Randmap and its whereabouts

Mr. Chris

Reaction score
Hello, I'm the same guy who kept this program alive on Furnation webspace since the original developer and I am wondering if anyone might happen to have a copy of the 20something MB zip and/or a proper installer for Randmap since the copy on Fileplanet is a 23kb exe that does nothing, atop I lost FN space and forever lost it from there.

I'm not sure if I may have it on my other drive that is a PATA drive but I do not think it's worth half-ass connecting it just to look for this file.

If anyone could help me find this lost relic, it would be greatly appreciated and if one does find the file named Randmap_full.zip/exe (Or just Randmap.zip, either way it is one or both), contact me via messenger or by PM. :)

Cheers,

Chris

Ahh, version 4.00..thanks for that..I will be downloading that but I am looking for version 4.10 and my large bundled archive weighing in at almost 30MB.

Hi, sorry for bumping but I hope this helps anybody who is searching for this version of randmap. I know it would have helped me a lot since it took me (embarrassingly) a few weeks to find it and make it work.

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EWvDsOfi2TUENU2NzHy2WTpDccKed2Ab

It's an installer which is 33.57MB and installs randmap v5.00 Alpha 2.2 with a bunch of new themes, rooms and prefabs. It's not easy to install though since it's designed for a version of half-life before Steam. Randmap won't work if the path to your hl.exe has a space in one of the folders' names. I think many people installed Steam into "Program Files" (including me) since it's the default folder, so randmap won't transfer the files to the half-life folder and won't start hl.exe. Below are the steps I did to get it working.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation
If you have installed Steam in a folder WITHOUT a space in its name:
1. install randmap into "...\Steam\steamapps\your_username\half-life"

2. Rename the compilers in the randmap folder:
hlbsp.exe --> qbsp2.exe
hlcsg.exe --> qcsg.exe
hlrad.exe --> qrad.exe
hlvis.exe --> vis.exe
(This is because the batch files link to the old quake compilers instead of the new ones included in this installer)

3. Start Randmap.exe in the randmap folder and select, at the top, "Options" --> "Configure Paths" and browse to your hl.exe in "...\Steam\steamapps\your_username\half-life"

4. Download GCFScape (link) and use it to open "...\Steam\steamapps\half-life.gcf". Go inside the "valve" folder inside the .gcf and extract all the .wad files (i.e. decals.wad, half-life.wad, etc) into "...\Steam\steamapps\your_username\half-life\valve" by dragging and dropping. Then move the Randmap.wad from your "half-life" folder into your "valve" folder.
(randmap needs these texture files to make the maps)
5. It should work now:)! Start Randmap, create a map, watch it compile, and press run game when finished. Enjoy its awesome random action-packed maps!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have installed Steam in a folder WITH a space in its name:
1. Follow the above steps 1 and 2.

2. Create a half-life folder with no spaces in the path to it. I will use "C:\Sierra\half-life" as an example. Inside it make a folder named "valve"

3. Follow step 4 of above but move all the .wad files including Randmap.wad into "C:\Sierra\half-life\valve" instead of the one in steam.

4. Start Randmap.exe in the randmap folder and select, at the top, "Options" --> "Configure Paths" and type in the path to your new half-life folder WITHOUT the drive letter, or it will complain. For me it is "\Sierra\half-life"

5. Create a map. When it's done, the .bsp file(s) (i.e. rmap01.bsp, rmap02.bsp) should appear inside your "...\Steam\steamapps\your_username\half-life\randmap\maps" folder. Copy the .bsp files into your "...\Steam\steamapps\your_username\half-life\valve\maps" folder. That is the one in the steam folder, not the new one we've created.

6. Start Half-life and bring up the console by pressing the "~" key to the left of your "1" key.

7. Type in "map rmap01" in the console and press enter to execute. Or if you have a custom name, just do "map (customname)01"

8. It should start with that map. Enjoy:)!
Well, that turned out to be rather long :p. If there are any errors, it will say in the rmap01.log file inside "...\randmap\maps". If it doesn't work the first time, try a few more times and read the log for the errors and fix it if possible. I hope this helps anybody who wants to try out this full version of randmap. I'll try to help if you have any problems. Good luck and have fun!

edit: laid it out a bit better
edit2: fixed the link
edit3 (2019): Uploaded to Google Drive, should be safe now

Last edited:
please tell me where to download additional themes for randmap?

Back