Source Settings Adjustment Utility for Consistent Entertainment (Source Sauce)

Reaction score
Introduction
Tired of making the same video, audio, multiplayer and mouse settings every time you download a new Source game and format or upgrade your pc? Or how about restarting the game after you finally configured the game to your liking?

Source Settings Adjustment Utility for Consistent Entertainment (Short: Source Sauce) is the utility to conquer those annoyances. It looks and works like an out of game settings application like you see for a large number of PC games. It however holds two very powerful functions. It doesn't just allow you to set your settings for one game but for all Source games at the same time (excluding L4D and Vampire: Bloodlines). Source Sauce also allows you to save your settings making it easy for you to change between different setting configurations. Source Sauce provides consistent settings across all your Source games!

Source Sauce Website

Screenshots

Download

Features
  • Set video, audio, multiplayer, mouse and a lot more settings once in Source Sauce and apply it to one or multiple Source games with one press on the button;
  • Save the settings for future use (apply the same settings to a new game);
  • Add additional vars you want to set in a config file and Sauce will set them for your games;
  • Already set the settings while downloading Source games.

Requirements
  • Microsoft.Net 2.0 Framework installed;
  • Steam installed;
  • Started at least one source game.

F.A.Q.
  • Q. How come Source Sauce does not detect Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines & Left 4 Dead?
  • A. Although officially Source games, the way Bloodlines and L4D are distributed on Steam is incompatible with Source Sauce. These games will be added in a future release.
  • -
  • Q. I have a game that is not detected by Source Sauce, any way to still set the settings?
  • A. Yes. In the File Menu under options enable "Search in Profile Folders". It will search for undetected Source games in all Steam user folders and add them to the games list.
  • -
  • Q. What does setting X do?
  • A. Most settings are explained in a little more detail when hovering the mouse over the text or input field.
  • -
  • Q. Does your program take into account that some games do not have all features that you can set in Sauce?
  • A. Yes, games are linked to a "build". These builds tell Sauce which settings are available for a certain game. So no unnecessary junk will be added to your registry or config files. You can customize these settings by editing games.xml and builds.xml.
  • -
  • Q. If I do not own a game but a friend on the same pc does does it still set the settings for this game in my user folder if checked in the games list AND my profile is choosen in the profile selection?
  • A. Unfortunately yes. Source Sauce can not detect if you bought a game or not (shame on you ;)). Unchecking it in the games list or not choosing your profile in the profile selection list makes sure that these settings are not saved to your profile folder.
  • -
  • Q. I want to choose another build for game X. Can I change the build for a game easily?
  • A. Yes, right click on a game and choose the build you want. Source Sauce does not save this preference. You can also run the game from this menu.
  • -
  • Q. How can I get the latest version or detection file for Source Sauce?
  • A. In the File Menu under options enable "Check for updates". Source Sauce will now check for new versions and new detection files at start up.
  • -
  • Q. Source Sauce does not provide a setting for setting X?
  • A. If you know the console variable name you can create a randomname.cfg file, add the console variable with its setting to this file and let Source Sauce include it. You do this by directing Source Sauce to your randomname.cfg file in the custom config option on the Misc tab. If you do not know the convar name and think it is a setting a lot of people want to set you can contact me for inclusion in later releases.
  • -
  • Q. Does your program contain a virus or cheat?
  • A. Source Sauce only changes your video settings in the registry and creates sauce.cfg and sauce_custom.cfg files in the cfg directory of Source games. Download from this official site to be sure that the program is not altered to contain a virus or cheat.

Check Source Sauce for virus at VirusTotal.com

Disclaimer
  • This program is in no way associated with or endorsed by Valve Corporation.
  • Use this program at your own risk. The creator cannot be held responsible for any damages.
  • Distribution of this program is free but please contact the creator when you mirror or publish Source Sauce. You can contact the creator by clicking on "Contact" in the "Help" File Menu.

Sweet tool, I saw it earlier at SteamPowered forums.

Very nice. Checking it out now.

Thank you both for the kind words.

In the topic on steampowered and through direct question I'm seeing that its not quite clear what Sauce does (lots of people compare it to Steam Cloud).

So let me try to explain:

You know the in-game settings menu in a Source engine game where you set your resolution, brightness, etc? Once you apply the settings the game writes the settings to your disk and registry. When you restart the game it will use these settings. But when you delete the game or format your pc the settings will be lost. Source Sauce works exactly like the in-game settings menu. It writes the settings to your disk and registry exactly like the in-game settings menu does. When you delete the game the settings made by Source Sauce are also lost.

So what exactly is the advantage of Sauce then?

It happens outside of the game meaning you don't have to start the game, make the setting, go out of the game and start again to play without any artifacts. Set them in Source Sauce and next time you start your game it will use those settings.
You can save the configuration you make so that next time you download a new Source game you open up Sauce, select the configuration and apply it for the new game.
And the last but biggest advantage of Source Sauce: It can write the same settings for all downloaded Source Games with one press on the button. No need to configure every game separately saving you a lot of time.

So the application does not need to be open while you run a Source game nor is this persistant. If you change a setting through the in-game menu in a Source game after you ran Source Sauce, the game will use that new setting.
Therefore there is no online component in Sauce (except for update notification if you enable it) and no need to create an account.

I used it to set resolution in all Valve games to 1680x1050, it's damn nice when you don't need to change res when you run game first time.

A New version is now available:

V2
-Update: Made Source Sauce more compact and 800x600 resolution friendlier
-Update: Made some adjustments for custom themes
-Update: Rearranged tabs for more setting options
-Update: "new preset" file menu sets more generic options instead of the lowest options
-Update: GraphicsCard selection screen with more info to explain the problem
-Fixed: Antialiasing not setting right value for most games
-Fixed: Textures not setting to very high
-Fixed: Voice Enable not setting wanted value
-Removed: Bloom option, does not work in Source games
-Added: Option to delete all custom config files made by Source Sauce (sauce.cfg and sauce_custom.cfg)
-Added: All options now have checkboxes so you can choose which settings to set and which ones not (right click on checkbox to check or uncheck all on current tab)
-Added: Nvidia only AntiAliasing modes
-Added: new setting options for: Field of View (requires cheats to be on), Cheats, Singleplayer Difficulty, Simple Backgrounds, No video intro, Spray (note: Preferably select a spray from HL2DM or CSS as these games can not use sprays from Orange Box games but the other way around works)

Dank je :D

It allowed me to access the settings which caused source games to crash on my laptop, awesome tool.

Can't believe I've not seen this tool before now, impressive work Kpt Iglo

Thank you both for the kind words! I've updated the game library with Smashball. You should be able to download the new game library when you select the update function in Source Sauce.

That's nice. Thanks.

Back