Steam Controller Mac issues

Aironi

Medic
Reaction score
I game on a Mac (I will get a pc for Christmas). I am a huge valve fan so I decided to preorder a Steam Controller in the first wave so I will receive it in a few days probably. Today Valve sent me this email:

"We greatly appreciate your early pre-purchase of the first Steam hardware units.

Unfortunately, there are some temporary software issues that prevent the hardware from functioning with Macs. We expect these problems to be resolved as we update firmware and drivers over the next few weeks.

The Steam Link currently doesn't stream from Macs. An upcoming update will add full support for streaming audio, video, and controller input.

The Steam Controller doesn't currently support gamepad emulation on Macs. If you opt into the Steam Beta client, keyboard/mouse emulation will be functional. We expect gamepad emulation to become functional within a few weeks.

We want to apologize for the delays in providing full functionality for the Mac platform. We're doing everything we can to resolve the issues. For the latest fixes and functionality, we recommend that you opt in to the Steam client beta.

We've added the Valve Complete Pack to your Steam account as a gift from Valve. This will give you all of Valve's games (past, present and future) free of charge. You can still choose to refund your Steam Controller and/or Steam Link (refund instructions below), but the Valve games are yours to keep.

Steam Hardware Team"

Even though I already own all Valve games this shows once again how fair Valve is.

It should also be noted that they say I will also receive all FUTURE VALVE GAMES free of charge.

Last edited:
I find the promise of "all future games" a little hard to swallow. Then again - I guess it is an extremely small amount of people and it will definitely keep those few loyal.

It also shows Valve isn't just going to be releasing Free to Play titles from now on, unlike what some believe.

I find the promise of "all future games" a little hard to swallow. Then again - I guess it is an extremely small amount of people and it will definitely keep those few loyal.

It also shows Valve isn't just going to be releasing Free to Play titles from now on, unlike what some believe.

Yeah, my first reaction was like: "Neat Valve gave me 100€ worth of games that I already own... Wait future, did it say FUTURE. This must be a mistake. No it's real! I have to make a ValveTime account and tell the community."

Yeah, my first reaction was like: "Neat Valve gave me 100€ worth of games that I already own... Wait future, did it say FUTURE. This must be a mistake. No it's real! I have to make a ValveTime account and tell the community."
Good to have you with us! Hope you stick around.

Valve gave the complete pack for free as well. That was all because TF2 wouldn't work and they couldn't fix it. But I didn't know it gave you the future games for free as well! Means I won't have to pay loads for the inevitably expensive HL3.

Valve gave the complete pack for free as well. That was all because TF2 wouldn't work and they couldn't fix it. But I didn't know it gave you the future games for free as well! Means I won't have to pay loads for the inevitably expensive HL3.
It may not. The Valve complete pack does not grant you access to Valves future games.
I've got the Steam controller and what Valve have added to my steam account is "Valve friends and family complimentary" on the subscription list. I believe this is what gives the free future Valve games

Yeah it is pretty disappointing that Valve have clearly released a broken product. Fair enough i understand some issues can't be sorted until you release the product, but the issues i have both on Mac and Windows should have been picked up during testing.

Back