Periodic Severe Lag

Maestro

The Freeman
Reaction score
So I had three friends over to play CS:S, and we were on a friend's server that is external to the LAN. They all have Macs and I have a desktop Windows 7 box. We're playing with a few bots added in, and I periodically experience lag of 3-10 seconds when I am playing, and it happens happens every 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I get a "retrying connection" message at the top right corner when this happens. I know it has something to do with my machine, because they experienced none of this on the same router. I just tried it now by myself and the same the happens, although less frequently it seems.

I tried disabling the DMZ that I have enabled for my machine, and it didn't help at all. Has anyone experienced this before? It makes it almost impossible to play Counter Strike.

I would look for this, but lag issues are just so generic that searching for a solution is an exercise in futility.

That aren't lag spikes anymore but connection time outs.

Your pc was it wifi or UTP/FTP?
> If you are connected thru UTP-cable, did you make it yourself or factory made?
> wifi: put the driver out of economic mode (when on low power it shutsdown the wifi for a small period or lowers the send power), this is in configuration screen in hardware.
>> Yourself: control the cable connectors for faulty wiring

If not direct to hardware related: what did you install the last weeks? Maybe the last update of the source engine causes this on windows systems.

I disabled "Allow computer to turn this device off" under Power Management, as well as "Beacon on/off" in Advanced. We'll see if it works.

EDIT: reenabled Beacon on/off because the device turned itself off as a consequence.

Could you be more specific on the wifi one? I use a Belkin USB Wireless b/g/n adapter, and I can't find anything in the configuration about 'Economic Mode.'

Back