Portal main character *SPOILERS*

K

komodo83uk

Just found this on Wikipedia...????

In Portal, players control Chell, a test participant named in the Combine Portal User Training Facility. Gameplay revolves around the "Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device" (also known as the "portal gun"), a handheld device that can create a portal between flat planes, allowing instant travel and a visual and physical connection between any two different locations in 3D space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_%28video_game%29

Im guessing it aint Alyx's mum then...wasn't her name Azian or something??!?

Yes. Not Alyx's mum. As anyone with sense would have said.

And read the other threads in this forum. We've found out about the name here.

Oh right, sorry - I didnt realise that they'd released the main characters name...

Chell?!

1167395400584in3.jpg

Combine facility? I sure as shit didn't know about this.

I do believe Wiki just capitalized what the Shacknews article said.

Combine facility? I sure as shit didn't know about this.

Me niether. I thought aperture was a contender to BMRF? Aw well I'm sure it will be explained.
Out of interest, did wikipedia back up with sources?

Man, if it's a combine facility then I win. I always was thinking about those energy pellets.

The energy balls mean nothing. The grav gun can manipulate them, and that's strict human tech. I can see it as reverse engineering.

Thing is, does it make sense for Combine to test portal tech on humans? Wouldn't they be using it already? From info in HL2, the Combine have barely managed a one-way dimensional teleport. Jumping from that to portals seems wrong.

I should not have read any of this. I am not going to believe any of the claims until I play the game, so the element of "confused lab rat" is not ruined for me.

Just found this on Wikipedia...????

In Portal, players control Chell, a test participant named in the Combine Portal User Training Facility. Gameplay revolves around the "Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device" (also known as the "portal gun"), a handheld device that can create a portal between flat planes, allowing instant travel and a visual and physical connection between any two different locations in 3D space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_%28video_game%29

Im guessing it aint Alyx's mum then...wasn't her name Azian or something??!?

That must be wrong. Theres nothing Combine with this facility. And the name Chell is never mentioned, right?

From the Wiki page:

It has been confirmed that the Aperture Laboratories were the rival of Black Mesa; it is also speculated that the portal gun will be sought after by the Combine.

someone is lying through their teeth, i just dont know who yet

From playing it, I gathered Chell is not human. :|

Something GLaDOS said. I don't recall the exact words, but I drew my conclusion fairly early on after starting.

Cormeh, that may be because they switched you to the android course and it was a general reference to who 'should' be going through it.

I see. As I said before, I had too much fun messing around with the portals to absorb much of the speech. :p

they did mention her name...what I'm curious about is the clip boards...

I saw 3 clipboards throughout the facility. One had a person, one had her mechanical leg attachment things on it, and the other clipboard looked alien.

The question on my mind is this:

What are these things on her legs? Also, Aperture Science apparently disapproves of hairbrushes.

portalchellop8.jpg

They have some resemblance to Eli's prosthetic sprint leg.... perhaps they stop Chell from taking damage from long falls?

Yeah, reckon they help you absorb fall damage (there is none).

And the name Chell is never mentioned, right?
In the credits, the one person thanked for the use of her face is credited as the face of 'Chell'. Otherwise, all references to the character are <insert name here>

Well Im up to the finale...got so darn close to finishing the job when my time was up and I died...

the first time they turned on the GLaDOS was "bring your daughter to work day". I'm wondering if Chell was someone's daughter who got caught up in the mess?

For the last time, looking at Chell's model and Eli's model in ModelViewer, the leg things are NOT the same!

Perhaps

As you get to the end, you make a breakout...lots of empty chairs, not a person around...I think GLaDOS went SkyNet on em and killed everybody.

The things on Chell's legs, are they at all similar to those the stalkers wear?

Dude, did you ever watch the credits?

They have the names of all the Turrets in there, as well!

necromance an old post..... for that.... f'n kids today...

Big wow, Chell wears leg supports like Eli.

This thread doenst exactly explain anything new about Portal, except that Bullsh*t about the 'Combine Portal User Training Facility'. Why would GLaDOS be afraid of the Combine if she worked for them, do you see any Combine Metal around the buildings, I don't.

Big wow, Chell wears leg supports like Eli.

This thread doenst exactly explain anything new about Portal, except that Bullsh*t about the 'Combine Portal User Training Facility'. Why would GLaDOS be afraid of the Combine if she worked for them, do you see any Combine Metal around the buildings, I don't.

Did you notice the dates of the first few posts????

Nah, my theory is that they're just to 'supplement' (if you will) her muscles and bones to avoid damage when falling long distances (like you do in Portal).

It's not really a "theory" as opposed to "said outright in the game".

Back