it released those bullets like......a Cyclone releasing bullets. Amazing.

actually, I liked that song a lot. Definitely reminded me of the Chicago level. Man, I love perfect dark (never really got into it until last year, though)

Dual weilding cyclones was the master of....dare i say.....pwnage? Halo 2 is all like booya we just made this new revolutionary thing called dual weilding, it's something no one has ever heard of. While all the perfect dark fans and golden eye fans have been doing it for years. PD had so many awesome guns, laptop anyone? or the callisto or the farsight, cylone, pheonix, cmp, (super)dragon. Man i hope this mod makes it.

If they get this mod right it could be the best MP Hafe Life mod ever! Far Sight, laptop Gun,slayer rockers and K7 Avenger were the best. There are so many weapons to put in this mod its not funny here is a list.

FALCON 2
FALCON 2 (silenced)
FALCON 2 (scope)
MagSec4
PHOENIX
MAULER
DY357 Magnum
CMP150
SNIPER RIFLE
CROSSBOW
TRANQUILIZER
LASER
CYCLONE
CALLISTO NTG
RC-P120
LAPTOP GUN
DRAGON
K7 AVENGER
AR34
SUPERDRAGON
SHOTGUN
REAPER
FARSIGHT XR-20
DEVASTATOR
ROCKET LAUNCHER
SLAYER
GRENADE
N-BOMB
TIMED MINE
PROXIMITY MINE
REMOTE MINE

man PD deserved that 9.9, if that game was updated with source and had new shadow effects....WOW it would look amazing. Imagine the first Skyscraper level in datadyne with source and new shader effects that enable dynamic shadowing (its possible one mod team is working on it)

Sir Smokes Alot said:
If they get this mod right it could be the best MP Hafe Life mod ever! Far Sight, laptop Gun,slayer rockers and K7 Avenger were the best. There are so many weapons to put in this mod its not funny here is a list.

FALCON 2
FALCON 2 (silenced)
FALCON 2 (scope)
MagSec4
PHOENIX
MAULER
DY357 Magnum
CMP150
SNIPER RIFLE
CROSSBOW
TRANQUILIZER
LASER
CYCLONE
CALLISTO NTG
RC-P120
LAPTOP GUN
DRAGON
K7 AVENGER
AR34
SUPERDRAGON
SHOTGUN
REAPER
FARSIGHT XR-20
DEVASTATOR
ROCKET LAUNCHER
SLAYER
GRENADE
N-BOMB
TIMED MINE
PROXIMITY MINE
REMOTE MINE

You missed out:

DY357-LX (Trent's awesome gold magnum :D)
Psychosis Gun (The gun which turns them against themselves)
Unarmed (Not exactly a weapon, but theyll still have to skin it etc I think)
Combat Knife (Throwable poisoned knives in Source :D)

All in all, 35 weapons? :eek:

My God, if they get HoverBikes working the same...HoverBike races... :cool:

EDIT:http://mods.moddb.com/4026/
Half-Life Perfect Dark Mod, doesnt look like they ran into any legal issues, didnt look like they got far either.

ok, wow, ive never seen so many people on here praise a game as much that wasn't hl. this rocks
i thought i was a huge pd fan cause I beat the whole thing, but you people actually remember the names.

boy oh boy i hope this mod makes it to release. we need to support them tho, and if they get slapped with an email to stop production, we need to write Rare and threaten to boycott their asses :p

yeah PD was a nice game... I hope they add in the disarm ability if they are gonna put unarmed combat in.

Back