So My XBOX360 Won't Play Half Life 1?

Reaction score
New to the boards just finish hl2, episode 1 and 2 and now want to play the original half life. but someone told me that xbox360 won't work on the the original game. So do I have to buy the first xbox now to play halflife? Oh yea, who the heck is gman? That dude kept appearing at weird times during gameplay and I never could figure out what he wanted or was about. Thanks in advance?

No, sorry you have to buy a PC to play the original Hl, thats what people get for getting it on the wrong system...

Anyway, Hi and welcome to the forums

AND, Gman is a mysterious entity who is not properlly explained at any point in Hl1, Hl2, Ep1, Ep2...

I thought you could play the original half life on xbox? Are you sure about the computer thing? I hate playing games on the computer. And thanks for the gman info.

The only console HL1 was ever released for was the PS2.

The only console HL1 was ever released for was the PS2.

Cool I have a ps2. How many hours does it take to beat half life on ps2? I am a pretty good player btw. I think my wife is going to leave me if I start on half life. But hl2 was one of the coolest games I have ever played.

EB Games is where I did, only it was severely scratched.

Honestly mate your better off getting it for the PC, It's easier to find you can buy it cheaply off Steam. The PS2 version will be quite hard to find as the game is quite old.

Hah. I buy a copy of HL:Generation [all Hl1 sp games] for 3 Pounds :D

If you cant find it for ps2, i would honestly suggest it for PC, you should be able to run it on any working pc you find now'a'days. If you dont like the mouse and keyboard ( which is probably only because your not used to it, give it a shot, I bet It will grow on you! ) you can still hook a controller up and play with that.

might i suggests xpadder! :D half life didnt work well with a controller for me until i used xpadder which is basically a program that emulates mouse movement and key strokes.

http://www.xpadder.com

I got the PS2 version today around noon at babages sp*. It's lightly scratched and right now Im in the chapter "Blast Pit". The only other time I played HL1 was at my cousins house and I didn't even play past the first headcrab you find (I wasn't realy into FPS's at that time). But after I rented then boght OB I fell in love with the HL series and decided to get HL1.

Good luck finding a copy. All I did was call a store and had them hold it.

I think that you are thinking of Half-Life 2. THAT is on the original xbox, and does in fact work on the 360 (i have personally tried it)

Half-Life 1 is on the PS2.

But no, the original Half-Life is NOT on the Xbox.

I think that you are thinking of Half-Life 2. THAT is on the original xbox, and does in fact work on the 360 (i have personally tried it)

Half-Life 1 is on the PS2.

But no, the original Half-Life is NOT on the Xbox.
Amen to that. Now stop bitching about that you want hl1 conversion on x360.

I've played and completed the PS2 version on Hard and I want a f***ing cookie, because I'm utterly useless at using a dual-shock controller.

The game took about 8 hours I'd guess. I know it like the back of my hand anyway (actually, what the hell is so significant about the rear side of anyone's hands anyway. Stupid saying), so it was just a case of wrestling with the controls. That and that door they randomly put at the end of Residue Processing. Took me a couple of minutes to find the switch right next to it, I was so disorientated :p

One important thing: The PS2 version does not autosave. Utterly ridiculous. Use the quicksave, because it seems to be a common mistake for people to not use it and suddenly find themselves sitting through the tram sequence all over again. Ouch.
And here are your Nuclear Wessons if you want to spoil the game for yourself.

Cool weapons. so the crowbar is in half life 1 not a wrench. I am looking forward to playing it but I am going to miss alyx. ;(

If you want to play HL1, buy it for the PC using Steam and bask in the almighty glory that is WASD and a mouse.

don't just buy HL1 for PC cos if your gonna use PC then get HL1 source with effectively HL2 graphics or BMS when its released *cough* never *cough*

HL1 Source is a joke.

(I know im gonna get like booted off this site for saying this probly lol) but I prefer Half-Life 1 on the PS2 to the PC. It's got improved graphics, co-op, multiplayer and the ability to play as a vortigaunt.

Sure, there aren't autosaves- you get used to it. And I personally prefer my shooters on a console to the PC (I play Orange Box on 360)

While I DO have HL1 for PC (merely to play the expansions) I definitley pick the PS2 version over the PC.

Halflife belongs on a PC, never a console, it's insane trying to use it with a gamepad. wasd and mouse allows much more versatility.

Back