Someone help me out...(Graphic Card)

• Thread starter StickEGreenleaf
  • Start date
S

StickEGreenleaf

ok ok...so i've been doin a little research on graphic cards. but i still need some advice. I want to run HL2 as best as i can. I currently have 255 Mb of RAM and 1.6 Ghz. My graphic card is a Geforce2 Mx/Mx 400. So i was wondering if i updated to a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro how well will i prob be able to run the game. Will it help any, a lot, a little, none at all? Also how well do you think i could run it on what i currently have.

I know there isn't any real system requirements out for HL2 yet but i'm sure someone can take a guess. Thanks in advance

Evan

You could save yourself a little cash and get a 9500/9600 pro cos imo your system wont allow the 9800 pro to run at full whack. If you do get a 9500/9600 pro, you could get some more RAM with the cash saved

StickEGreenleaf, imo I think you should get a 9700pro and another stick of 256MB RAM, that should cost a about the same if not less than a 9800pro. Then later save up for a faster proc. HL2, as you know will be out Sept 30, so you don't have to rush into getting the hardware just yet.

i'd say to start saving for the 9800 and by the time you have enough to buy it (look at the price now and don't look back!!!) a new one will be out and the 9800's price would have dropped, giving you a choice: buy the 9800 for less than you saved up, or spend it all on the newest and bestest (i'm aware that bestest is not a word).. that's what i'm planning on doing, setting a goal and land beyond :D

Originally posted by StickEGreenleaf
ok ok...so i've been doin a little research on graphic cards. but i still need some advice. I want to run HL2 as best as i can. I currently have 255 Mb of RAM and 1.6 Ghz. My graphic card is a Geforce2 Mx/Mx 400. So i was wondering if i updated to a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro how well will i prob be able to run the game. Will it help any, a lot, a little, none at all? Also how well do you think i could run it on what i currently have.

I know there isn't any real system requirements out for HL2 yet but i'm sure someone can take a guess. Thanks in advance

Evan

your in luck :) I had EXACTLY your specs before I got my ati 9800 pro.

to answer your first question, You should be able to run HL2 perfectly with med-high gfx options.
the 9800 pro thrives on high resolutions, so you can expect to start playing in resolutions like 1024x1028 (oh yeah)

and as for how you can run it now.... I doubt it would run... well I know from experience with other games less taxing on the cpu/vpu that it wouldnt be feasable... well I could be wrong since your specs are fine.. the vid card is a directx 6 compliant card (valve stated thats practically all it required vpu wise) so it may run... but probably at undesirable framerates (10fps max at like low detail, low res)

anywhoo upgrade, if you have the cash get the card, YOU WONT be dissapointed trust me. :) I saw a 500% increase in performance.. at least that much prolly more.
but as for upgrading now?
I suggest you stick it out a lil longer if your only upgrading for hl2, wait till september, the way pc hardware is the price should see a significant drop by then.

PS, you really need another 256mb ram man, trust me :)
(although its better -if you can find a place that will do it- to swap in your old 256mb and trade it in for a 512mb stick (better memory bandwith usage blah blah)

Back