Quantum Teleportation

If a person was telkeported in this way--duplicated and the original destroyed, you wouldn't have to worry about having to reproduce "memory," as that would be copied also, since memory is just a collection of 'impressions' on the brain, patterns of nerouns formed by that individual's experiences: 'memory' is just more matter in a certain pattern, a pattern that would be transferred with the rest of the physical body.

It's not exactly equatable to cloning where two people share identical DNA but (neccessarily) different experiences.

To me, the weird thing about it, if this kind of teleportation could be done, is that the person who was teleported would go on functioning exactly as the original one who was 'destroyed' would have, and having memory (the same brain) up to the moment of teleportation. The consciousness of the person who wanted to go from point A to B would be destroyed, but for everyone else, everyone besides the person teleported, nothing would change. The person you teleported would seem and go on seeming to be the same.

Micheal Crichton is awesome. You should read Prey and Sphere if you haven't.

Oh, I forgot.

The guinea pig cat that Barney is afraid of is an allusion to 'Timeline'.

Or so I heard.

MoMo said:
Micheal Crichton is awesome. You should read Prey and Sphere if you haven't.
Dosen't he have a new book coming out?? Oh, and there is a remake of The Andromeda Strain coming out soon.

TheAmazingRando said:
Dosen't he have a new book coming out?? Oh, and there is a remake of The Andromeda Strain coming out soon.

It has come out, and it's called State of Fear. I have it but have yet to read it. He's my favorite author. Btw, Prey was FRIGGIN AWESOME.

kirovman said:
Oh I see. I'm going to be getting my BSc soon, but that'll be enough of physics for me. Maybe I'll do a doctorate if I'm bored when I retire in 40 years time

Being a physics BSc doesn't really let me answer mainstream physics questions though, I find. I know a lot but it's mostly the stuff everyone takes for granted or never heard of before, can't answer the string theory questions or detailed general relativity (could have done that though, but it looked horribly mathematical, just to get a single formula at the end. Know all about special relativity though).
Learning Crystalography and things about quantum physics right now.

Quantum Physics and nuclear physics are simple enough to answer questions on, I don't find the maths hard, despite dealing with wavefunctions and the like.

Ah, general relativity is the coolest thing in the world, as it predicts and helps explain what is, to me, the most astounding and amazing phenomenon in the universe: gravitational waves. Yeah, you have to learn a new sort of math for GR - tensor analysis, and anyone who's used it knows that the notation is hell :) - but once you get past that, it's absolutely my favorite aspect of physics. For my final paper in my astrophysics class I researched gravitational waves and gravitational radiation. It's some of the most fun I've ever had with physics.

Quantum was indeed also a lot of fun. I took Quantum II during the same semester as Solid State and despite SS being very helpful in the understanding of wave packets (phonons), quantum was just a hell of a lot more appealing to me. But then my most fun class was the Relativity course in which we spent a couple weeks on special relativity, and then general relativity. What a blast :)

Looks like I'll be heading up to the bookstore tommorrow. Oh, and by the way nothing is cooler than intellegent killer nanobots.

LittleB said:
You have to realize, for these scientists "performing quantum teleportation" means sending the info of the state of an electron through a fax line and reproducing the electron. The electron isn't actually moved, only copied. It might work for inanimate objects someday (using gigawatts of power btw), but if you believe in souls, it won't work for living things. Nice book though :)

ONE POINT TWENTY ONE GIGAWATTS?!?!??!

ray_MAN said:
...We must also make better (shit! forgot the name) "atom smashers" that "throw" two atoms at eachother at violent speeds, forming a black hole. At this time, the black hole is so small and so brief, that is is barely noticable by the most capable instruments. :(

There is no such thing as a small black hole :p

krameriffic said:
ONE POINT TWENTY ONE GIGAWATTS?!?!??!

wtf?

BTW, antaydos, is there such a thing as a massless field flux?

LittleB said:

wtf?

There are small black holes. They occur in particle accelerators when two high-enery particles collide.

The one point twenty one gigawatts is a reference to Back to the Future.

And fields are generally (as far as I know) comprised of energy, which has no mass, so I'd expect all field flux to be massless.

LittleB said:

wtf?

You get small black holes, but they evapourate quickly, I believe, as they are plagued by quantum mechanical laws.

Due to Hawking radiation I think- Black Holes are supposed to lose mass, due to virtual particle pairs created near the event horizon. Small mass black holes mean they have small Swarztchild radius too, for example 10^-35m (planck length) radius, so encountering one won't be so hazardous (unless it damages your DNA?)

kirovman said:
You get small black holes, but they evapourate quickly, I believe, as they are plagued by quantum mechanical laws.

Due to Hawking radiation I think- Black Holes are supposed to lose mass, due to virtual particle pairs created near the event horizon. Small mass black holes mean they have small Swarztchild radius too, for example 10^-35m (planck length) radius, so encountering one won't be so hazardous (unless it damages your DNA?)

10^-35m? Considering the Bohr radius is half an angstrom, that's REALLY small. I don't imagine it would have much effect, if any, on anything organic.

antaydos said:
10^-35m? Considering the Bohr radius is half an angstrom, that's REALLY small. I don't imagine it would have much effect, if any, on anything organic.

Yeah, I would imagine the best it could do would be to affect a single nucleon or electron, but even that is unlikely, given the lifetime of one of these things.

I've just learnt that a Black Hole has maximum entropy possible for that given region of space. But about the big bang. If the big bang started as a singularity, surely it would have had maximum entropy? If so how can the universe exist as it is today? (I have not really done much cosmology, I did some structures of Galaxies, but nothing in depth about black holes).

kirovman said:
Yeah, I would imagine the best it could do would be to affect a single nucleon or electron, but even that is unlikely, given the lifetime of one of these things.

I've just learnt that a Black Hole has maximum entropy possible for that given region of space. But about the big bang. If the big bang started as a singularity, surely it would have had maximum entropy? If so how can the universe exist as it is today? (I have not really done much cosmology, I did some structures of Galaxies, but nothing in depth about black holes).

The universe as a singularity couldn't have had maximum entropy, because the entropy of the universe is always increasing.

Well, a singularity is not a black hole, and a black hole is not a singularity. And when you say "given region of space," do you mean interior to the Swartzchild radius or interior to the actual black hole?

Even if you considered the singularity to be a black hole, then you said it yourself: it has maximum entropy possible for that given region of space, whatever that region is. As it expands, though, the possibilities for maximum entropy changes with the expansion, and I assume that due to the ever-increasing entropy of the universe, that the maximum possibility for entropy is increasing as well (as it would have to).

Snowknight26 said:
Thanks a whole bunch, pushit. You just made me order Timeline and Prey. :x

Don't forget Sphere, Jurassic Park, and Lost World. Actually The Great Train Robbery was good too.

LittleB said:
Don't forget Sphere, Jurassic Park, and Lost World. Actually The Great Train Robbery was good too.

I have those/read those (except for the GTR), so I'll see..

Rhalle said:
Oh, I forgot.

The guinea pig cat that Barney is afraid of is an allusion to 'Timeline'.

Or so I heard.

yes, you're right. i just read timeline (im assuming you mean teh book by micheal crichton) and one of their test subjects with teleportation is a cat who gets "split"..a very ugly mess.

Snowknight26 said:
Thanks a whole bunch, pushit. You just made me order Timeline and Prey. :x

Glad to see another reader enjoying some insanely awesome books.

Back