So called creation "college" seeks states okay to train teachers

ok, so you made the assumption that i want to bash atheists? thats far from the case. i dont care if hes an atheist or not, he was a smartass.

Translation: Since I don't bother looking up specifics, evidence, or studying the science behind then penomenon I'll tell people that it's hard to say.

Translation: you are a dumbass.

so i guess i found it insulting. if the last post is true i guess i agree with Eejit. the thing is this forum is kindof negative all the time and if you post something someone doesnt like they turn into dicks. thats all i took the post to be, so i said i was tired of it. NOTHING to do with atheism at all. im not trying to start fights here, just thought id offer another view, then i got tired of it cause i dont see the point in this thread, so i didnt 'bother looking up specifics, evidence, or studying the science behind the penomenon' because i have better things to do. id rather just sit this one out.

and to once again state the facts, and get back on point, it's free education. As far as America goes, as long as the kids learn their math and sciences, people are happy. If they want to teach that, then they can. There ARE religious colleges you know.

and to once again state the facts, and get back on point, it's free education. As far as America goes, as long as the kids learn their math and sciences, people are happy. If they want to teach that, then they can. There ARE religious colleges you know.

I agree. Since its a private college I really don't have a problem with it.

I would have a problem with it if it were a public college, or if this kind of curriculum was in public high schools.

I think there should be a bare mininum requirement in education ..one that doesnt include teaching fairy tales as truth ..I have no problems with private schools but if they want to operate they should at least accept a few principles ..I mean where do we draw the line? would a extremist islamic school that teaches that jews and christians are subhuman be acceptable? how about a school that teaches that germany won ww2? then why would purposefully teaching idiotic nonsense about the origin of the universe when there's absolutely ZERO evidence that supports it? purposefully teaching misinformation is just plain wrong no matter who is doing the teaching ...imho religion gets too much of a free ride and should be taken to task more often

Translation: Since I don't bother looking up specifics, evidence, or studying the science behind then penomenon I'll tell people that it's hard to say.

Translation: you are a dumbass.

I study Genetics/Biotechnology/Molecular and Cell Biology as my degree at university, but I also did a course on Geology for a year.
It bothers me when people who scratch the surface of a subject then talk as if it's all wishy-washy without any evidence or as if it's a theory that just came off the top of someone's head.
We were talking about plate tectonics and you started going "well no-one really knows". Bullshit, we DO know a lot about the tectonics of the earth, and 9000 years ago is nothing in geological terms.

Even accounting for the geology I forgot I still know a lot more about it than the average man in the street. I'm no dumbass. I'm a scientist.

I think there should be a bare mininum requirement in education ..one that doesnt include teaching fairy tales as truth ..I have no problems with private schools but if they want to operate they should at least accept a few principles ..I mean where do we draw the line? would a extremist islamic school that teaches that jews and christians are subhuman be acceptable? how about a school that teaches that germany won ww2? then why would purposefully teaching idiotic nonsense about the origin of the universe when there's absolutely ZERO evidence that supports it? purposefully teaching misinformation is just plain wrong no matter who is doing the teaching ...imho religion gets too much of a free ride and should be taken to task more often

Agreed, but there's really no way around this sort of thing without revoking fundamental rights of freedom of speech and thought.

I say, let them learn nonsense, and we can do our best to teach and encourage the teaching of real science. If someone really wants to go to school and learn garbage (read: seminary schools, theology, etc.) they should be able to. Even if the school was extremist.

I study Genetics/Biotechnology/Molecular and Cell Biology as my degree at university, but I also did a course on Geology for a year.
It bothers me when people who scratch the surface of a subject then talk as if it's all wishy-washy without any evidence or as if it's a theory that just came off the top of someone's head.
We were talking about plate tectonics and you started going "well no-one really knows". Bullshit, we DO know a lot about the tectonics of the earth, and 9000 years ago is nothing in geological terms.

Even accounting for the geology I forgot I still know a lot more about it than the average man in the street. I'm no dumbass. I'm a scientist.

OMG im starting to wonder... i didnt call you a dumbass i said that what i got from your post... as in you calling me a dumbass just becuase i said 'you know what screw it. i dont care anyway'. wtf do i have to do... i give reasons and explanations and all i get are responses to reading the first six words i wrote or something. great job on being a scientist, just means you learned what you were taught, but hey i still dont care.

You thought I was calling you a dumbass? Why would you think that? I was just saying that you shouldn't try to make proclamations about something you aren't an authority on.
Doesn't mean you're a dumbass...

Well you could get a wave that high, but it would be a result of a mass extinction event such as a meteorite.

Or the Earth just moving out of an ice age. :rolling:

Anyone, an -- anyone?

You thought I was calling you a dumbass? Why would you think that? I was just saying that you shouldn't try to make proclamations about something you aren't an authority on.
Doesn't mean you're a dumbass...

right you shouldnt so this thread should stop immediately...

I agree. Since its a private college I really don't have a problem with it.

I would have a problem with it if it were a public college, or if this kind of curriculum was in public high schools.

Thats not the issue. The problem is that this creationism college is training their students to be teachers who will go into the public school work force and start teaching their bullshit to others.

Meh, they do it in the south and central west all the time. If 99% of the people are for it there, don't fight the system. you'll just start a never ending argument that will ultimately end up no where. There really is no use, they just teach their kids their way at home and tell them to forget what school teaches. Don't bother changing what people believe, you just end up in a holy war.

Recently on TV, they had something, but the mother said that she doesn't believe in evolution and tells her kids that the schools are wrong. The kid (15 years old) said she believed the same as her mother. This is what I mean, there is no use if people will not listen.

If 99% of the people are for it there, don't fight the system. you'll just start a never ending argument that will ultimately end up no where.

Big if. Give evidence that it's anywhere close to even 50% of parents in those areas who'll contradict school teaching on evolution or your entire argument is irrelevant.

That only shows people don't believe in evolution. Doesn't show that parents contradict teachers on the issue.

Since when is it more common for parents to directly accuse teachers of lying than not?

no, just not believe them. It's very big in the south. What can I tell you,just go there one day and ask around, you'll find out.

Back