Steam Appreciation thread

Darkside55

The Freeman
Reaction score
I love steam.

A lot of people give it flak, for reasons I can't comprehend. Maybe they're just daft. Maybe they just enjoy complaining. But I love steam.

So, post about how great steam is. I suppose you can post your dislike of steam too, but you're going to be flamed furiously if you do. ;)

I hate Steam.

Just kidding :E

Love it really...discounts on games, log on from any pc with steam, community chat and loads more stuff. Its all good.

Steam is the future. Trust me.

If i could i would pleasure it with my penis

I love it, I just wish there was a few changes to the GUI and a few extra features then it would be near enough perfect.

I heart Steam this much: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I are luv stream cuz it givs me gaems.

I think any problems with steam are the users' end, tbh.

I love it, I just wish there was a few changes to the GUI and a few extra features then it would be near enough perfect.
Agreed.

Steam Community is faaaaaar from perfect. I still don't understand how they still haven't implemented autoperform (so you can choose to automatically join chatrooms when Steam boots up) and how the event scheduler doesn't recognise Daylight Savings Time. It makes something that could be incredibly useful suddenly a source of confusion and more hassle than it's worth. Then there's not being able to switch your Steam groups from Private to Public (or vice versa); it's just lacking a lot of control on that side.

But it's early days. Hopefully with the OB out of the way Steam will get more attention.

Steam is a fair and unintrusive copy protection system.
It allowed me to save a lot of money on awesome games (-30% on italian retail version of the Orange Box).
The games are ready to download and play anywhere, anytime.
I surely love Steam.

Im writing a song about Steam to the tune of the Portal song...

Steam is now the shit. It did suck once upon a time, way before HL2's release, but that's just because it was buggy as hell. Now it's fine and it's the most important program on my PC.

Even when it was beta and they launched CS 1.4 beta on it I thought it was pretty cool. And tracker too. But of course it was beta back then and so it had some prominent bugs.

Steam is my Companion Cube [<3]. I use it to chat with my gaming buddies often. It's great for getting clan members together and playing some good ol' Team Fortress 2. Go HL2.net!

I love Steam. It's like XFire on crack.

Then my internet goes out, and I HATE steam.

Why do you hate steam if your net goes out?
/switches to offline mode to play EP2

That didn't work last night - told me I couldn't run it in Offline Mode. And I was on the last chapter too.

I love steam but its not a game ;) Should be changed to Valve or Valve stuff. Not Valve games.

Steam is awesome. Loved it from when I first downloaded it to get the new CS 1.6.

Oh and another thing; you should be able to choose whether to be notified of events on a 'per group' basis. There is this one group I joined called 'The Teamwork Movement' with something like 30,000 members and they were doing events every 10 minutes it seemed. After a few days it just became annoying so I was forced to leave the group, even though I thought it was a fairly decent cause to promote (getting like-minded team players together to enjoy games to their fullest).

Steam is one of the greatest innovations in gaming, ever. This is the forerunner of what might eventually replace CD's/DVD's being sold in retail stores.

That is the most worrying piece of YouTube I've ever seen. Please never share it with anyone again. ever.

That didn't work last night - told me I couldn't run it in Offline Mode. And I was on the last chapter too.
That sucks. I was going to play TF2 the other night but my ISP connection went out. So I just switched to offline mode, restarted steam, and played EP2 again. But I had steam on before the internet went out so Steam already verified my account. Not sure why it didn't work for you.

Oh and another thing; you should be able to choose whether to be notified of events on a 'per group' basis. There is this one group I joined called 'The Teamwork Movement' with something like 30,000 members and they were doing events every 10 minutes it seemed. After a few days it just became annoying so I was forced to leave the group, even though I thought it was a fairly decent cause to promote (getting like-minded team players together to enjoy games to their fullest).

You really should email Valve with your suggestions. Unless you have already?

That is the most worrying piece of YouTube I've ever seen. Please never share it with anyone again. ever.

See...

This is the Internet. The robots are not here to protect you.

Oh, and I like Steam, generally. I'm rather annoyed that I have to restart it whenever I install mods (instead of having a gnarly "refresh" function) but it's not like I install mods everyday.

Now I just need to find the button that turns off the Steam Community in-game. I don't very well need to know Paolo is playing Episode Two, thank you very much. I don't have it yet. You simply make me hate my friends. Damn you, Steam! :D

Settings > In-game > Enable Steam Community In-Game

You can also just turn off the notifications under Friends.

Only thing that would top it off would be better support for Mods - I know that it is awesome compared to others out there, but I would love to be able to pre-load or download a mod over Steam when it comes out.

If I had my way all games would be released on Steam. Even console games.

I like Steam for the game store and server browser, but that's it really.

Steam Community is utter shit and games seem to take way longer than they should to load.

In addition to the fact that I've had very few problems with Steam(none of them major) since I got it early 2005 to DL the HL2 demo, I also like it because it's one of the the main reasons why Valve hasn't been bought out yet by some big-wig publishing company whose bosses care nothing about games but only the profit to be made off them.

Anything that takes greedy publishers out of the equation gets a plus from me.

Steam Community is utter shit
Really? What don't you like about it?

I also like it because it's one of the the main reasons why Valve hasn't been bought out yet by some big-wig publishing company
Valve hasn't been bought because it's not for sale. Don't get me wrong I don't like greedy publishers spoiling games (Lucas Arts springs to mind :devil:) but Valve would be independent regardless of Steams existence.

Back