Smooth gaming, but only after I die. Huh?

C

CoreyGH

Most DM games I join start out reasonably ok but then become a stuttering mess. Except for the period between death and respawn. while I'm dead everyone seems to be runing around fine, no jerkyness. Once I respawn it becomes stuttery again. Am I doing something wrong?

AIW 9800pro
2.8C P4
1Gig ram

I have the same problem too , but not really stuttering. It plays fine for little bits , then I get stuck for 3-10 seconds , I can move my mouse around fine , just not shoot or move and nothing happens around me. Then everything kicks back in , usually I'm dead by then. Also sometimes when it happens and nobody kills me during the time that I am stuck I get the reload sound and all weapon icons appear on the right part of the screen. So it's basicly unplayable, Halflife 2 ran just fine and I still have to try out CS. I have a dsl connection 3.3 mbit download 512 kbit upload.

what is cl_smooth 0 I understand its a console command, but what does it do.

I dont know , packetloss would be related from server to server since the route to certain servers would cause it and I have tried out about 30 of em , and I had decent ping on all of them 35-50. Didnt change anything to my "getting stuck" problem tho.

try entering cl_smooth 0 in the console, or better yet, make a file called autoexec.cfg in the cfg folder where the config.cfg is located. Add cl_smooth 0 to that file, and any other command you may want to add. I have all my custom commands located in that file.

I experience stuttering movement in both CS:S and HL2DM, and cl_smooth 0 makes it all go away.

Try it out guys :)

it's not stuttering. I get it too, really frustrating when 90% of my deaths are from freezing. It freezes for 3-10 seconds and when unfrozen I'm usually dead. Might be packetloss, but I'm getting it on a lot of diff servers. Rate is set at 20000, cmdrate at 40 and updaterate at 40.

arsenalfc said:
it's not stuttering. I get it too, really frustrating when 90% of my deaths are from freezing. It freezes for 3-10 seconds and when unfrozen I'm usually dead. Might be packetloss, but I'm getting it on a lot of diff servers. Rate is set at 20000, cmdrate at 40 and updaterate at 40.

That is exactly the nature of the stuttering problem.

arsenalfc said:

Either your rate is too high, or your cmd- and updrates are too low.
I'm running 25000/101/101 with 4mbit/½mbit cable.

I experienced the same, including on servers were there were just two of us playing and room for 16 players. I think I even experienced it when I was running around by myself. I would run towards something and it would freeze and then suddenly jump and I was facing a wall somewhere. I also noticed one player runnign at what seemed to be considerably faster speed than others.

"stuttering", freezing, lag can obviously be caused by any performance issue. Everyone immediately blames the network but unless you regularly have netowrking latency issues, it is usually a performance problem of the server or client. This could be CPU, memory, disk based, hardware interrupts, or background software processes.

What I find far more frustrating is that games end and go to black instantly. There is no pause where it holds the scoreboard up. You would THINK, THINK that Valve, a company whose software would make online playing the most popular it had ever been would have maybe played online themselves? Remember some basics from their old games. It appears that pressing any key sends you to the "LOADING" screen where you stare at a mostly black java screen. One, didn't these guys notice that people are playing the game--hitting keys when the server abruptly ends the game? And hasn't anyone considered showing the stupid "LOADING" thing integrated into the scoreboard. I mean really--Can't the game load in the background WHILE I read the results of the last game? HL2 definitely takes much longer to load than HL.

Either that cl_smooth just fixed it or I found an exceptional server. It worked great on that server. I had it twice for a really short time in an hour. I also did something I read on some other forum. I didnt really make sense to me but anyway, someone said to change the process HL2.exe's priority to below normal.

Back