Started Steam back up after years of not using it..

AKIRA

Tank
Reaction score
I bought Orange Box and installed everything from HL2 to episode 2...it finished and launched Steam..now it's telling me I have to wait 2 hours to play HL2 and the same goes for HL2DM, episode 1, 2, portal, team fortress etc..What gives?

What's with the retardedly long wait times?

91 million updates.

IIRC, steam also had a massive overhaul 1 or 2 years back, which will also need installing.

Add to all of this the high traffic from everyone being on holiday, and the holiday sales and you are in for a long wait.

Why don't you just pause updating on the games you don't want to play right now, and get one game up to date and play that?

Honestly, TF2 alone has had an absolute ton of updates.

Have fun.

91 million updates.

IIRC, steam also had a massive overhaul 1 or 2 years back, which will also need installing.

Add to all of this the high traffic from everyone being on holiday, and the holiday sales and you are in for a long wait.

Why don't you just pause updating on the games you don't want to play right now, and get one game up to date and play that?

Honestly, TF2 alone has had an absolute ton of updates.

Have fun.

Well I guess you're right. I clicked on HL2 (want to start all over again and play everything in sequence) and it automatically paused everything else. It still said it would take 1 hour and 15 minutes until it launched...yikes :(

BTW, I hope my laptop can handle it haha, I got it as a gift and just assumed it would handle playing it decently.

Keep in mind I don't care if the graphics are on high settings or not, as long as it can run it with decent settings and smoothly I'm happy.

essential specs:

intel i5 m460 2.53ghz
4gb dd3 RAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD(lol)
total graphics mem: 1755mb
dedicated graphics mem: 128mb

so..what do you think..will it run decently?

Low settings you might be ok on that mate.

I have a laptop with similar specs (but older, with a T7250 instead of an i5) and I can run HL2 reasonably well.

Just don't expect it to look overly pretty, or get blistering framerate!

EDIT: Just checked, and I can run it on medium, and at 50fps. Worth a try I guess!

Low settings you might be ok on that mate.

I have a laptop with similar specs (but older, with a T7250 instead of an i5) and I can run HL2 reasonably well.

Just don't expect it to look overly pretty, or get blistering framerate!

EDIT: Just checked, and I can run it on medium, and at 50fps. Worth a try I guess!

Refresh my gaming memory haha, is 50fps good? I honestly have not played a single game in more than 4 years..also how grainy/generally ugly is it on medium settings?

EDIT: this is ridiculous, i've been "updating" for more than 2 hours and it's still saying it's going to start in 2 hours and 22 minutes..WHAT GIVES?! Everything else is paused??

What speed internet do you have? Do you have the connection settings set to your correct speed? Is your download location correct? Is your firewall blocking Steam at all? Do you know how Steam works? Do understand you are downloading updates when everyone is off work and school with the christmas break? Do you know there is a massive Steam sale right now and nearly everyone is using the bandwidth? Do you understand that download time fluctuates based on the speed of the download? Do you know that that time could drop to 20 minutes or less at high speeds?

Steam is huge, I see you haven't been around for 4 years. You may have rejected Steam back in the day. There are still a few rejecters, well 3 people actually. No one talks to them. Welcome to the age where Steam is king and better than anything else.

Back