Predict Critic Scores for Upcoming Games!

Javert

Tank
Reaction score
Below are what I think the next-gen games will get in terms of review scores (out of 10). I am NOT indicating their sales, which is what gives them AAA status, but only what critics will think of it.
Disclaimer: I am NOT console-biased. The only "next-gen" system I currently own is the PC, and I play the X360 and PS3 at my friend's house down the block. The last console system I owned is (don't laugh), the N64. With that said, here goes:

Cream of the Crop: 9.6-10
Bioshock: I'm going to start with the no-brainers. This is one of them. With every trailer I've seen, I have seen great locations, awesome weapons, innovation, AI, beautiful locations, creepy sounds, and non-linear gameplay. This will be a masterpiece and serious GotY contender. Just read the "Bioshock Reviewed" thread to see what I mean.

Metal Gear Solid 4: GotP (with Online): Another no-brainer. I am basing this judgement, above all, on Kojima's track record. Has MGS ever disappointed? I don't remember. Mixing stealth with action, story-telling with non-linear gameplay, old characters with new technologies, this WILL be the reason why people bought a Playstation 3.

Super Mario Galaxy: Sigh, do I even need to explain this one? This is the Wii's killer app with awesome use of the control and co-op being a possibility. The gameplay is something we have never seen before, with more variety than one can ponder. This Mario rocks and will be the reason why critics will pick up a Wii at least once this year.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2/TF2/Portal: Once again, I'm going on track record here, and a pretty invincible one. Sure Episode 1 was a little shorter than I liked, but here we are out in the open forest with an even stronger Source engine and a more sinister plot. And did I mention that TF2 and Portal look insanely fun? Both look fresh, new, and hip. I think this is going to please and excite alot of people. ALOT. Disclaimer: I am a Half-Life fan. That did NOT sway my decision and I would've placed this lower if not for the TF2/Portal combo. But seriously can anyone blame me for being a fan?

Awesome and Lasting Games: 9.0-9.5
Grand Theft Auto IV: Maybe some people have had enough with sandbox-GTA games. By the look of the trailers, I can't get enough. Interviews suggest that they've made the city more "alive", with more mission variety than the go-here-talk-to-her-shoot-him. But unless there's multi-player (strongly rumored but not yet shown), this will be good, but not THAT good.

Mass Effect: I was very tempted to put this up with the Cream of the Crop. Bioware's track record is too strong to ignore. Gameplay looks great, graphics look great, and the story, well, (See Bioware track record). Still, it doesn't stand up to the rest in appeal, and there's something missing, perhaps not yet shown, that doesn't compel me to place it higher alongside Bioshock.

Crysis: I would place the higher also, if not for the exhorbitant hardware to run this game as it's meant to be. There are bound to be hardware glitches and nothing yet shown of the MP. But I digress, this will be the king of PC games this year. The use of the suit and the possibilities excite me as does the environment and alien race.

Call of Duty 4: Graphics and track record alone would have had me place this higher. Hopefully this doesn't become a CoD 3 with Battlefied 2 settings. Not bad, but not great. I'd place this lower, but my common sense (by that I mean every media I've digested of it) tells me this will be something special. A special narrative, a special experience, something that fills the shoes of "next-generation as it's meant to be". But it's still CoD.

Good Games, but not "great": 8.5-8.9
Halo 3: Yes, there I said it, and I expect to be murdered in about an hour. But let's admit, people are going to beat the single-player in less than a week and play the multi-player for the rest of their human lives. Having played the beta, it's almost perfect. Some people are complaining how the graphics havent' "updated" enough. All I care about is that people are going to play the MP for the rest of their human lives anyway.

Killzone 2: Ok, make my time of death in about half an hour. KZ2 practically shamed/pwned (place preferred word of destruction here) everyone that doubted them in the graphical, design department. But where's the new gameplay? Will more media showing KZ2 bringing more to the table than just a run-and-gun? As of now, it seems like a mish-mash of everything else we've already seen. Also, without a shred of MP shown, I can't put this any higher than a souped-up "Resistance".

Disclaimer: As you can see, I've basically put down the champions of both next-gen consoles. Do I hate them? No, but I also realize reality: these are not Bioshock's or even GTA IV's. They play to the common denominator, to their base, and take no significant risk or innovation.

Undecided: 8.5-10 (aka, I have no clue)Assassin's Creed: Ok, maybe it won't get a 8.5, or even an 8.6. But we still haven't seen enough of the game. I mean the demo they've shown so far has enough mechanics to make a Bioshock, but there's still the "secret" about AC that leaves unknown consequences (Is it time travel? Simulation? DNA-jiggering?). So I don't know about this one, and I'll be the first to admit it. Still, 10.0 for Jade Raymond so I'm going to be rounding up.

Heavenly Sword: I played the demo, oh so sweet demo. But is this going to be God of War with updated production design/graphics? Not that it's bad, but it can get really repetitive. It's pretty and it's bringing alot to the table (Andy-frickin Serkis???), but I just can't get a real grip of the game yet.

Super Smash Brawl: Again, all I know about this game is that it's going to be Smash with more characters, arenas, and a graphical update. This could be really good, or really, the same. Still, the track record can't possibly put this any lower than a 9, but MORE does not necessarily mean GREAT. Will Online play prove to be just the boon this game needs to place it higher?

So there you have it, about 4-10 posts in one thread, and I beg people to agree or disagree with me. Just don't kill me. Forward apologies of spelling/grammar errors. There are also some games I forgot, or just don't know as much about (Metroid, Drake's, GT5, Rock Band etc). Feel free to add your own. And don't kill me.

My money's on Mario Galaxies and GTA4 being the big ones, closely followed by Mass Effect. Just behind we'll see Metoird Prime and possibly Bioshock.

Assassin's Creed is going to be a disappointment once we all get to play it, Crysis will do what it says on the tin, but no more.

FF13 is going to take the series to an all new level of epicness - it's going to be vast and awesome - and MGS4 is going to be good, but not the greatness many expect.

Resident Evil 5 will be the best game ever made. All over the world developers will kill themselves after playing it, realising that this game cannot be bettered :)

My money's on Mario Galaxies and GTA4 being the big ones, closely followed by Mass Effect. Just behind we'll see Metoird Prime and possibly Bioshock.

Assassin's Creed is going to be a disappointment once we all get to play it, Crysis will do what it says on the tin, but no more.

FF13 is going to take the series to an all new level of epicness - it's going to be vast and awesome - and MGS4 is going to be good, but not the greatness many expect.

Resident Evil 5 will be the best game ever made. All over the world developers will kill themselves after playing it, realising that this game cannot be bettered :)

So true

Yeah I second this.

Age of Conan: 10/10

Pros: exciting, innovative, spectacular, bloody, Stern friendly
Cons: none whatsoever, bugs are simply non existant, perfect in every way

"We were so impressed with the game we went out and raped and pillaged a nearby village putting it's inhabitants to the sword and building a pyramid with their heads" - GameSpot

"In Conan we trust" - Pope Palpatine

"You're either for Age of Conan or for the terrorists" - George Bush

"Jihad for some, Age of Conan for others" - random terrorist

"Conan ages of Hyboria is so awesome, I'll blow you if you're not satisfied" - Paris Hilton

Age of Conan: 10/10

Pros: exciting, innovative, spectacular, bloody, Stern friendly
Cons: none whatsoever, bugs are simply non existant, perfect in every way
:D
I guess I'm buying AoC. Don't want to be for those terrorists.

god if the game stinks I'll never live it down ..perhaps before release I'll ask Munro to change my name to knghenry, lemonking or gh0st ..no one will ever know

but the game wont stink /me slaps self

I'm beginning to worry about the release date. So close to launch and there's still minimal information.

ya well you'll never find me up here in canada ...no one ever suspects canada

Nothing bad happens in Canada at all, right Stern? No crime. No rape. No murder. No nothing. Squeeky clean place. Look at it from space, and you will see a shining beacon that almost blinds you. Next to it, a dark, shoddy patch of Earth: America. Humph.

Crysis, MGS4, Bioshock, and GTA will all score 9.5 or higher simply because they are the biggest names out now.

Crysis will get a 8.2.

A Majority of HL2.net said:
Nothing bad happens in Canada/UK at all. No crime. No rape. No murder. No nothing. Squeeky clean place. Look at it from space, and you will see a shining beacon that almost blinds you. Next to it, a dark, shoddy patch of Earth: America. Humph.

Fixed.

ya well you'll never find me up here in canada ...no one ever suspects canada

Suspect? Perhaps not, but we always blame ........ [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeJsYWj5vto[/YOUTUBE]

That was too easy. :thumbs:

heh not really a fan of south park (it's mildly amusing) so I kinda forgot about that reference ...stupid terence and whatshisface ..they've done more damage to Canada than Celine Dion, Avril Levigne, Alex Trebek put together

Back