Senate Blocks Repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
The Senate -- leery of being steamrolled into a pre-election vote on abolishing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" before the Pentagon completes its study on the impact of its repeal -- decided Tuesday against lifting the 17-year-old law.

"Senators voted 56-43, failing to get the 60 votes needed to end a Republican filibuster and allow an actual vote on ending the ban. Repeal supporters believe it will be years before another plausible effort can be mounted to allow openly gay men and women serve in the U.S. military."

republicans: the only thing they hate more than brown people are the gays

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/09/21/dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal-dont-pass/#ixzz10COlGEGz

Well, Che Guavara did say that an army fights best when every man is marching with love in his heart...

What they didn't tell you was that is was included in a while military budget bill. Makes you wonder what was in that budget.....

I think gay men in the military can be a good psicological weapons against the "muslins terrotists"

dont think they would like to be killed by some gay men and will get angry and loose temper or scared or something like that

Why don't they legislate against filibuster? Such a ridiculous thing.

I never understood why filibusters are legal. Or why the electoral vote system exists.

/Danimal posts a thing about the Bilderbergs and/or Rockefellers

This is ****ing retarded. I almost mean it literally.

What they didn't tell you was that is was included in a while military budget bill. Makes you wonder what was in that budget.....

But everyone in the senate loves increasing the military budget? Even decreasing it sounds like it should be up the Republicans alley given their deficit hawking.

SATAN?

I'm assuming you mean this:

The repeal of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy is included in a much broader bill that authorizes $726 billion in military spending next year. Democrats had also hoped to pass an amendment to the bill that would provide illegal immigrants with a quicker pathway to citizenship through college or military service.

so illegals having the option to get an education or serve their country as a pathway to citizenship is a bad thing? you'd rather they remained ignorant?

what I said earlier is kinda timely doncha think?

cptstern said:
republicans: the only thing they hate more than brown people are the gays

I never understood why filibusters are legal. Or why the electoral vote system exists.

I don't understand why filibusters are legal, but the electoral vote system was put in place because the framers of the Constitution (intelligent aristocratic individuals who held conservative views of Republican values) distrusted the uninformed, unintelligent public to do what's best for the country; they wanted to repress the unrestrained democracy "mobocracy". So basically, they thought and probably still do think we're all too stupid to elect our leaders.

A blanket amnesty program for illegals called "the DREAM Act" was tacked on to it.

I don't understand why filibusters are legal, but the electoral vote system was put in place because the framers of the Constitution (intelligent aristocratic individuals who held conservative views of Republican values) distrusted the uninformed, unintelligent public to do what's best for the country; they wanted to repress the unrestrained democracy "mobocracy". So basically, they thought and probably still do think we're all too stupid to elect our leaders.

Sorry; *still exists.

A blanket amnesty program for illegals called "the DREAM Act" was tacked on to it.

The one that 75 percent of Americans agree with and think is ok? The one that means if you're an illegal immigrant, as long as you are either trying to achieve a bachelors degree from a university or choose to enlist in the armed forces, you can become an American citizen?

That's a bad thing? Really?

I didn't give an opinion on it. I just pointed out that is probably what killed it.

sure if you havent read the article and prefer to make shit up to suit a political agenda

lol I'd watch the irony gods dont step on you for that little space-time-continuum-disturbing-fabric-of-space-ripping-mother-of-all-ironies-ironical statement

You're an art teacher, you understand nothing of the space-time continuum!

I know enough not to stand next to you as you might be smited at any minute ......any minute now ..any ..min ...

The founding fathers weren't all aristocrats. Now, I don't know my American history too well, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say your wrong.

Wasn't Thomas Paine a founding father, he wrote 'Rights of Man' and believed strongly in one man one vote.

Now, you say the electoral college represses democracy? I really don't understand this although alot of people say it. You vote for an electoral college person who then votes for the president, a democrat never votes republican or vice versa.

Please ellaborate, I hope this doesn't come off as too rude.

The founding fathers weren't all aristocrats. Now, I don't know my American history too well, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say your wrong.

Wasn't Thomas Paine a founding father, he wrote 'Rights of Man' and believed strongly in one man one vote.

Now, you say the electoral college represses democracy? I really don't understand this although alot of people say it. You vote for an electoral college person who then votes for the president, a democrat never votes republican or vice versa.

Please ellaborate, I hope this doesn't come off as too rude.

Well, I felt that answering his question was a nice coincidence seeing as we just covered this in my AP US History class. Yes, the founding fathers who created the Constitution were all aristocrats: they were propertied men elected by state legislatures at the time to represent them at the Constitutional Convention. None of the 95% of America, the farmers, were truly represented in the making of the Constitution except by antifederalists who supported the dated Articles of Confederation because it allowed for state sovereignty and therefore more autonomy to the people. Basically, they wanted more democracy and less central government; the government was closer to literally being run by the people. The "mobocracy" I mentioned is what the Federalists called this democracy because they believed that the lower, less-educated classes would only fall into anarchy. One popular example they cited was Shays's Rebellion, an uprising in Massachussetts by small farmers and debtors against the currently-existing government which they thought was becoming despotic, deeming it "King Congress". Such a display of ferocity by the lower classes scared the Federalists, who knew that with a stronger central government, such resistances could be quelled with ease. The Whiskey Rebellion of 1794, fighting the government over excise tax under the Hamiltonian financial system, was easily silenced by a strong force of 13,000 troops rallied by the federal government.

The Federalists, wanting to create a strong national government that was not elected mostly by popular referendum, created a governmental structure that only had one branch truly elected by the people--the House of Representatives, and only because New Jersey and Virginia argued over how states should be represented, either equally (NJ) or by population (Virginia). The others were elected by the electoral college or the state legislature, which elected the Senate until 1913.

Charles Beard actually once analysed in his book An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States (1913) that the Federalist aristocrats' money would be augmented by the Constitution. The Articles of Confederation didn't support their property holdings but instead protected the lower classes, i.e. small farmers and debtors. Federalists were heavily invested in the public debt, trade, and the growing manufacturing industry; the Constitution, creating a stronger central government, supported their investments. Basically, the book argues that the Constitutional Convention was more of a class struggle than anything else.

Thomas Paine was a Revolutionary writer who used rhetoric to aim the antipathy of the amount of American colonists that were neutral (about 1/3rd were, while the other 2/3rds were Patriots and Loyalists) towards King George III, citing Enlightenment ideas like Natural Law to say that it isn't "right" for a large land (America) to be lorded over by a smaller land (Britain). He was in no way a "founding father" of the Constitution, as he had no part in it.

And of course the electoral college restrains democracy. "Democracy" is considered to be a government that is actually run by the people and not just elected representatives. The states were left to decide how to create the electoral college, and could be either by vote of the legislature or the people. Either way, it's a vote that isn't directly allocated to the people, which isn't true democracy.

Back