So did the patch helped?

This didn't help me either, and I think it may even have got worse.
I'm sort of hoping this soon coming second patch fixes the problems, as I've almost lost hope of ever being able to play this game.

Well at least the patch stopped the dreaded memory crash error box that would appear every 5 mins when the game crashed......Oh it still crashes but not as often and now its just back to wondows without any errors.........Brilliant..So by this time next year the game should be patched and fully playable....Roll on november 2005.....

A customer enters Valve shop.

HL2Customer: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(Valve does not respond.)

C: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

C: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

O: We're closin' for lunch.

C: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about HL2 what I purchased not half an hour ago from this Steam.

O: Oh yes, the, uh, HL2...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

C: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'Its f**ked, that's what's wrong with it!

O: No, no, 'Its uh,...Its authenticating.

C: Look, matey, I know a f**ked game when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

O: No no it's not f**ed, its downloading content'! Remarkable game that HL2, Beautiful graphics!

C: The graphics don't enter into it. It's totally unplayable.

O: Nononono, no, no! 'its updating!

C: All right then, if its updating', I'll start it up!

(shouts at PC screen)

'Ello, HL2! I've got a lovely fresh steam install for you, if you work...(owner hits the PC)

O: There, it ran...!

C: No, it did'nt, that was you hitting the monitor!

O: I never!!

C: Yes, you did!

O: I never, never did anything...

C: (yelling and hitting the PC repeatedly) 'ELLO HL2!!!!!

(Takes HL2 hard drive out of the PC and thumps it on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

C: Now that's what I call a dead game.

O: No, no.....No, its patching!

C: PATCHING?!?

O: Yeah! You just logged out, just as it was patching and about to run! HL2 patches easily.

C: Um...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That game is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of activity was due to its isp being down for maintanence .

O: Well, its...its, ah...probably needing reinstalled.

C: Reinstalled?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did it crash the moment I got it up and running?

O: HL2 prefers broadband! Remarkable game, id'nit, squire? Lovely graphics!

C: Look, I took the liberty of examining this game when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been running in the shop was that you had a pirate copy running...

(pause)

O: Well, o'course it was pirate! If I hadn't been a pirate copy your brain would not have been able to comprehend the amazing graphics and brilliant gameplay...

C: "GAMEPLAY"?!? Mate, this game wouldn't "GAMEPLAY" if you put four million volts through it! 'Its bleedin' f**ked!

O: No no! 'Its verifying!

C: 'Its not verifying'! 'Its f**ked ! This game is no more! It has ceased to be! 'Its expired and gone to meet 'is maker!

'Its a dud! Bereft of gameplay, 'Its bugged!
'Its offline processes are now 'istory!
'Its kicked the bucket, 'Its shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THIS IS AN EX-GAME!!

(pause)

O: Well, I'd better replace it, then.

(he takes a quick peek behind the counter)

O: Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of HL2.

C: I see. I see, I get the picture.

O: I got a DOD.S.

(pause)

C: (sweet as sugar) Pray, does it run?

O: Nnnnot really.

C: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

Expansion, you're trying to kill me.

Never make me choke on my food again. That was hilarious.

Installed the "patch" tonight and now HL2 is even worse - I got the famous MS bluescreens and a very crappy ingame picture ( look`s like it`s snowing). Before the I could play about 1 hour before the pc looked up and I have to take a hard reboot...

My spec:

3,2 P4
1 GB ram
9800Pro@XT
Onboard sound

My wife has`nt installed the "patch" - she only got a bit of stuttering when saving. She`s runnin with the gravety gun as I speak :)

Her spec:

2,26 P4
1 GB ram
Geforce Mx 420 :eek:
Onboard sound

We both have the latest drivers and updates ofcourse.

****ing steam. Still says the last update for hl2 was august 26th. Still stutters. I still refuse to play it in that state. Also, cs:s has incredible screen tearing regardless of my refresh rate and still so with vertical sync on. Hurrah.

**** you valve.

Stuttering still remains after that patch. Don't know how to express how much this sucks.

cu
Gargi

I've just had it this ain't fun anymore :mad: At first I had some annoying stutters, and now with the patch they fri ckin' just got WORSE :S:S this just isn't fair since a friend of mine who has a lower-graded pc then me plays the game on HIGH detail without stutters or any bugs.
My stats:
Amd xp 2700+ @ A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 (nforce 2 ultra)
Audigy LS
Geforce 4 ti 4200
Maxtor 7200rpm 8meg cache
winxp sp1

My friend:
just some intel p 4 mobo
intel p 4 2,2 or something similair
sb live 5.1
Geforce 3! ti 200

tha_pulse said:
I've just had it this ain't fun anymore :mad: At first I had some annoying stutters, and now with the patch they fri ckin' just got WORSE :S:S this just isn't fair since a friend of mine who has a lower-graded pc then me plays the game on HIGH detail without stutters or any bugs.
My stats:
Amd xp 2700+ @ A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 (nforce 2 ultra)
Audigy LS
Geforce 4 ti 4200
Maxtor 7200rpm 8meg cache
winxp sp1

My friend:
just some intel p 4 mobo
intel p 4 2,2 or something similair
sb live 5.1
Geforce 3! ti 200

Good to see, that a sblive 5.1 works without hickups, cause I also got one and I was still thinking that this could be a combination of my soundcard and my GeForce.

cu
Pierre

32839.gif

Patch/steam update worked for me , smooth as silk.

only has slight load stutter at Major loading points , barely noticable.

PS: I'm new :naughty: , hello everyone =)

System Specs for comparison:
AMD 64 3200 ; ASUS K8V Se Dlx ; 1 gig crucial standard RAM ; X800 XT Plat cat 4.11 ; Audigy 2 ; 550 watt PSU ; XP Pro SP1 (tweeked for gaming with my own custom tweek setup gathered from TweekTown and BlackViper websites) ; DX9.0c ; ASUS DVD and DVD-R RW ; a couple of HHD's 1-SATA 1-IDE.

sweet post danceej , I like da babe!! :E

ATI user (X800 Pro) and the patch has not helped me run the game any smoother - in fact I think my FPS's have taken a hit.

Lemonbarley said:
Did this patch helped you with your stuttering and crashes?

Still have the stuttering problem unfortunately.

I really wish STEAM would put the version number of the current patch somewhere visible; I'm assuming it downloaded it but I can't be sure.

the patch made my game not work it worked before steam updated the patch and now it crashes at the main screen

Valve!! That Not How You Fix Things!!!

i'm talking about that "http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=280" .. Telling me to downgrade my graphic options (and when I have fre*king X800 and the game runs smooth [except for those sound issues..] at 1280X1024,4X AA and 8-AF ,highest settings!) is hardly a fix! why not?? maybe you should tell all gamers to play at rez of 1X1 (with LOW SETTINGS OF COURSE!!) and that that's the optimal way to play HL2!! chee.. there's something wrong with your code or whatever.. not with 10,000 gamers' computers! Valve, If all the people arround you are saying you're duck... you're a duck!!! FIX IT ALREADY!! 6 years valve worked on this game.. can't push a bit more..? I hate steam, I have valve for putting steam with this game!

Kirock7 said:
Update: In my case (see previous post in this thread) using the console command helps, but only if I put it to 1 instead of 0 (remember I have an Nvidia 6800GT which is supposed to be set to 0 for best performance, right? Weird).

This is embarrassing... but I believe I had this wrong.
Short story quick: Config file read only. Discover that 0 really does seem to turn off patch with console command "mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0". Save to config - return to read only. Game plays much much better (pre-patch quality) BUT has still taken an awesome fps hit since the day before yesterday.

Just had to let this air publically... wouldn't want to see any upcoming patch go wrong becaue of my flawed initial report. :)

Specs:
AMD +3200
Nvidia 6800GT (oc'd to Ultra)
1gig Cosair XMS PC3200
Abit NF7-S 2.0
Winxp Sp2
All newest drivers, bios and updates installed.

Game Settings:
All settings on recommended: All set on high (except water on "reflect world".)
4x AA and 8x AF
V-Sync off

Question. Should the config files be listed as read only in the console? I notice with mine, two files (config.cfg and something else...I can't think what right now) list in the console as read only...but right after the lines saying that, it says something to the effect it saved them. I should note that I have *NOT* modified any config files in any way, so it shouldn't be anything I've done. Assuming they should be this way since I didn't altar them...

Everytime my framerates are taking a hit, I alt-tab to the desktop and then go back into the game and viola my fps is back up.

Try that.

badenglishihave said:
Expansion Pack, that was classic. I vote you make that a seperate post and we sticky it ;).

The old monty python dead parrot sketch still rings true today m8...lol..

The patch helped A LOT in my case. I still get some stuttering, but it's much much better now.

It actually helped me as well once I reset some values in the console.

Expansion Pack said:
Well at least the patch stopped the dreaded memory crash error box that would appear every 5 mins when the game crashed......Oh it still crashes but not as often and now its just back to wondows without any errors.........Brilliant..So by this time next year the game should be patched and fully playable....Roll on november 2005.....

A customer enters Valve shop.

HL2Customer: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(Valve does not respond.)

C: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

C: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

O: We're closin' for lunch.

C: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about HL2 what I purchased not half an hour ago from this Steam.

O: Oh yes, the, uh, HL2...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

C: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'Its f**ked, that's what's wrong with it!

O: No, no, 'Its uh,...Its authenticating.

C: Look, matey, I know a f**ked game when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

O: No no it's not f**ed, its downloading content'! Remarkable game that HL2, Beautiful graphics!

C: The graphics don't enter into it. It's totally unplayable.

O: Nononono, no, no! 'its updating!

C: All right then, if its updating', I'll start it up!

(shouts at PC screen)

'Ello, HL2! I've got a lovely fresh steam install for you, if you work...(owner hits the PC)

O: There, it ran...!

C: No, it did'nt, that was you hitting the monitor!

O: I never!!

C: Yes, you did!

O: I never, never did anything...

C: (yelling and hitting the PC repeatedly) 'ELLO HL2!!!!!

(Takes HL2 hard drive out of the PC and thumps it on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

C: Now that's what I call a dead game.

O: No, no.....No, its patching!

C: PATCHING?!?

O: Yeah! You just logged out, just as it was patching and about to run! HL2 patches easily.

C: Um...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That game is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of activity was due to its isp being down for maintanence .

O: Well, its...its, ah...probably needing reinstalled.

C: Reinstalled?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did it crash the moment I got it up and running?

O: HL2 prefers broadband! Remarkable game, id'nit, squire? Lovely graphics!

C: Look, I took the liberty of examining this game when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been running in the shop was that you had a pirate copy running...

(pause)

O: Well, o'course it was pirate! If I hadn't been a pirate copy your brain would not have been able to comprehend the amazing graphics and brilliant gameplay...

C: "GAMEPLAY"?!? Mate, this game wouldn't "GAMEPLAY" if you put four million volts through it! 'Its bleedin' f**ked!

O: No no! 'Its verifying!

C: 'Its not verifying'! 'Its f**ked ! This game is no more! It has ceased to be! 'Its expired and gone to meet 'is maker!

'Its a dud! Bereft of gameplay, 'Its bugged!
'Its offline processes are now 'istory!
'Its kicked the bucket, 'Its shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THIS IS AN EX-GAME!!

(pause)

O: Well, I'd better replace it, then.

(he takes a quick peek behind the counter)

O: Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of HL2.

C: I see. I see, I get the picture.

O: I got a DOD.S.

(pause)

C: (sweet as sugar) Pray, does it run?

O: Nnnnot really.

C: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

ROFL.....great monty python bit....LOVE IT!!
Now if only Valve had that imagination.

Yah any other case I would've said it was just an exploitation of MP but that was some good stuff... nice to see someone else values timeless humor and its applicability to current day issues :p .

Konception said:
Still have the stuttering problem unfortunately.

I really wish STEAM would put the version number of the current patch somewhere visible; I'm assuming it downloaded it but I can't be sure.

Open the console and type "version" without the quotes. If it says version 1.0.1.0 you have the patch.:thumbs:

wheres the freakin patch that everyone is talkin about for gods sake

Kirock7 said:
Unfortunately, the "patch" (if it really was a legit patch) has actually caused my game to now have such unacceptable stuttering and freezing upon any new sound that the game is almost unplayable (it's certainly not fun anymore.)
I had had the audio stuttering when I first installed and started playing the game (after the three hour login procedure), but had discovered that turning off all non-essential programs (EndItAll) kept it to to a liveable minimum.... but that doesn't work anymore.
Now not only has the stuttering/freezing-monster returned, but with this "patch" I also went from a constant 90ish framerate to a constant low in the 60's and sometimes even lower than 20.

Specs:
AMD +3200
1gig Cosair XMS
Abit NF7-S 2.0
Winxp Sp2

Game Settings:
All settings on high (except water on "reflect world".)
4x AA and 8x AF
V-Sync off

My Half Life 2 experience had been (more or less) just fantastic and beautiful up to this point... but now it's degraded so much that I may have to stop playing over the Holidays (my family is going to love hearing about the "adventure" that is Steam... and there'll be no recommendation from me to buy this game. Oops, my bad... I meant "software license", since we don't really own anything.)

I have yet to try the console command suggestion... hopefully that'll work for me... but I'm not counting on it.

Too bad I can't reinstall the game without the patch, but Steam will just stick it in there anyway upon logging in.
This system sucks the big one.
I, for one will never ever buy another game (sorry, "software license") from Steam.
The 1984ish control they have over my fifty bucks is unacceptable and borders on evil.

BTW since this is my first post: I'm 51, work in the Media, build PC's as a hobby, consider myself a Progressive (yes, I voted against Bush) and am an avid gamer.

Kirock7

lol valve made the game so slow so that you wouldn't notice the stutter. :cheese:

Kirock7 said:
Unfortunately, the "patch" (if it really was a legit patch) has actually caused my game to now have such unacceptable stuttering and freezing upon any new sound that the game is almost unplayable (it's certainly not fun anymore.)
I had had the audio stuttering when I first installed and started playing the game (after the three hour login procedure), but had discovered that turning off all non-essential programs (EndItAll) kept it to to a liveable minimum.... but that doesn't work anymore.
Now not only has the stuttering/freezing-monster returned, but with this "patch" I also went from a constant 90ish framerate to a constant low in the 60's and sometimes even lower than 20.

Specs:
AMD +3200
1gig Cosair XMS
Abit NF7-S 2.0
Winxp Sp2

Game Settings:
All settings on high (except water on "reflect world".)
4x AA and 8x AF
V-Sync off

My Half Life 2 experience had been (more or less) just fantastic and beautiful up to this point... but now it's degraded so much that I may have to stop playing over the Holidays (my family is going to love hearing about the "adventure" that is Steam... and there'll be no recommendation from me to buy this game. Oops, my bad... I meant "software license", since we don't really own anything.)

I have yet to try the console command suggestion... hopefully that'll work for me... but I'm not counting on it.

Too bad I can't reinstall the game without the patch, but Steam will just stick it in there anyway upon logging in.
This system sucks the big one.
I, for one will never ever buy another game (sorry, "software license") from Steam.
The 1984ish control they have over my fifty bucks is unacceptable and borders on evil.

BTW since this is my first post: I'm 51, work in the Media, build PC's as a hobby, consider myself a Progressive (yes, I voted against Bush) and am an avid gamer.

Kirock7

Before the patch I had very little stuttering issuses now my game stutters all the time and chops up quite frequntly as well.

System
ati 9800 pro 256mb
3.06 ghz
1 gig ram
sound blaster audigy 2

I'm still waiting on something that actually patches the game. i.e. makes it run MORE smoothly rather than less.

Back