Question about OC'ing AMD XP and Cooling.

adio2001

Reaction score
Hey I have a AMD XP 2400 OC'ed to 2600 (15x140), I was wondering what are the advantages of unlocking my CPU and setting the multiplier lower and raising the FSB? If there are big advantages to doing so, is there any way to do this without taking out my CPU and doing it manually or getting an Nforce mobo? Also, I am using a stock CPU fan for my AMD, any suggestions for a good CPU fan? Thanks.

I'd suggest getting an nForce-2 motherboard, preferably an Abit NF7-S. Unlocking the CPU manually is a pain in that ass and it doesn't always turn out how you'd like. If you're planning on extreme overclocking, then you should probably get an SLK-800 or SLK-900 with either a Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 or a Vantec Tornado (if you don't mind a vacuum in your room). If you're going to be doing a good amount of overclocking, but don't really want to go to the extreme, then you should get a Vantec Aeroflow, it's a great HSF.

adio all i know is wut iv found out from oc'ing forums and websites...im learning the dark art of overclocking and im taking it in as fast as i can.
newer amd's have lower mulipliers and high fsb which im sure your aware of ,ex:
2800+ = 12.5x166 3000+ = 10.5x200 3200+ =11x200
im guessing the higher u go with fsb the hoter it gets and to lower the muliplier is a way for it to remain stable and keep the heat down actually this last little spew is just me trying to rationalize all this in my head so if some amd geek could explain it it would be very helpful.

Edit: btw does the nf7-s have support for 400mgz and wut doesnt it have that the a7n8x-dx has?

KiNG you are right, lowering the multiplier allows you to remian at a certain Core clock speed but raising the FSB to higher speeds. Say you have the normal 15x140 you get 2100mhz with 280mhz FSB. But if you lower the multiplier to say 12x175 you get the same 2100mhz but a increased 350mhz FSB. Thus keeping the CPU temperature the same and increasing the FSB.

If you have money and want better cooling for higher oc'ing, i would suggest water cooling kit (good), or, phase-change cooling (the best).

Thats going to cost alot though, You could always just get something with a better default speed but AMD doesnt offer anything that can compete with the 3ghz intels.

Yeah I was reading up a bit on the phase change cooling. The best one out is the Prometeia Mach 2 it's quite amazing. Down side is the cost, at around $600USD, not everyone can afford it including me ;(. Haven't checked up on water cooling, but I hear the bad thing is condensation and keeping that under control. Also that it performs par to the best air cooling, the upside is that it is very quite compared to the best air cooling solutions. But I have just purchased the Thermalright SLK 900U with an Enermax 90mm fan, hope it cools my CPU enought to get a decent OC out of it. :)

Water cooling is extremely quiet and condensation is not a factor. The only bad things about water cooling are the price and the risk that a.) your pump might break b.) leaking or c.) a cracked water block. Good water cooling can perform better than air even with an SLK-900 and Tornado. Phase change cooling isn't worth it.

Originally posted by adio2001
Hey I have a AMD XP 2400 OC'ed to 2600 (15x140), I was wondering what are the advantages of unlocking my CPU and setting the multiplier lower and raising the FSB? If there are big advantages to doing so, is there any way to do this without taking out my CPU and doing it manually or getting an Nforce mobo? Also, I am using a stock CPU fan for my AMD, any suggestions for a good CPU fan? Thanks.

your best bet for overclocking is getting a stepping B processor, OR one of the stepping A barton cores that have the blue tint, i have a xp2500(1.8 GhZ) than runs great sub 100F at 2.2 rock solid stable, as far as cooling goes all i am using is a copper cooler by manhattan, with some good case ventilation, water cooling is great but expensive.

now time to dispel an incorrect rumor that is flying all over the net...

nforce2 boards do not..repeat...do NOT. unlock tbred processors!!! all tbreds are unlocked below thier stock multiplier(most to 12.5), you can adjust the multiplier on via chipset based boards as well with the tbred..but NOT the palamino cores.

Back