Playing on Mac or Windows?

Steam on Mac or Windows?

• Mac

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Windows

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I don't want this to be a debate over Mac/PC. I'm just curious how many Mac users there are on here. I've played Valve games on PC for years, but have always wanted to run them on my Mac and now I can. :)

I was curious about how many Mac users there were on this particular forum though, not on Steam as a whole. And I don't think people will troll here too much. The reason I like it here is because people seem like actual human beings capable of higher reasoning. :)

I was curious about how many Mac users there were on this particular forum though, not on Steam as a whole. And I don't think people will troll here too much. The reason I like it here is because people seem like actual human beings capable of higher reasoning. :)

Oh you're in for a surprise!

Anyway, Windows. Always grew up with it I guess. And I know how to fix it when it breaks.

I also grew up on Windows and I still use Windows all the time at work and I build my own PC rigs every year. I use them for a couple months then sell them to a friend. It's like very expensive legos to me. I like building them more than using them. I do a lot of writing (Scrivener), video editing (Final Cut), and graphics so Mac is just a no-brainer for me.

*Insert Those-programs-have-a-windows-version-you-know plug here*

How dare you!! Haha. They're actually making a Windows of version of Scrivener finally! That has actually been the main thing holding me back from using a PC as my dedicated machine. There really is no comparison for Scrivener on PC...yet. PC Scrivener should be out sometime next year so I will have to reevaluate once OSXI/Win8 come out for my next machine.

should be titled "playing on OSX or Windows?" since Macs are PCs anyway.

No they're not, they are special machines, at least 10x more powerful than any PC. You simply can't do the same tasks on a PC that you can on the mac. There's no app store for a start.

Oh man, I can't wait for RJMC to arrive, I can see the comments now "mac user dont play game as they distracted whit video software" etc.

Haven't downloaded it yet, but I'll trust it run fine on low settings. It is not much use to me anyway since I only use my Macbook when on the road, so I play singleplayer games only.

What about Lin...

Moderators are watching this thread very carefully.

This is very true, but most people don't understand it that way. It's mostly the same hardware just a different bios. I think it uses EFI booting.

No they're not, they are special machines, at least 10x more powerful than any PC. You simply can't do the same tasks on a PC that you can on the mac. There's no app store for a start.

Oh man, I can't wait for RJMC to arrive, I can see the comments now "mac user don't play game as they distracted whit video software" etc.

Most Mac users I know have a separate PC rig just for gaming, but as Valve ports more of their games, this won't be an issue. Macs are the same specs or faster in specific categories. For instance, if you compare an iMac to similar all-in-one Windows machines, they are similar. I don't think it's really fair to compare a custom built PC rig to an all-in-one system. Maybe comparing to the Mac Pro, but those are like $3000. lol

What about Lin...

Haha. Yeah I would have added Linux to the list if it was officially out for Linux. You can technically run it through Wine/Crossover Games, but it's not ideal. I've tried that on OSX and Ubuntu. :)

Back