Steam Client Update Released

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
A Steam update has been released. With this update, we are able to have a wider selection of game collections as well as an a-la-carte system, or the ability to purchase any and every game as an individual product. No more hassle of having to buy package bundles with 4 games in it when you only want one game in particular. But the most noticeable change is the new User Interface that has been added to the Steam client. All of these elements are for the accommodation of larger and more varied game collections coming to Steam.[br]
1129084380_3SteamWindows.gif
[br]We’re not at Steam 3 yet, but over the next few months we will be given more changes and updates to our clients. The next step for Valve is to fix the beloved Friends system which we will be updated on as the development progresses.[br]For more information on Steam 3 and this current client release, please read here and here.[br]Update: This client update seems to have caused a problem with launching Source mods through Steam. But, Taylor Sherman has acknowledged that Valve is working on the issue at this time.

Hahaha... I wouldn't exactly call it "beloved". But all joking aside, I like the new feel a lot.

Okay, I just want to ask this to make sure:

I haven't been able to update Steam since late August and won't get to again until late December (campus network). At that time, will the updates go smoothly and normally (albeit having multiple GBs of data to download), or will I experience some problem with my Steam account because I haven't logged in for many months? Is there any chance I won't be able to log in again?

It should work smoothly and normally. Only have to worry about the updates.

Well, if you download steam and everything on a fresh new computer, theres no problem, so there shouldn't be for you...

I want Friend Network :(

should they not be working on bug fixing games more so than this ?

Yeah- even if you just start with a clean slate, it isn't much of a problem.

russ_uk said:
should they not be working on bug fixing games more so than this ?

I don't think the Steam programmers develop games, too.

Meaning: There's more than one team at VALVe and they each have different tasks.

VERY VERY nice try.

The new interface is too bulky in my opinion... like it was designed for the Dell 24-inch widescreen panels they use at Valve.

It seems like most of their effort went into improving the Store rather than the Games list.

This interface update prevents many people from playing 3rd Party Mods. Just thought you should know.
Head over to the steampowered.com forums and you'll see the reaction.

Orcone101 said:
This interface update prevents many people from playing 3rd Party Mods. Just thought you should know.

And Taylor knows of it and said he'd get on it.

Orcone101 said:
Yeah, hl2.exe crashes whenever I try to launch Minerva.

does this new update allow us to use other Steam skins?
just curious as to if they fixed that.

One of our players found a workaround fix for 3rd party mods:
http://dystopia-game.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4217
Create a Desktop shortcut by right clicking on Dystopia in Steam. Then locate the new shortcut on your desktop, right-click and select "Properties". In the "Target" field, it should say something like:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 220 -game "e:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\dystopia"

Just change the "220" to "240" (which is the code for CS:S). I have no idea why this works, but it does. Enjoy!!
This should work for anyone with CS:S installed.

Well, they finally implemented the ability to enlarge and collapse categories. Now, if they could only clean up the mess of games and sort them out based on the engine or genre, i'd be one happy camper.

Oh yeah, an opaque option would be nice too.

I like the new look and options. To many more updates!

why should it look differently from the beta?

i like the new steam... :)
but vavle should have released a bug free version... since there was a "beta test" ;)

I love the part where the new bulky GUI is forced on you.

hurray ! RDKF dissapeared from "my games" list !
let's only hope future steam games will continue this trend and only appear when you have actually anything to do with them.
too bad the only feature pretty much everyone was waiting for - customizable games list - is M.I.A :|

Been loving the new UI all last week and still loving it now, just too many damn updates each time i wake up.

Am I blind or it's not possible to upgrade my bronze package to the source premier pack...

deekey777 said:
Am I blind or it's not possible to upgrade my bronze package to the source premier pack...
Whats the source premier pack?
IF you mean upgrade bronze to silver or Gold, then the answer is no, there is no way to upgrade.
If you want DoD:S you'll just have to play for it seperately

Shens said:
It should work smoothly and normally. Only have to worry about the updates.
That's good to hear. Just wanted to make sure Valve didn't do any kind of deactivation after months of time going by without connecting to your account.

Oh my God! I think it looks awful. I can see what people were saying now. I'm going to miss the old Steam. this is ugly as they come. I've also lost all my favourites which is a bit of a pain!! Anyway to get the old Steam back? I was happy with that.

The full view isn't all that great (mainly due to the wasted space at the bottom)... but I definately like it when you roll it up into the "mini games list." Now, if they could just add user customization of the game list and tighten up the full view a bit, I wouldn't have any complaints.

The old steam look was fugly and bland. Ya'll just ain't got style. :p

I was perfectly happy with the old one, but like some other guy in this thread - I can't access steam at all because my campus network is shite. I'd be happy with no file-sharing, or a 'meagre' 512kbps speed, but we're paying £60 a year and the only extra service we;re allowed is MSN or Yahoo Messenger.

one cool thing is that if you get the gray version, it looks a lot like the interface in hl2/css, thats kinda neat :)

quite nice. more organised feel to it, and the skin is alot more 'modern' compared to the old bland one.

nice move Valve.

mezz said:
Whats the source premier pack?
IF you mean upgrade bronze to silver or Gold, then the answer is no, there is no way to upgrade.
If you want DoD:S you'll just have to play for it seperately

what the hell are you blithering on about you idiot. I upgraded my bronze to a silver for $10, get your fact straight first before spouting absolute rubbish

Dipso said:
one cool thing is that if you get the gray version, it looks a lot like the interface in hl2/css, thats kinda neat :)

Grey version? How?

It looks like an ugly green MSN

Was it really necessary to change it? What have we gained? My shop doesn't seem to work, all my favourites have gone, friends STILL doesn't work ......... now there's a waist of time for you if you like!

Back