Something steam should have done a long time ago

H

hroo772

I wish that steam would have implimented downloading from multiple servers insted of overloading the servers. If they had balancing of the servers then the nvidia servers wouldn't be swamped and those other servers like nexus could do their part in getting content out. Mabye then they could put the movies section back up and mabye post the 3 remaining movies.

eventually they will have a bittorrent type system from what i heard. just give it time

Not too bittorrent like I hope.

I don't mind file sharing, as long as I'm in control of how much bandwidth I'm using to upload.

heh, u must be using a lousy bittorrent client. mine i can set how much upload i want to give. try searching for 'experimental bittorrent'

The idea of splitting the work between mutiple servers is a nightmare for the likes of me, and bittorrent type system will be the death of my Valve product based gaming.

You see not everyone has access, or the option to get a fast broadband with unlimited download/upload capability. Example in South Africa I pay the equivelant of $90 / month for a 512/256 ADSL (nearly R1000 / month which is almost 1/5 of my total pay packet) which is limited to a combined (up/dl) total of 3 gigs / month - when I exceed this 3 gigs my local connection remains the same but my international connection is so slow it barely manages a WON ID auth.

As you can see any system requiring extensive international connectivity spells problems for me (and fellow ADSL users in RSA). I mean when CD updates I got to wait for the local game community to host it locally, when Steam updates I got to try try try try try try try try try again till it finally finishes and then battle to login. My local Game community SGS (games.saix.net) has arranged a local content server which helps a lot, but if the load is split in any way it effects RSA players extensivly.

supposedly a p2p type deal

i just wish they would tell us what they are working on and doing to it, besides keeping us in the dark

well, i don't think they are just gonna make a bittorent like system. if so they would have done that along time ago.
actually what i mean is .. if they are going to do a p2p system (which they most likely will) it won't be what you expect: something that takes off all of your bandwidth. I'd suppose that it will (or should) be totally optional for you wether you want to upload to others or not, and should be OFF by default. this way ppl won't be forced to lose bandwidth just to play a game, cuz in that case .. most people would say the hell with it! i'm gonna go play another game!

The main thing i would have wanted is to have us downloading from multiple servers insted of everybody getting if from 1. If you remember how overwhelmed the nvidia servers were when the full steam release came out. It was so wierd to see the status and see servers that were virtually empty. If we could get from multiple servers then it would speed the process and make it easier for the servers. Also the users would not need to upload at all. This idea would be just server load balancing, sortove like bittorrent but nobody but steam servers upload.

I think we do get them from multiple servers .. though I am not exactly sure what you mean.

about the empty servers .. for most of them, if you look closly it says the server isn't reporting anything and so the status page/script is just estimating .. and for somereason it always estimates it to be empty :/

The ones that are usually empty is because they're only serving a certain IP range, for example Telewest UK is my ISP, and that server is only serving Telewest customers. Good for me because I have a 2mbps line so updates go fast as hell...

Originally posted by Epsi
The ones that are usually empty is because they're only serving a certain IP range, for example Telewest UK is my ISP, and that server is only serving Telewest customers. Good for me because I have a 2mbps line so updates go fast as hell...

Telewest do like 2 square miles of the country. I hate the gits.

Ouch. No ADSL either?

Anyways, where they do provide a service it kicks ass, having an 18-20 ping on bygames.com server is always good...

Originally posted by poseyjmac
heh, u must be using a lousy bittorrent client. mine i can set how much upload i want to give. try searching for 'experimental bittorrent'

That's the one I use, but the upload speeds or proportional to the download speeds. EG. It'll let you download 0.5kb/sec for every 1.0kb/sec you upload. Not sure if those are the actual proportions; but it's what it seemed like.

Shadows experimental bittorrent client is my favourite, it even has a colored swolen testicle in the corner of the window...

Back