Power Outage Causes Steam Interruption

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Mother nature has reared its sometimes ugly head in the Bellevue/Seattle area (entire north western region of the United States is being affected), where Valve HQ is primarily established. High winds have caused massive damage throughout the area, taking out power lines in most residential communities, creating prolonging blackouts for millions of people.[br]Contrary to popular belief, the Steam authentication servers need electricity to run, not the blood of a virgin. Put one and one together, and you realize that because there is no electricity to power these servers, this is why you cannot play your Steam games.[br]Last I was told, before his laptop's battery finally ran out as he sat typing in his pitch black office, is that there is no indication as to when power will be restored or when Steam services will resume in full.[br]Hold on to your knickers...

It's the end of Steam as we know it.
It was fun while it lasted.

Oh well, *goes and plays Solitaire*

Ack... pain...
So, thats why when I try to login it says, 'Your transaction is being completed, you will not be able to play your game unit it is complete' When I try to login? Atfirst, I thought I had been hacked..

All is working except for teh shopping.

I've not fired up Steam for about 2 weeks now. I was only recently (in the last few days) made aware of the problem with the servers.

Steam works here but it took it's time to fire up. And CS Source is only 40% ready!!

I've also had another email asking for Steam account verification recently. I thought for a second it might have been something to do with this power outage & the Steam server shutdowns ....... silly me!!

Contrary to popular belief, the Steam authentication servers need electricity to run, not the blood of a virgin. Put one and one together, and you realize that because there is no electricity to power these servers, this is why you cannot play your Steam games.[br]Last I was told, before his laptop's battery finally ran out as he sat typing in his pitch black office, is that there is no indication as to when power will be restored or when Steam services will resume in full.
Valve really should think about getting a power generator, having such a large amount of customers.

Having the authentication and master list servers in two different cities / states might also be an idea.

Arguably it's too much of an effort for one or two days outage, it's just a suggestion anyway. :)

What is a power generator going to do when ISP's have no power????? Lets think logically here people... :rolleyes:

What is a power generator going to do when ISP's have no power????? Lets think logically here people... :rolleyes:
Datacenters (where ISPs are located) should have power generators already.
Besides, I wonder what he used for the internet connection?
Last I was told, before his laptop's battery finally ran out as he sat typing in his pitch black office

Back