Russian girl with x-ray vision

spookymooky said:
Is this actually possible? Physics students, break out your slide rules and tell me!
I dont think they can, because it should be physically impossible! :E
I mean, the eye isnt designed to pick up any X-rays. We pick up light bouncing back from objects, and that's it. If its somehow fuxed and she does pick up X-rays, you'd wonder how the brain would interpret it.
And that it is just X-rays of all "magical" eye sight wonders you can achieve is also quite unbelievable, she might as well have seen radio waves, or infrared. Infrared and ultraviolet would be more logical, as that's a less deviation from visible light.

How about terawaves? They're supposed to be close to infrared, aren't they? And they're designing high-definition medical scanners based around their application...

Zakat said:
Dude, if it comes from the russian Weekly World News then it's a lie, you see, all articles on Weekly World News are JOKES and lies.
No it doesnt come from there, it started there then BBC followed up on the story when she was en the UK being tested.. As far as I have understood.

Neutrino said:
While I won't claim it's absolutely impossible I highly doubt this story is accurate. Your theory about how it would be done, SELAS, wouldn't actually work. Your saying that she could actually see X-ray radiation right? Well first of all this would mean that every object is giving off x-ray radiation which would pass through objects and then into her eyes where she could process the information. This is impossible since objects don't just randomly generate X-ray radiation. Second there is no way that she can see X-ray radiation in the first place. Just think about how X-rays work. They pass through soft body tissues and are only blocked by denser materials such as bones. This mean that the tissue of your eye is not capable of stopping X-ray radiation at all. It will just pass through it unhindered so there is no way a person could obtain visual information from X-rays. This is due to the fact that the X-ray photons are at an energy state too high for your body tissues to absorb.
Well u know, I DID say that I didnt know anything about it... So thats my disclaimer.

why are you all assuming its using xrays? nobody said that. xray vision is just a common phrase for being able to see through stuff.

spookymooky said:
why are you all assuming its using xrays? nobody said that. xray vision is just a common phrase for being able to see through stuff.
Okay apparently I was not clear enough, I apologise for the confusion and please allow me to explain further:

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW X-RAYS WORK. :afro: :dork:

Thank you :naughty: :smoking: ;) :angel: :stare:

Sprafa said:
Anyway, both the Russians and the Americans did lots of human experiments during the cold War, my best guess this is the result.

your best guess is cold war experiments? uhh...that's about as unlikely as an x-ray vision girl.

_-_-SELAS-_-_ said:
Okay apparently I was not clear enough, I apologise for the confusion and please allow me to explain further:

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW X-RAYS WORK. :afro: :dork:

Thank you :naughty: :smoking: ;) :angel: :stare:
When you get an xray:
say you broke your arm,
they put your arm on a table area with the x ray film underneath. The film turns black when xrays hit it. there is a seperate device that emits x rays. Normal flesh lets them pass through, but bone and other hard stuff let them pass.

see for an x ray to work you need to parts: the device which emits the xrays, and the film. Normal objects dont emit or reflect x rays like they do visible light, so xray vision cant really be done with xrays.

Holy Sh*t! I CAN DO IT TOO!!! oh wait thats just a picture of a lung... my bad

I want X-ray vision, but more importantly, the ability to turn it off.

That must actually suck for her.

SubKamran said:
I want X-ray vision, but more importantly, the ability to turn it off.

That must actually suck for her.

Doesn't it say she can control it?

Not sure, didn't read everything.

Where's the picture of her? :D

Someone cougth up some movie links too to see her is action.

And... one word...

CHERNOBYL

Sweet.
Maybe I can go to Russia sometime when I am on leave, meet up with her, then rob a bank. :D

BWMASTER said:
Someone cougth up some movie links too to see her is action.

And... one word...

CHERNOBYL

Hey, I didn't say you could leave my basement, get back in there and make me some more wallpapers.

lol j/k, where has you been?

Too be honest, the russians did do experiments on humans during the cold war, many results were bad, i.e. they got new arms ect. But... if this is true... this might have been a result...

Do you know what the Russians were trying in chernobyl..?

Influence on the human mind and weather using soundwaves.

It had a big 'radio-station' or what you want to call it, it was named "Chernobyl-2".

Zakat said:
Too be honest, the russians did do experiments on humans during the cold war, many results were bad, i.e. they got new arms ect. But... if this is true... this might have been a result...

Do you know what the Russians were trying in chernobyl..?

Influence on the human mind and weather using soundwaves.

It had a big 'radio-station' or what you want to call it, it was named "Chernobyl-2".

That makes no sense at all. If what you say is true (i doubt it) then please provide some proof, like a link to a website.

The part of experiments on humans I know is true, I saw the twins that were an result on television some months ago, they were female, don't remember their names.

http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=game&s=gameplay&ss=articles&as_id_tmp=12

It's not sure that it's true, but it wouldn't suprise me, experts have said it is true.

"Western secret services seriously investigated in other effects of “Russian Woodpecker” such as capability to influence weather or even affect human mind, considering this device a USSR experimental weapon. These theories were reasonable as numerous researches on influence of electromagnetic radiation had been carried out for many years. For example, at the beginning of the century Tesla’s experiment on wireless electricity transfer caused energy break down and dozens of forest fires because of the storms that began after the experiment. More information about the Tesla’s experiments you can get here. In 1978, the “Specula” magazine posted research results according to which electromagnetic signals of certain frequency can go through the earth. Penetrating its surface at the angle of 30 degrees they form standing waves in the interior of the Earth. This in turn can cause earthquakes and atmospheric disturbances"

I wonder how that would work...is it something she always sees? Or is it something she can just flick on and off like a switch?

AmishSlayer said:
I wonder how that would work...is it something she always sees? Or is it something she can just flick on and off like a switch?
Just as you can squeeze your eyes to focus better (if nearsighted), maybe she can squeeze her eyes to see xrays :p

Just to make things clear, the x-ray vision is indeed just a common phrase for looking through stuff.
The way x-ray photography work in hospitals is like this:
There is a plate behind a person, sensitive to radiation, it will turn black if x-rays hit it. Just like a film that turns black when light falls on it. X-ray is the same but a higher energy radiation.
So when x-rays are shot at the person, the rays pass through the skin and organs and hit the sensitive plate, thus making it black at that part. But at the bones, they won't go through them as easily as through organs, so very little radiation comes through the bones so no radiation falls on the sensitive plate and it stays white.

Therefore, it's impossible for a person to have x-ray eyes. Because if a person could see x-rays, you won't see through stuff cause it's the sensitive plate that causes the 'see-through' effect, based on the amount of radiation that passes through an object. So if her eyes could send out x-rays (which is impossible because it would kill her since you can't direct electromagnetic radiation which is caused by the decay of atoms) it would serve no use because she has no sensitive plate with her. And it she would be able to see x-rays themselves, she wouldn't see anything because normal objects don't send out x-rays.

Back