Possibilities of the HL2 engine

2ltben

*Need to clear out a house? Burn it down.
*Someone on a parapet with wooden supports? Shoot out the supports and have them fall to the ground, giving you the upperhand to kill him before he knows what's going on.
*Need to take out a vehicle? Shoot the engine and it'll die.
Keep the list going.

Those are some extremely large assumptions considering we have no technical specs on how the engine runs.

Well, considering they have said that you can shoot wood to splinters (and shown it in a tech demo), I'd bet that you can blow apart wooden guard towers and supports. The engine thing wouldnt be too hard, you can do it in practically any game with hitzones.

THe burning house is a little trickier though. No way to be sure if the engine has any way to render fire as it spreads over a surface or multiple surfaces.

Yes it does, look at the 500MB video, the player shoots the car, which sets it on fire and bounces off the alley wall, and the zombies and surroundings catch fire in time.

I wish they made a flamethrower for HL2 like in wolfenstein or in KingPin, btw who played kingpin ? it was an awesome game

need to force an enemy thoguh a certian cocke point? push stuff in his way.

i played kingpin

oh and limbs blowing off is somthin i hope is in

soldier of fortune 1 had detachable limbs (though they were actually animation frame i think) so there's no reason it couldn't be in HL2. Also the specs of the Havok2 engine (that halflife2 is using for physics) include dead limbs (if you're shot in the should you can't move your arm) wihc would add a great sense of realism. After all only the shotgun or rocket launcher would have the power to detach human limbs.

Originally posted by 2ltben
Yes it does, look at the 500MB video, the player shoots the car, which sets it on fire and bounces off the alley wall, and the zombies and surroundings catch fire in time.

That could jsut mean object-1 (which is on fire) distributes the fire to nearby objects. Doesn't mean the engine supports having part of an object on fire and spreading to other parts.

However i suppose you could jsut burn the whole damn house down at once :p

however there is that fact that we dont know and that is if the fire actually comsumes the wood, that would take some fancy stuff and would be in it self "amazing" :eek:

When they tlak about properties of objects, they don't disucss ability to burn or melt, so I wuld say that was tackled. The explosions were likely scripted or because of explosive drums designed to explode or spread a fire (a unique property). I wonder if such objects (drums of explosive liquids) will burn down.

Originally posted by Arrow
That could jsut mean object-1 (which is on fire) distributes the fire to nearby objects. Doesn't mean the engine supports having part of an object on fire and spreading to other parts.

However i suppose you could jsut burn the whole damn house down at once :p

Well, the house isn't jsut one model... it could spread to differnet sections...

Back