Site down??

tomemozok

Space Core
Reaction score
What's happening with the site?
For quite a while i have probs accessing it,and now valvetime is down,only the forums are up...
Care for a comment? :p

We've had some major traffic directed to the site in the past 24 hours which caused the downtime. We've strapped on a few turbo-boosters to the server to cope with the load for the next day or so.

If the site went down for the whole day just from the relatively minor buzz of some concept art, you guys seriously need a new host.

It's not the C10k problem (we were falling over at about 700 users!).

At first we found a problem with the XenPorta front end which was causing mysql to kill the CPU, so we disabled that. We then handled traffic much better but the server load was hitting ~250 which obviously means the site will be unresponsive for the majority of users. We then added a couple of cores to the VPS to help, but during the upgrade were told by our hosts that their kvm host server was 'having difficulties'. So basically, it's likely that the majority of the problems we had yesterday and today were caused by our hosts rather than our server specifically.

As it currently stands, we're still waiting on an update from our hosts as to when the problem will be sorted (right now the site traffic is very low yet the load on the box is ~20).

This was also the reason for a couple of days downtime last week. Our hosts had an issue with the kvm host (and eventually moved us to a different host server) which was causing massive iowait spikes on our VPS.

tl;dr - it appears that our hosts aren't really doing a great job of supplying the server spec that we're paying for.

it seems you guy's should find a better host that will do their job better then the stuff we have to deal with now IE site going down when it shouldn't

My mum hosts a site with like loads of pictures of her cats and it never goes down, you guys could hire out some of her server space if you want!!

Let's just recreate the whole site on facebook.

Threads can work just fine as facebook posts with comments on the valvetime page. What does forum software really give us anyway? Facebook even has a like system just like on here!

Edit: Wait no, better yet, let's just make reddit.com/r/valvetime

it seems you guy's should find a better host that will do their job better then the stuff we have to deal with now IE site going down when it shouldn't
THIS GUY.

has it all figured out

Since he's here to solve all our problems, he should pay for the new server, too.

If the site goes down with heavy traffic how will fresh meat sign up to the forums?

It's not the C10k problem (we were falling over at about 700 users!).

At first we found a problem with the XenPorta front end which was causing mysql to kill the CPU, so we disabled that. We then handled traffic much better but the server load was hitting ~250 which obviously means the site will be unresponsive for the majority of users. We then added a couple of cores to the VPS to help, but during the upgrade were told by our hosts that their kvm host server was 'having difficulties'. So basically, it's likely that the majority of the problems we had yesterday and today were caused by our hosts rather than our server specifically.

As it currently stands, we're still waiting on an update from our hosts as to when the problem will be sorted (right now the site traffic is very low yet the load on the box is ~20).

This was also the reason for a couple of days downtime last week. Our hosts had an issue with the kvm host (and eventually moved us to a different host server) which was causing massive iowait spikes on our VPS.

tl;dr - it appears that our hosts aren't really doing a great job of supplying the server spec that we're paying for.

I would still look into NGINX, I was able to take a 9 server cluster and take a single server virtualize it (VPS) into a few different servers and create a 2 web server cluster using NGINX as my load balancer and web server and it has been more stable than the 9 server apache cluster.

The site is always down.

The sun is hot.

Munro is always sleeping with the cables.

No, wait.

The site is always sexual

No, wait.

I'm drunk.

The alerts said it was a new reply. Something's up. I'm going to call Scooby.

We use an addon for xenforo which adds a cms to the forum system. The problem is at when the site gets very busy, that addon kills MySQL on our box.

After the recent exclusives were mentioned on reddit and Engadget, everything started grinding to a halt so we temporarily disabled the addon so the site would stay up (our visits were up by nearly 1000% yesterday!)

It will be back when the traffic calms down, and we are looking into ways of fixing it for future traffic spikes :D

Can we make this thread sticky and post here when the site is down,and when it will be coming back?

Can we make this thread sticky and post here when the site is down,and when it will be coming back?
Haha, how are we going to post here if the site's down?
If you're having difficulties accessing the site, first try http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ , and then consider joining our steam group chatroom to see what's up, usually we'll have updates there if it's a major outage (although hopefully that won't happen again any time soon)

I meant when there is an outrage of visits on the site,and you need to shut it down for a bit.As far as i know the forums are unaffected by shutting down the home(main) page.

As far as I know, we've been taking down the front page to avoid crashing our server when we get huge traffic spikes from news stories. I think you could safely assume that if you go to the front page and instead find yourself on the forums, the front page is down. However, you can still read all our newsposts and comment on them here http://www.valvetime.net/forums/news.32/

89Ejx.jpg

Back