http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509ae.pdf

Progress during the conference:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105572

Pictures:

http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/ps3/Playstation+3/1/e32006announce

Video of Conference:

http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705941/vids_1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3live.html

Gonna have to save another $200. Shouldn't be too bad. I just hope there's a Blu-Ray disc or two that I actually want by then!!!

Has the graphics processor changed? i liked how they kept the design of the controller the same has b4 but the coolest part of it is the kinetic controls of it... damn cool...

hneaz said:
Has the graphics processor changed? i liked how they kept the design of the controller the same has b4 but the coolest part of it is the kinetic controls of it... damn cool...

Still uses Cell! Gameplay videos looked liked the Pre-render target games!

HAHA! To all the people who thought PS3 wasn't going to be able to do it!

I still cant wait for Microsoft's Conference, still think that's going to be the best! (dx10)

I hate how they convert the prices for us in Europe... $599 = £322
Why the hell do they put it up to £400 for us... Damn leeches.

EDIT: Tax. n00b. >_<

Raziel-Jcd said:
Gameplay videos looked liked the Pre-render target games!
no it doesn't, none of those games are remotely close to some of the pre-rendered things, like cod3, killzone 2 and so on.

in saying that, the graphics are good, but once again sony is mostly hype.

as my friend said: So they've taken every other dev's concepts, slapped them into a console that's over-priced..

i will get one though. D:

Too bad. I was hoping for something new and exciting but it never materialized. Most of the consoles "features" seem to be less cool rip offs of the competition. The controllers are the same but with a little bit of the wii style sensors, the online mode has playstation points, just like microsoft, a 40gb HD upgrade is $100, GTHD seems to be GT3 in high res, many games are sequals and it will cost me about $760(CDN w/tax) to bring it home without any games (which will probably cost at least what a 360 game costs). :|

Time to upgrade the old PC again! I already have a list of customers who are going to purchase new gaming PCs this summer after the new consoles failed to interest them.

Now to see what nintendo has in store for E3. Real innovation at a good price has put them on the top of my list.

At least my brother will purchase the PS3.

I thought the conference was average. I like they kept the controller design the same the Wii rip of was sad tho. The games running in real time were cool and the price was 100% like i predicted. Still going to get it but im so psyched about Microsoft's conference its crazy.

SearanoX said:
As for the price, I think they're ****ed in Canada. $500 sounds okay here, and that's what the XBox 360 was for the premium package, but over $800 for the high-end Sony package? Screw that.

well by that time the canadian dollar will be about par with the american, so i dont really see that big of a price difference

destrukt said:
no it doesn't, none of those games are remotely close to some of the pre-rendered things, like cod3, killzone 2 and so on.

in saying that, the graphics are good, but once again sony is mostly hype.

as my friend said: So they've taken every other dev's concepts, slapped them into a console that's over-priced..

i will get one though. D:

I know this. But everything that was showed before now wasnt dubbed down. I think that KillZone etc will look like that when its released keep in mind look at the new ps2 games compared to the early ones. I still think DX10 > all tho :)

I agree with that 95% i dont think its over-priced and yes i will be getting one as well.

Warhawk anyone? Tho if you notice the clouds didnt move as in Crysis they will :)

warhawk looked good, i love flying games.

hmm, i'd probably expect killzone2 quality around a year after the ps3 has being released.

actually, the lost planet [x360] videos look damn good and a playable demo will be out in a day or 2.

edit: just watched the sonic trailer from xblive, the graphics look as good as they did in the sony press conference.

i'm downloading the brothers in arm one now.

i think many games [like these] will more or less look exactly the same on 360/ps3.

Still an expensive console.

By the way, the tilt sensing of the PS3 isn't stolen from the Wii. It steals the idea from the Logitech Wingman Extreme. At least, that's the only gamepad I know of that controls like that. I have owned one since 2000.

And as far as graphics go, I'll believe em when I see 'em in person. Not in videos or demos ... but playable games.

Meh for $599, I might as well put down a few hundred more (at most) and go with dx10. :naughty:

MuToiD_MaN said:
By the way, the tilt sensing of the PS3 isn't stolen from the Wii. It steals the idea from the Logitech Wingman Extreme. At least, that's the only gamepad I know of that controls like that. I have owned one since 2000.
Yeah, but it just so happens to have suddenly appeared on the PS3 like six minutes after the Rev announced their fully-functional one.

Also, I don't get all this hype surrounding Killzone 2.
Killzone 1 was ass-tastic.

Mechagodzilla said:
Yeah, but it just so happens to have suddenly appeared on the PS3 like six minutes after the Rev announced their fully-functional one.

Also, I don't get all this hype surrounding Killzone 2.
Killzone 1 was ass-tastic.
Complaining about more consoles using the motion sence is like complaining when more consoles started using the Analoge stick. "OMG! Stolen from N64!"
lol

Nintendo at least gives me the impression that they tried, and had planned their entire console and future games around it; hence why it was a "Revolution".

This PS3 version is like they just shoved it together at the last minute to seem "just as good".
Their version has only 33% of the rev's sensor fuctionality.

So my point is that there's a difference between progress and a cheap (or, in this case, hyper-expensive) knockoff of something that already progressed.

Having two analogs instead of one was a progression.
Having the rumble pack actually fit inside the controller was an improvement.
Putting in an inferior sensor is just regressive.

Maybe if it were actually a superior sensor, or maybe if the controller were even more specifically designed for movement than the rev's wand shape, I would be impressed - but that just isn't the case.

Oh yeah, I should add that controlling a precision analog via any tilt sensing mechanism is damn hard. Really damn hard with a steep learning curve.

It's neat and all they have motion-sensing capabilties in the controller now... But considering they got rid of force feedback, it's just not as cool now!!! :(

Even the Wiimote has force-feedback.

I haven't seen the games, but I'll just wait to see what people have to say about the graphics...

What you need to realize also is that developers have had a year of practice already on the Xbox360, so they've already created multi-cpu game engines, which is why the first-gen PS3 games look as good as the second-gen Xbox360 games (well let's wait until the press conference tomorrow to see if Microsoft can pull a fast one and show us AMAZING graphics *cough* Halo3 *cough* )

Why do devs also have to release their consoles at the end of the year when it's cold as a bitch up here in Wisconsin? I mean is the point of camping out for a console to see who has the balls to stand the freezing cold and thus only the most worthy are able to get one? Grrr... I'll probably camp out just to sell it on EBay as soon as I get home anyways... Let's pray for a shortage to get the extra dough ;)

PS3 online service sounds okay, but honestly if it's free it has to have a catch, and maybe I just didn't read it (I didn't watch the conference cause I was at a concert)... Is it going to be ad-supported or something? Or will the quality be lower or what? Nothing can just be "free" and have top-notch quality like Xbox Live... Unless Sony is crazy.

From all I've read, it seems like Sony hasn't lived up to all of the hype it generated last year (well DUH) with some games producing not as great visuals (I think it was Tekken 5 IGN said? It was one of those fighitng games that really didn't live up to the hype it generated.

Either way, we will get amazing games on all of the consoles... I'm just scared that the motion-sensing PS3 controller isn't just tacked on... That really wouldn't fair well.

^ the games look good, just not as good as they sounded from sony.

all they basically showed about sony's online service was the shop where you could buy [download] music & so on, though they quickly showed and mentioned some features simiar [read: copied] from xblive, like the ability to see what your friends are doing and upload high scores.

Ah, I see...

http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/ps3/Playstation+3/1/e32006announce/controller_up_black.jpg

There's the controller in case anyone wanted to see it... Black PS3 looks nice, though this console is unstackable in anyone's home theatre setup!!! It is one of those products that has to go standalone since you can't exactly put things on it...

The one thing I'm worried about is what if HD-DVD wins the format war? What will happen to the PS3? I mean right now it seems that Blu-Ray will be the clear winner in my eyes mainly due to the fact that the PS3 will REALLY push that adoption factor, but who knows...

*Edit* Watching parts of it now on LiveWire for IGN, and PGR3 looks better than Gran Turismo HD... Still good looking, but not uber-next-gen 1080p wowzors as was promised...

Iced_Eagle said:
Ah, I see...

http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/ps3/Playstation+3/1/e32006announce/controller_up_black.jpg

There's the controller in case anyone wanted to see it... Black PS3 looks nice, though this console is unstackable in anyone's home theatre setup!!! It is one of those products that has to go standalone since you can't exactly put things on it...

The one thing I'm worried about is what if HD-DVD wins the format war? What will happen to the PS3? I mean right now it seems that Blu-Ray will be the clear winner in my eyes mainly due to the fact that the PS3 will REALLY push that adoption factor, but who knows...

*Edit* Watching parts of it now on LiveWire for IGN, and PGR3 looks better than Gran Turismo HD... Still good looking, but not uber-next-gen 1080p wowzors as was promised...

Gran Turismo HD is very early wip. Thats the PS2 version little upgraded.

Btw i updated the main page with more info.

Ah that could explain it... I just watched video as my audio was busy with my own music (plus it's really just the same speeches given over and over...), thanks for clearing that up Raz... :)

Here's the differences if you buy the "low-end" 500 dollar version... 600 bucks is really _the_ only way to go.
  • You lose 40GB (20GB base vs. 60GB)
  • You lose HDMI output
  • You lose MemoryStick / SD / CompactFlash slots
  • You lose 802.11 b/g wireless
  • You save $100
Oh, and according to IGN, the PS3 controller's "Motion-Sensing" capabilities are more like the ones in the Nunchuck controller in the Wii... It is merely about tilting and such, and isn't really a "3D Mouse" and can't sense your position in space, but merely it's detecting what motion you are doing what you are doing with your controller... All of the Nintendo fans still have their lovely Wiimote as a leg-up on the PS3, so don't worry about that.

Bearing in mind that without HDMI you cannot play blu-ray movies because HDCP DRM is required, and you need HDMI to do that. So basically, you've buying a horrifically expensive Xbox 360 without a few things like memory slot functions. And they've shamelessly copied Nintendo.

How the hell did Sony **** that up?!

It's €599, they're using euro costs for dollar costs and vice versa.

Kangy said:
Bearing in mind that without HDMI you cannot play blu-ray movies because HDCP DRM is required, and you need HDMI to do that.
If I may slightly re-clarify, you will be able to play the Blu-Ray disc, but the image quality will be downgraded by as much as 50%.

This will justify the cost IF and only IF Blu-Ray becomes the dominant format for the next two years.

Guys, no HDMI output on the cheaper console, nore mem slots or inbuilt Wi-Fi, so I'm gonna get the more expensive vers probably, mainly for a bigger HD, mem slots.:p

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150521

"As it turns out, a little examining of Sony's announcement press release reveals the $499 model will lack support for Memory Sticks, SD and Compact Flash cards, no built-in Wi-Fi and will surprisingly have the HDMI output removed (necessary for achieving the much bragged about 1080p screen resolution)."

i m getting the full version of ps3, it cost exatcly like a new graphics card = £400

SearanoX said:
While people are claiming Sony stole Nintendo's idea with the controller (which they did), it's bound to be nowhere near as successful. Not only does it further complicate things (two analogue sticks, sixty-odd buttons, and motion sensing), but the controller can't be used as a pointer. The motion sensing can only be used to direct general movement. Moreover, the motion sensing built into a traditional controller might be awkward if the rest of the controller is used at the same time, because people may very well want to move around a lot more that way, and end up screwing themselves up. In otherwords, you might be able to use it for a racing game, but not an FPS game. It'd be far too clunky and unresponsive.

As for the price, I think they're ****ed in Canada. $500 sounds okay here, and that's what the XBox 360 was for the premium package, but over $800 for the high-end Sony package? Screw that.

shacknews posted that the price would be $549 (can) for the base system and $659 (can) for the premium. So for a little more than a premium xbox360 you can get a base ps3 that comes with a hardrive and a blu-ray player ...besides our dollar is at an all time high versus the US dollar ..should be closer to par by nov

http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/050806_ps3_date.x

I wont even consider getting one till they're half the price ...may get a wii for my son/self. The ps3 at $649 + tax equals half the price of a really sweet pc ..and you can far more with a pc than you can with a console

Venmoch said:
I think the general belief is that the PS3 isn't groundbreaking enough, doesn't have any feature that make it better than the competition and is too expensive.
Each individual feature doesn't stand out, because they basically nicked their competitors features. However, as an overall that means that they're basically combining the raw power of the 360 with the gimmicks of the Wii, which is in itself more impressive surely than either console.

Lol, the $599 vs the $499 is comparing a Ferrari to a Ferrari with crates for wheels and no engine. If you can call the PS3 a Ferrari at all, which I don't think you can tbh. Nothing special so far.

for an extra $100 over the price of an xbox360 you get a blu-ray player that retails for $1000 as a stand alone product ..the ps3 (depending on your needs) is a better deal than the 360

Back